Food intolerances test

Options
Hello, guys, how are you? Not long ago I did this" food intolerances test" that cost me 470£, and basically m intolerant to 80% of the food I love... is that a real thing? Do I have to follow it? I will really wanna know more about it... thanks!!! <3

Replies

• T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    never heard of such a thing. what is the purpose? is this allergy test for medical purposes?
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's a real thing. Did you not get the test done because it would help explain some health issues you have?

As for "do you have to follow it", it's up to you. If the intolerances cause problems with your health, at least you're ingesting the food with your eyes wide open. If you want to feel better, try taking them out and see what happens.

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Intolerance doesn't mean allergy. They test for enough and they will find you are positive for something. Everyone will react differently to intolerances/allergies. Some people get a runny nose when they eat something. Others diarrhea. You can always go by process of elimination. Eliminate all the foods you are intolerant to and gradually add them in one at a time to see what your reaction is. Chances are you may never notice any significant reaction.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Intolerances to foods is a very complicated thing. Its difficult trying to make your way round this thing without a trained person to support you. Loving the food which makes you out of sorts/ill is how intolerance works. A true allergy will carry you off, intolerances will make you wish they would, or at least that was my experience. To become pain free, I had already given up a conventional diet, avoiding herbs/spices, many fruits and veg, so when I was advised, following blood tests directed by my nutritionist to avoid more, it was another culture shock. I had nothing to loose and everything to gain, like getting my life back, work in progress. I have learned so very much.

Please try not to look at this exercise as loosing 80% of your diet. Please consider science is pointing towards our modern diet, full of processed foods, additives and preservatives is not good for anyone. Cooking from scratch will give you more control and pleasure eventually because it need not be disproportionately time consuming. You will probably gain yourself old back.

I would suggest you eliminate the ingredients with the highest intolerance value first. Keep a daily log of what you eat and how you feel and anything else which is relevant to you so you can access if and how things are going. I hope the test you had isolated ingredients not meal types. Its all so very complicated. Keeping up the log, if and when you reintroduce foods is essential because it can take a few days or even a couple of weeks for to show in moods or what ever.

I wish you all the very best as you try to work this all out intolerances are a real pain.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    It's a real thing, yes. You may not be allergic but your body has a difficult time processing it or digesting it in some way. It can cause bloating, inflammation, and many other side effects depending on what your eating and your body doesn't like. I find certain foods like Costco hot dogs and a few slices of bologna give me headaches. I don't like them enough to have a headache so I don't eat them anymore.

More info:
    https://www.allergyuk.org/common-food-intolerances/common-food-intolerances
  • ado227
    ado227 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
  • ado227
    ado227 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello, TomK... how are you? I did it coz I suddenly gain wait and mostly stored them on my belly, so my doctor suggested... and yes, guys, I feel better, I believe it's a real think... I do not have bloated stomach , I fell much better...
    So m gonna try to follow it...
    Thank you ,guys!
    Very kind from all of you!
  • lizandrashaw
    lizandrashaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to eggs, and intolerant to wheat, whey, cane sugar, almonds, and cranberries. Eating eggs will land me in the hospital or worse. Eating wheat causes my eczema to flare up. Eating cane sugar causes my blood pressure to sky rocket. Eating cranberries gives me a killer migraine and causes my blood pressure to sky rocket. Haven't figured out what whey and almonds do, but I am not messing around trying to figure it out like I did with the other things. I'm convinced.

I can tell you that before I cut all those things out of my diet, I was sick, tired and achy all the time. Since I cut those things out of my diet, I haven't taken a sick day because I was sick for several years. My eczema is completely cleared up. My blood pressure has come down significantly. Most of all, I have more energy and I feel good.

You're mileage may vary, but I think it's worth trying to eliminate those things from your diet for a while to see if your quality of life improves. If you decide to do that and need help adapting recipes, let me know.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Hope this will help some of us with intolerances.

Some of us do not make or make enough DAO Histaminease. I was introduced to this DAO by a nutritionist, though I have seen it available under several labels in our Health Food shops here in the UK. So I assume it will be available elsewhere. One of the key foods to cause histamine problems is shell fish, I can't remember the status of eggs, but it is everywhere to a greater of lesser extent.

According to good online sites, there are several I found, not "anyone's blog", really fresh foods have a lower histamine content, foods which would be described as "left overs" pre cooked can be particularly high. Shellfish are particularly high in histamine, can't remember the status of eggs. In the website, Low Histamine Chef, she says she has controlled her symptoms by balancing her diet, she says some foods reduce the amount of histamine which can be released from another and more. Headaches are a prime symptom of this intolerance.

It could be well worth a read for those with intolerances it is far too complicated subject for me to do it justice in a comment.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm not sure which of the tests you got done, but there should be a minimum, medium, and most intolerant section.

I'm assuming you paid all that money for a reason; i would try and follow what the test says to alleviate said reasons. You can try things here and there, but in my experience cutting out the foods which i have serious problems with has helped tremendously.

P.S. to the others, an allergy and an intolerance are very different things. I am lactose intolerant, but i am very very allergic to hazelnuts and almonds.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I have a long list of food allergies, celiac disease, and I am lactose intolerant. The intolerance is much less now that I have been gluten free long enough to heal my intestines, but there are still times I know to avoid dairy.
    This weekend will be one of those times. One of my allergies is to eggs, in which the flu vaccine is cultured. Since I have asthma and it's not an anaphylactic reaction, I got my flu shot yesterday. I am feeling pretty bad today from the egg exposure, and I know that ice cream would make that worse so I won't do it. My food choices are all about symptom management.
  • purduboilr
    purduboilr Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It depends on the actual test that was run. I have had two sets of 'intolerance' testing, and the results both times were foods that were presently in my body. It was explained to me at Mayo Clinic that this is not reliable because your body makes antibodies to whatever you intake. I believe this was an IgA or IgC testing, I cannot recall. They said that if you were truly allergic, they would perform allergy testing to determine your sensitivity. The best and least expensive way to figure it out is to eliminate the foods from your diet one at a time and see if you feel better. I discovered I am only intolerant to gluten - it increases my anxiety and fatigue about 3 days after I consume it.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Options
    Elimination, well logged diets seem like a good idea, unless you are dealing with something like salicylate or histamine intolerances where the problem is not with the specific food exactly but the quantity of the salicylate or histamine in ones diet which can fluctuate because no one under usual circumstances eats exactly the same each and every day. The only way to decipher these is by reduction, using foods with lesser amounts of what you are trying to eliminate. There are good lists on line.