How do you measure body fat at home?

Options
I'm curious how people measure and track their body fat percentage. I have the Omron HBF-306C Hand Held Body Fat Analyzer. It's okay but seems to vary a lot. Do you have an at home way to measure body fat that you find to be accurate and not to difficult or time consuming?

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    i use bodyfat calipers. Not as quick to get a measurement as scales but you get a more accurate result. The electronic scales vary too much based on hydration levels i have found.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Mirror

:smile:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    tape measure and mirror..

those hand held things are massively inaccurate...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Bodyfat calipers (like $15 ones) and the assistance of my wife.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have an Omron scale with 4 connectors - 2 hands, 2 feet. This is what I use most often.

I also have calipers. I use this less often because it is less convenient.

When I get to my goal weight, which will probably be before the end of this year, I plan to get a BodPod test.

The Omron scale is always much higher than calipers... obviously unrealistically high. But it is mostly consistent.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    There's no way to accurately measure BF at home. Everything is just a guess. Calipers or bio-resistance device, take your pick. It will be inaccurate by at least 5-10%, most likely on the high side.

You can gauge your progress w/a tape measure, just looking in the mirror, taking pics and trying on old/smaller clothes BUT the only ways to truly measure BF is to get DEXA scanned or weighed hydrostatically.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    tape measure and mirror..

This. As well as taking photos. I don't go for an exact number but progress. As long as I am heading in the right direction I'm happy