Peer Reviewed Articles

Options
Has anybody--either in an MFP forum, or personally--gathered/curated a set of peer-reviewed, research journal articles that they have found particularly helpful in explaining the various aspects of weight loss (e.g., diet/nutrition, fitness/exercise, psychology)?

I would be interested in seeing such a list in order to further develop my understanding of the various facets of weight loss, but I'd like them to be peer-reviewed, as opposed to from popular magazines or the world of bro-science.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• firlena227
    firlena227 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Have you tried looking on google scholar? There might not be a curated list but it might be a good place to start... more reliable than most magazines, anyway! Although you can't always access the newer articles without paying a fee to the university/company that owns it.
  • ItsyBitsy246
    ItsyBitsy246 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen a compendium on MFP, but many universities have (or at least had) free guest-borrower privileges you can apply for. When I stopped university teaching I did this so I'd still have access to a university library and the online journals they subscribe to.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Has anybody--either in an MFP forum, or personally--gathered/curated a set of peer-reviewed, research journal articles that they have found particularly helpful in explaining the various aspects of weight loss (e.g., diet/nutrition, fitness/exercise, psychology)?

I would be interested in seeing such a list in order to further develop my understanding of the various facets of weight loss, but I'd like them to be peer-reviewed, as opposed to from popular magazines or the world of bro-science.

I have tons of articles saved, but they're on topics that interest me personally, so it won't read like a "how to" book. Rather than wade through countless articles, you might consider college textbooks. They tend to represent the consensus among experts in the field, and the info is organized into a logical sequence and has citations. Try to get editions from the last 5 years (university bookstores & libraries, Ebay, used book shops, etc). But to be honest, most of the basics don't change - eat less, move more, etc. :+1:
  • karafindsfit35
    karafindsfit35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    laur357 wrote: »
    Get yourself to a hospital or academic medical center library (any university with a decent medical or nursing program would be just fine too). You'll be able to access a lot more and the librarians will (usually - depends on their non-affiliate policy) be happy to help you build searches and pull peer-reviewed research and systematic reviews of the literature. You'll also be on the hospital/university network and may be able to take advantage of their journal subscriptions so you don't have to pay separately for articles that aren't open access as of yet.

Systematic reviews are meta-analyses of peer reviewed results to build an overarching guideline or answer a question. Well done systematic reviews are currently the gold standard for evidence-based medicine and scientific research. Cochrane Reviews database is a great resource. Pubmed.gov Clinical Queries is also a good option: https://www.nlm.nih.gov/bsd/disted/pubmedtutorial/020_590.html

Much luck to you,
    Your Friendly Medical Librarian

I'm also a Medical Librarian...I second this :smile:
  • InigoAndTheVoid
    InigoAndTheVoid Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have read a bunch of literature via pubmed as suggested above and it's worth noting that you won't find too much that's encouraging. In general, studies of weight loss in large populations find that the best interventions result in very low amounts of fat loss, like 4 lbs in 6 months or something. In general, the sort of success that people see on this site, myself included, isnt seen in these studies. That said, going to the source is always a good idea.

You can get good info on metabolism and nutrition, but I think the mechanics of weight loss are pretty easy to come to grips with. Actually executing them is the hard bit (maybe some reading on hormones will make this clearer). That will be really personal. For me it was finding a sport, rock climbing, that I really wanted to train for.
  • stephenearllucas
    stephenearllucas Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @stephenearllucas I don't have a list of articles to offer because I've never personally bothered as I prefer to keep weight loss simple and not get distracted by the minutia of it (ie boils down to eat less, move more for me). That said i don't fault people wanting to look more into the detail and I do have journal access to most scientific jounals so if you DO find yourself a list but end up not being able to get access to the articles feel free to PM me with requests.

Cheers
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    In my profile, I have links to many posts/articles. The ones from bodyrecomposition.com and bayesianbodybuilding.com tend to be research reviews or articles with citations. My profile is viewable if you want to look at them.
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    In my profile, I have links to many posts/articles. The ones from bodyrecomposition.com and bayesianbodybuilding.com tend to be research reviews or articles with citations. My profile is viewable if you want to look at them.

Bodyrecomposition.com has tons of evidence-based articles about fat loss, training, nutrition, etc. - many with links/references to studies. It's a gold mine of information.

Another excellent source (but not free) is Alan Aragon's Research Review. I won't link to it since it's a pay site (even though I have no affiliation with it), but a Google search turns it up very quickly.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Here is one of the very debated topic of starvation mode https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22414/