Will being post-menapausal really make weight loss more difficult?

Options
Late 40's, post menopausal, and struggling much more this past year with weight loss! Suggestions?

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and as long as I'm in a deficit, I will lose. Use a food scale to weigh everything you eat.
    I also workout for an hour a day cause I like to eat.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and losing nicely keeping at or slightly below my calorie goal.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight inspite or peri or post. Its only an excuse if you let it be..

I lost weight, started moving more and lifting heavy things as stated above, my symptoms/side effects are less minuscule today than when I started this whole phase.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm 53 and hypothyroid and I lost 25 pounds from late last summer until this spring and I've had little trouble maintaining it (other than a small blip due to my thyroid issue).

Compared to when I lost weight when I was 25 it was much easier this time. Easier to control my appetite, easier to keep my eye on the long term goal (health) versus being over eager to see quick results on the scale, more time to devote to taking care of myself, etc.

My suggestions are to be patient with yourself, focus on health for the long term and (most importantly) be completely honest with yourself about how much you eat. Weigh and log everything. You only cheat and do a disservice to yourself if you don't.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Excuses. Try harder.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight and sedentary my whole life.

I've become active, fit and thin since hitting menopause. I'll echo everything the wise women above me have said.

Move more. Pick up heavy things. Count calories. Profit.

I'm down 92 pounds, all after menopause.
  • buxs981
    buxs981 Posts: 19 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Thank.you so much everyone for your thoughts, suggestions, feedback, and support!! Always in need of a little direction!! I've done the Weight Watchers, successfully before- late 30's-early 40's. Life happened, couldn't afford to do meetings or pay for a private trainer 2xs a week at the gym anymore. Life changes took over and I lost all control. I was always skinny growing up. By 25 I was still 120 lbs!! Ahhh, the good ole days!! 25-27 hit and I swear I heard my metabolism hit a brick wall!! By my 30's, at 5 ft 6 inch, I went up to my heaviest at 168. Felt so unhealthy!! No energy, always tired, acid reflux, and had no clothes that fit. That's when I joined WW. Was able to get down to 135lb, was working out 5xs a week, great healthy, almost obsessively, and could ting every little bite!! Met lifetime and kept off for over a yr. That's when life happened, and it's been a yoyo ever since! And not to mention- VERY early menopause!! You would have thought that I would have lost weight from the hot flashes alone!!! Yes, I absolutely agree that I am GREAT at making excuses!!! And I believe those excuses at that moment! I am glad that I have this forum to express myself! This is truly helpful!! Thank.you!! So, as I have gotten older and wiser, and maybe more realistic: overall goal- 150 lbs, move more, feel better, more energy, and just enjoy life more!!
  • Kira_72
    Kira_72 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    this was inspiring! Thanks to all the ladies above!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    It made it tougher for me. I suspect the reasons are more mental than physical, but there's no denying that a body changes during menopause. I did lose the weight, but it was much harder than in the past. This is also the most weight I've ever had to lose. In the past I was usually losing only about 10 lbs, this time I let it get way out of hand had to lose 30.

I think exercise/activity played a bigger factor now than before. Mostly just because it helped keep my hormones balanced.