Good Workout DVD's for heavier person

Options
Hello!

I am looking for good recommendations on workout videos (or any workout) that is good for a beginner (and very overweight person).

Also has anyone tried the 30 minute express workout at Planet Fitness?

Replies

• Spook_Skywalker
    Spook_Skywalker Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've done the T25 workout with my mom. She is older and was heavy for her height at the time. They had modified workouts during the routine that she did and it worked out well. It's a good workout in a short amount of time.
  • MJFSH
    MJFSH Posts: 7,252 Member
    Options
    There are so many good workout programs out there. you can modify, do the best you can do but try to push your limits a bit more every day.
    i can name way too many, mostly beachbody programs but there are more. walmart has Jillian Michaels programs so cheap you can try those too. remember to modify but push harder every day
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You can also check out fitness blender. Com. They have tons of free workout videos for all fitness levels goals and desired times.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Agree, walk away the pounds. I also started my journey with the 21 Day Fix. I needed to modify it at first but it is short so I just did it 3 rounds until I was no longer using the modifiers and then I moved on.
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Get on YouTube and look for Jessica Smith TV
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Take a look on YouTube for CoachTulin ... a big woman who is now a Health & Fittness Motivator ... she puts out new exercise videios every Thursday. ... I've followed many of her suggestions.
    www.youtube.com/user/CoachTulin/playlists
  • fletchleg13
    fletchleg13 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started with Leslie Sansone walking dvds and then went onto 30 day shred. Just go at your own pace if you only manage half the DVD it doesn't matter, it's something. Also if you're just starting out Jillian Michaels beginner shred is really good for low impact stuff as well. Keep at it and before you know it you'll be improving massively.
  • Quilty60
    Quilty60 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't do any part of a routine that puts stress on your knees. At least until you have lost weight. If there is any jumping, I would replace with lifting your legs. You will still get the benefits. Walking and dancing is another good exercise.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I also agree with Walk Away the Pounds. I liked using those when I first started out. I mostly used them because they were easy to follow (I'm VERY uncoordinated, haha) but also I think that they're very good to get your heart rate up without overly straining any of your joints or anything, and you can very easily modify to go a bit faster or slower if you need to.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Almost any dvd or workout video will give low impact or beginner modifications. Biggest loser has some...but I really enjoy turbo jam and Shaun T's rockin'body
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    I always thought the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds videos were great if you're very overweight.

This^

Walking style workouts are low impact. Because there is (little or) no choreography, you can modify any moves you don't like.

Here are some workouts:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

Jessica Smith has walking style workouts too:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=otzetqGQ8bE
  • TeaBea
    edited October 2016
    Options
    There are brands of DVDs for bigger folks........your library may have some

http://www.collagevideo.com/search?q=plus+size

Try looking for Mega Yoga, Shapely Girl, and Just My Size
  • Julesbait
    Julesbait Posts: 190 Member
    Options

This! Same concept of workouts as Leslie Sansone, but not nearly as annoying. lol
  • TeaBea
    Options
    Julesbait wrote: »

This! Same concept of workouts as Leslie Sansone, but not nearly as annoying. lol

I like Jessica too. Leslie doesn't have to be annoying though. Newer DVDs (Just Walk) give you a music only option, plus they are chaptered. You can pick & choose your favorite miles.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walk videos
  • thatgirl_blue
    thatgirl_blue Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Almost any dvd or workout video will give low impact or beginner modifications. Biggest loser has some...but I really enjoy turbo jam and Shaun T's rockin'body

I'm a fan of Turbo Jam also.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Tbh for me workout dvds got sooo boring and being the gamer person that I am I chose playing just dance on the wii also for the Wii U their so fun!