Lifting every 3rd day

Options
dws00
dws00 Posts: 159 Member
I work a schedule where I am able to lift weights every third day. What do you recommend for a routine? Thanks.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think I'd do a full body workout in that situation. Just to be clear, is this what you mean:

Monday - lift
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday - lift
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday - lift
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 works on a 3 day rotation
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 works on a 3 day rotation

Yep. This^ You can check it out and download the app at stronglifts.com.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    donaldws00 wrote: »
    I work a schedule where I am able to lift weights every third day. What do you recommend for a routine? Thanks.

I'm really not sure how you mean.

jemhh wrote: »
    I think I'd do a full body workout in that situation. Just to be clear, is this what you mean:

Monday - lift
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday - lift
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday - lift

If this is correct, what happens on the following week? Does your schedule shift so that you'd lift on Wednesday, Saturday and Tuesday? Or do you workout back to back days Sunday and Monday?

Seems like either alternative (Whole body when you can workout or SL 5x5 on a three day rotation {that Sunday/ Monday thing comes back})

I'd lean toward the whole body routine when you can.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »

I'm really not sure how you mean.

jemhh wrote: »

Monday - lift
    Tuesday
    Wednesday
    Thursday - lift
    Friday
    Saturday
    Sunday - lift

If this is correct, what happens on the following week? Does your schedule shift so that you'd lift on Wednesday, Saturday and Tuesday? Or do you run I to back to back days Sunday and Monday?

Seems like either alternative (Whole body when you can workout or SL 5x5 on a three day rotation {that Sunday/ Monday thing comes back})

I'd lean toward the whole body routine when you can.

I assumed every third day meant every third day. Sun, Weds, Sat, Tues, Fri, Mon, Thurs, Sun, etc, infinity... Not resetting each week. Stronglifts will totally work for that.
  • ScoobaChick
    ScoobaChick Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lift Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (doing Strong by Schuler/Cosgrove right now). No lifting on week-ends.
  • dws00
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am able to lift weights at work which my shift is on a 24 hour on, 48 hour off continuous rotation. So, my days always rotate, but it will be, one day on, two days off, one day on, two days off, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. I am able to lift weights at work which my shift is on a 24 hour on, 48 hour off continuous rotation. So, my days always rotate, but it will be, one day on, two days off, one day on, two days off, etc.

Yeah, just do any full body routine...SL 5x5 has been mentioned, but there are numerous full body programs out there. With that schedule though, you want to do full body, not splits...you want your programming to be efficient and to focus on compound movements and variations of those movements.

Mon: on A
    Tues: off
    Wed: off
    Thurs on B
    Fri: off
    Sat: off
    Sun: on A
    Mon: off
    Tues: off
    Wed: on B
    Thurs: off
    Fri: off
    Sat: on A
  • dws00
    Options
    Thanks!
  • FiremanDanTRK24
    FiremanDanTRK24 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat ( assuming you are a fireman as well ) I am currently doing StrongLifts and in the past have done StrongLifts or a variation of it. It works well for me. I have also noticed better results with this where as before I was doing a full body routine with compound lifts and ISO work as well. Sticking with the SL I have noticed I have gotten better gains, lost more body fat, and after a workout I was not as sore or worn out if we caught a fire later in the shift.
  • dws00
    Options
    Thanks!