Obese to Triathlete

Options
clh72569
clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
My name is Catherine. I am a pharmacist, 54 years old and am a 4’11” female. My starting weight was 150 lbs. I was never in the “I have always been overweight” class. I was someone whose weight slowly and insidiously crept up with time and age. If you gain a pound a year in 20 years, that’s 20 lbs. I was always active, but as my weight started creeping up; I started to slow down. That is a double edged sword for weight gain.
My wellness journey began in January 2, 2014. Our health services department decided to start a Biggest Loser contest that would end in Easter 2014. We all tried to varying degrees, our Biggest Loser lost 10 lbs. (and promptly put back on); and we all failed spectacularly. At the time I started the Myfitnesspal App for calorie counting. There are many calorie counting apps, I just chose this one. I had joined Weight Watchers in the past, but was insulted by members who said I didn’t have much to lose. After 3 months and no loss I quit Weight Watchers. Myfitnesspal seemed relatively easy; set up the profile, track calories, scan bar codes, track exercise and lose weight. However, for a reformed perfectionist pharmacist; I went slightly obsessive-compulsive with the app and had to stop for my sanity. Now, I did say I failed the Biggest Loser contest spectacularly; and maybe I wasn’t mentally ready to commit to the change or effort required to lose weight.
January 2, 2015 – I am now 150 lbs., uniform barely fitting, sleeping poorly, blood pressure creeping up, exercise is tough. I decide to commit to a sustained 10 lb. weight loss (key word, sustained). My two children are in college and I have no excuse. I re-open Myfitnesspal and vow not to get OCD with the app. I start by just tracking what I eat, and am stunned by how much I eat. My pharmacist mind likes the 1 lb. of fat = 3500 calories. This translates to decrease your calories by 500/day and you will lose 1 lb. /week; 1000 calorie deficit 2lb/week loss. I commit the classic mistakes of picking generic food entries with the lowest calories, using the machines over-estimated calorie burns; and end up not losing weight. I read the forums and research my mistakes. I re-focus my determination, and not do what I normally do which is give up. I tighten up my calorie logging. I start by walking at lunch, and then 1 hour walks 3/week, then elliptical 20 min 3/week. I give myself rewards of cheat weekends.
March 2015 – 140 lbs. 10 lb. loss. I attend a BOP Metabolic Syndrome Symposium. I learn a lot; but the most I learn is how to exercise and eat while away from home. I do not want to gain back my losses. Therefore at lunch instead of eating I walk on the treadmill at the training center, and I find the fitness center in the hotel. We go out to dinner every night and I log every bite. I have successfully not gained weight. I decide to stop my cheat weekends and make them a once a week cheat meal.
May 2015 130 lbs. 20 lb. loss. When I started this I told no one. It was difficult to resist the ever present food celebrations for birthday, holidays, and retirements. There was a lot of pressure from co-workers and family to eat and many times I indulged. At 20 lbs. lost, I achieve normal BMI; and people started to notice. I didn’t want to be that insufferable person who bores everyone with their current weight loss strategy; I wanted my actions to speak louder than words. So when co-workers started to ask, I said I was counting calories and trying to lose some weight. At this point I started to resist the never ending pot-lucks. I still have cheat meals, but fit them into my calorie goal. I would also buy the food fund-raisers and give the food away. I learned to increase my protein, decrease carbs, and stop drinking my calories. My exercise increased to 1 hour elliptical 3/week.
July 2015 120 lbs. 30 lb. loss. I buy a food scale and try not to go into OCD mode. I eat a wide variety of foods; nothing is off limits; as long as it fits into my calorie goals. I now exercise every day. I also have classes in the MPH program at George Washington University , but I have made exercise a priority. I am slowly, step-wise decreasing calories and increasing exercise. My body is getting used to the lower calories and I do not get out of breath after exercise. I am now reaping the benefits of weight loss and fitness; I sleep better and have increased energy. I have a Nutri-Bullet at work and we have a smoothie days at work. Everybody brings in their favorite ingredients and mix them. I unit dose and freeze smoothie ingredients for later use anytime. I always have a stash of healthy snacks, and bring salad and fruit to lunch for all staff members to share.
August 2015 110 lbs. 40 lb. loss. People start asking my advice. I tell them calorie counting and exercise. If they want more information, then I can give them the long answer; depending on where they are in the decision making process. People may be just gathering information, maybe contemplating a change, or ready to take action. There are always the ones that complain about needing to lose weight and do nothing, or the ones that try every new fad diet and fail. In the carrot and stick motivators; I tend to be the carrot and cheerleader type. One of our nurses joins Medifast and loses 25 lbs. Our MD joins Weight Watchers; one of our PA’s starts the calorie counting app on Livestrong, our Administrator starts using Myfitnesspal. We all start encouraging each other. I have now gained some confidence that I can be happy eating and exercising this way for life. I have gone on vacations and had some celebrations that have not derailed my progress. I now look at food on vacation or at celebrations; is this special food that I will not be able to eat ever again? If so then I go for it; if not then I choose a healthy option. I give myself non-food rewards for every 10 lb. loss. I start thinking about maintence.
September 2015 105 lbs. 45 lb. loss. I have now reached goal weight. I start researching maintence. I read that 80-90% of people gain back their lost weight. Most people think of this as a diet, and once they achieve their goal; go back to eating as previously. I purposely did not deny myself certain food items. I wanted to eat foods I enjoy and can sustain for life. I read that one of the keys to maintaining weight loss is to weigh yourself regularly and have a weight range. Another strategy I plan to adopt is to have a green, yellow, and red weight. Green weight, good to go; yellow weight, watch your calories; red weight go into calorie restriction mode. I plan to lose 5 more lbs. and have my weight range be 5 lbs. I bought myself a Kate Spade purse as a reward. I start lifting weights; Stronglifts 5X5. Stronglifts is a beginning lifting program that uses compound lifts that progressively use more weight.
October 2015 101 lbs. 49 lb. loss. A few times during this journey I have forgotten to take my blood pressure medication. Being the pharmacist I took my blood pressure before I took my pills. The readings were all normal. I started tracking my blood pressure and noting it in my food log. This would be my pressure on medication. Then I tracked my blood pressure for 2 weeks off medication, all normal. I set a MD apt for 10-8-2015. I brought my food log with my blood pressure readings and some before and after pictures. I had been taking blood pressure pills for over 10 years. I AM NOW OFF ALL PRESCRIPTION MEDICATION. The MD gave me a hug, high five, and went around the clinic and showed his entire staff. Look what you can do with diet and exercise.
October 2016 – One year of maintenance. I participate in the Mission Bay Triathlon.

Replies

• agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Amazing. Congratulations on your hard work and determination.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I've told you before, but I'll say it again. You're awesome!
    ypqs89o6pudz.gif
    5s.gif 917.4K
  • Habiteer
    Habiteer Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great job and congratulations on your 1 year maintenance :smiley:
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Great job. It's funny, I give the same response .... "Are you looking for general overview, or details?" When people say details, I launch into calorie counting and exercise, it's normally, "oh, I could never do that." Congrats on your amazing progress.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I say you're a firecracker.
  • lapierrecyclist
    lapierrecyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You've worked hard for this! And congratulations on reaching 1 year of maintenance!
  • starryeyedsnoozer
    starryeyedsnoozer Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You look incredible. I bet the feeling of crossing that finish line was like nothing else! Congratulations xx
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I am so happy for you! I loved your story and the "ups and downs" are so usefull for everyone. Keep on maintaining. Best.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your great support! I could not have done it without the MFP community.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    So inspiring! I can only imagine how quietly proud you must have felt when your doc showed you off to his staff. Loved loved loved your triathlon pic!
  • kimirayray
    kimirayray Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    wow big big congrats - I am inspired and excited!! thanks for sharing :)
  • joans1976
    joans1976 Posts: 2,201 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You are an excellent writer as well. I love reading people's stories but if it is one long run-on sentence I lose focus.
    Thank you for sharing!
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Such an inspiration. Thank you for detailing the process. You look so happy.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This whole post is excellent. Your attitude and your success, it's just... wow. So inspirational.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I love your attitude about the whole thing. When I first started MFP, I too got OCD! It's the perfectionist side of me for sure. You look beautiful in your pictures. Let me rephrase - you looked beautiful in your before AND after photos, but you look simply glowing in the after photos. It's also a goal of mine to one day participate in a triathlon.
  • Starfish1125
    Starfish1125 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Love love love this story!!!! Congratulations!!!
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    clh72569 wrote: »
    A follow up to this post. October 2016 I schedule my annual physical. At the appointment, my MD and I do not talk about hypertension, do not talk about obesity, do not talk about insomnia; we do talk about exercise, posture, stretching, Cross-Fit; and the words "I am proud of you".

And THAT is what it's all about - not just looking better - but being healthier.

EXCELLENT!
  • fishobot
    fishobot Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, so inspiring! I'm 5' tall and just starting down the road of weight loss. It's great to hear from a fellow shorty and I hope to write something similar in a year.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!