How to juggle cardio/weights?

Options
After some advice guys. Due to a change in my schedule I'm having to rethink my workout days. Thinking I may have to cut it down to 2 cardio days and 2 full body weights days. Is this enough though? Is it OK to double up and do weights and cardio same days, or is it best to keep them on alternate days. Really want to get a routine in place again, otherwise I just never go.

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Enough for... ?
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    " Is it OK to double up and do weights and cardio same days...?"
    Yes, it is. Don't over do at first. I do cardio, a short 1.5 to 2 miles on an elliptical, as part of my warm up on lifting days. There is always the debate over which to do first on such days. You do what feels good for you.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You can do them on the same day... though it's going to be a little more taxing and you may want to ensure a little calorie bump for the extra work if you go that route.

Good response by @_dracarys_ though... enough for what? What's the goal for your workouts? Feeling great, to assist weight loss, aesthetics?
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    If you do this just for fitness you can mix it up any which way you want..... I do two workouts some days, trying to get 3/4 days in when possible....
    I do weights early in the morning before work (4:30am) for about 30 minutes, then do another 30-40 mins of cardio at lunch - either a run, or tabata/hit dvd...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Is it enough for the specified goal you want to achieve? what is the goal(s)?
  • valerialeek
    valerialeek Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I do 15min cardio after weights but I also make sure my weights routine get my heart pumping
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    On days I go to the gym, I do both cardio and weights (the order depends on which weight machines are open). On other days, I'll walk or run to get some cardio in...sometimes adding in sets of push-ups/sit-ups/uphill lunges/burpees.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    As upthread, what are you seeking to achieve and what does your current programme look like.

It's a bit of a how long is a piece of string question. By Cardio do you mean 15 minutes, which to me is a cooldown, or 60 minutes, or possibly 2 hours? All very different propositions.

fwiw on resistance training days I'll only run for 5 km warm up and 5km cool down
  • artlover47
    artlover47 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My trainer tells me to do 20-30 minutes of cardio before weights as my warm up, so I do mine on same day.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I'm doing it right, but I go 3 times a week. I start on an elliptical for 20 minutes. Then go to the weights machines for about 30 min. (whatever it takes me to get around the machines 1 time). I am hoping that this works for me. Right now I'm just trying to get back at it....I'll determine later if I need to lift more/cardio more/ or switch up days.....