Eating at night

Options
I know this is probably something someone has already posted - but what are you tips & tricks to avoid munching at night?

I tend to stay within my calorie goals during the day and am on track most days ever after dinner. But once the sun goes down (or 8pm passes) - my mind turns to eating as much as I can and I just am not sure how to stop :(

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Allocate some calories to an evening snack.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, so I tend to go lighter during the day because snacking at night is just going to happen.

I weigh everything, eyeballing is too unpredictable for me. Portion control is also tough, but it's easier if I pour a snack into a bowl rather than eat it out of the bag...then I'm not tempted/determined to eat the whole bag and I know how much I ate. Orange peppers are a good snack for me, sweet and low cal. Make sure you're getting enough water, many times a glass or two will suffice rather than a slice of cake - we don't keep cake in the house because I wouldn't be able to control myself.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I've always preferred eating more at night. So that's what I do. We rarely have dinner before 8:30, often a little later.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early. Seriously, like 7:45.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    As someone said maybe allocate some calories from your allowance to an evening snack. Don't keep too much unhealthy food in the cupboard to avoid snacking on those or brush your teeth after dinner, I don't really like to eat with the taste of toothpaste in my mouth.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I eat most of my calories at night. It makes no difference as long as you aren't overeating by doing it.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I alsways budget a few calories for an evening snack. I have been doing this for about a year, and its now a habit, so psychologically, once my tea and Special K cracker chips are done, I'm done for the night. Very very rarely has this strategy not worked, and certainly my cravings for other things is markedly reduced. Knowing I have the chips available after dinner and before bed is almost reassuring. It hasnt stopped me losing over 100lbs
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early. Seriously, like 7:45.

Same here!
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I pop my own popcorn at night. It's low enough in calories because there isn't all that junk on it. Plus there are no calorie flavors you can sprinkle on so it doesn't taste bland. I'm eating that right now. It's a good size bowl too.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner late. And I eat 2/3 of my calories after 7pm. The other 1/3 are used for lunch.
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I save some calories for night and I eat unsalted sunflower seeds most of the night. It keeps me chewing all night while eating a minimal amount of calories.
  • Dano74
    Dano74 Posts: 503 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I seldom eat lunch and bank those calories for glorious all night eating, snacking and happy satisfaction.

Hasn't dented any of my goals and progress in the slightest. But it did hurt Doctor BroScience's feelings.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I save myself at least 300 calories a night. 99 out of every 100 times I eat them, but when I don't, it's a nice little deficit for the week.