Increasing Calories Without Increasing Macros?

Options
lacandona
lacandona Posts: 37 Member
edited October 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been really happy with my weight loss coach. She's been super encouraging and great. I have lost 39# and am in awesome shape at this point but I have plateaued around 183-4 lb for a month.

I switched from the Beachbody container system (which worked well- Ioved all the fresh fruits and veggies), to tracking macros and calories. My TDEE is somewhere around 2200 and *on top of the TDEE* I'm nursing my toddler and doing daily workouts: vinyasa flow, hilly hiking, and mountain biking/bike commuting. So I think with the deficit I should be in the mid/high 2000 calorie range most days. Once I started tracking my calories I was coming up with 1500-1900 calories a day, rarely breaking 2000. Honestly, I'm not very strict with what I eat and I'll have a glass of wine every night, pizza once a week etc so my carbs can be high. But I wasn't feeling hungry on those days so I just didn't eat. My coach gave me macro goals of 100 carbs, 100 protein and 60 fat.

When I started looking back at my intake this past month I was shocked at how I only topped 2000 about once a week. I started to wonder if I need to work on eating more. It's hard to even want more most days... i mean, put a plate of nachos in front of me and I'll top 3000 calories in a day no problem! But it's harder with healthier foods. My coach recommended adding 1-200 calories a day BUT NOT INCREASING MY MACROS. I'm like.. I guess? You can do that?

She says certain foods have higher macros vs calories and to avoid those, and that way I'll have more calories and the same macro goals. I really don't get how to do this. I've given it a shot and it simply doesn't seem to work well. That, and I can't find anyone whose nutrition advice is evidence-based recommending this. Or anyone at all. I'm 100% not a dummy about what Beachbody is and what it takes to become a coach so I get that she might not be right, though she does have legit experience. I wanted to ask other people who might have an idea of what the research says. Thanks!

Replies

• lacandona
    edited October 2016
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    I'm not following your coach;s logic. To me, it sounds like she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Macros are for nutrition. Calories balance is for weight management.

Each gram of fat contains 9 calories, 4 calories per gram of protein and 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate. So, if you choose a food that has little or no macros, it will be lower calorie, like ice berg.

I'm interested in what others have to say.

That's what I was thinking. Power greens all day long. 200 calories worth of spinach. I'll never leave the toilet.
  • lacandona
    Options
    If you can't increase calories without macros... from what I'm reading I should be more consistent with my calories day to day. Increase VERY gradually till I'm at about 2500 a day, provided I have the same activity level and am still nursing? I got to 2000 today but it wasn't easy, I had to keep eating all day long.
  • lacandona
    Options
    Just proves how much Beachbody coaches really know about nutrition and fitness

Yeah yeah yeah I know.
  • lacandona
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    Your coach put you on low carb did you know that?

And is an idiot if she think you can increase calories without increasing macros

See protein and fats as minimums (0.35-0.4g fat and 0.64-0.8g protein per lb of bodyweight as minimums is a good guideline) let carbs fall where they will. Primarily watch calories and increase slowly 1-200 per week, your weight will fluctuate then drop again as your body gets used to more

As you've been following low carb you will, if you increase, experience significant water weight swings as your body replenishes glycogen and associated water weight

I didn't... I was concerned about getting enough carbs because I'm breastfeeding. It's not that big of a deal because she's 18 months but I do want to nurse to 2 years.
  • Gena575
    Gena575 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The macro goals she gave you would equal 1340. No way around increasing macros without increasing calories. Her macro ratio is 30% carbs, 30% protein and 40% fat if you want to follow the %s
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    lacandona wrote: »
    Your coach put you on low carb did you know that?

And is an idiot if she think you can increase calories without increasing macros

See protein and fats as minimums (0.35-0.4g fat and 0.64-0.8g protein per lb of bodyweight as minimums is a good guideline) let carbs fall where they will. Primarily watch calories and increase slowly 1-200 per week, your weight will fluctuate then drop again as your body gets used to more

As you've been following low carb you will, if you increase, experience significant water weight swings as your body replenishes glycogen and associated water weight

I didn't... I was concerned about getting enough carbs because I'm breastfeeding. It's not that big of a deal because she's 18 months but I do want to nurse to 2 years.

Good for you ...I would suggest by this stage your nutritional requirements to support breastfeeding are limited, maybe allow an extra 200 calories or so but rely on your body feedback over time (eg 6-8'week rolling blocks)
  • lacandona
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hm. Wondering if it would be worthwhile to see a nutritionist. I'm not uncomfortable at my current calorie deficit but it's probably way too low long term.

I'm average height and about 183 now, would be comfortable staying in the low 170s for years to come because I have a sturdy build. But wouldn't complain if I could go lower and maintain. I'm so much more comfortable now and I imagine a few more pounds would make me feel better.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a nutritionist?
  • lacandona
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Why do you need a nutritionist?

I'm confused about where I should be. Like, if I can have 1500 calorie days without giving it a second thought, but I'm *supposed* to be at 2500, do I go off of the fact I'm feeling fine, or how much I'm supposed to be eating? I don't think I've damaged my metabolism? I'm a hearty eater and that's what got me to 220# in the first place. And this is only the second time in my 35 years that I've decided I needed to lose weight and did it.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    That's mathematically impossible- ask her to clarify
  • cbusnightowl
    cbusnightowl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! ;) These boards have helped me sooo much. I have learned so much from the users here and have gotten a much healthier (physical & mental) approach to my nutrition & well being thanks to these wonderful people! I don't post much and this is my second account, but if I could I would make a thank you post to each persons post that has helped me. Although I wouldn't be able to list usernames because can't remember them all
  • lacandona
    Options
    That's mathematically impossible- ask her to clarify

She did. She used an example. I think it can work on a tiny scale. I don't think you can eek 200 extra calories out of it easily. Besides that, I don't get the point of doing it that way. I'm eating food so my body can do its thing. I want the food I eat to be useful.
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    alcohol?? LOL joking
  • jolive7
    jolive7 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I feel that what she means are chose foods that are nutritionally dense but calorie sparse instead of the other way around?