headaches & artificial sweeteners?

Options
I drink several cups of coffee in the mornings with 2 packs of artificial sweeteners in each cup, so i might intake about 8 or 10 packs of artificial sweeteners a day & i been having headaches, could it be from the artificial sweetener, and consuming too much of it? I think that is what my problem is.

Replies

• _Khaleesi_
    _Khaleesi_ Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    It couldn't be the caffiene in the coffee? Caffiene is a vasodialator.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to not have it and see if the headaches persist
  • ffwife2475
    Options
    Yes it can. You could be allegic to it. That is what happens to me when I have it and my doctor said I was allergic.
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I am truly convinced that artificial sweeteners are the devil. You can do all kinds of research online that will support this. It may contribute to Parkinson's, cancer and weight gain. I'd say.... give it up :flowerforyou:
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It's probably caffeine. I cut myself off the caffeine, and the migraines that I used to get twice weekly are all but gone! Your body gets "addicted" to the caffeine, so be sure to wean yourself off it!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light does that to me! I've been wondering the same thing myself!
  • Meglm1117
    Meglm1117 Posts: 70
    Options
    Quit the artifical sweetners....you can still use sweetners but use the kind that contain xylitol...i use ideal sweetner. i think it tastes even better than splenda! i think stevia is another natural sweetner but contains a different natural ingredient. i don't know much about that one tho but have researched xylitol! :)
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    try to ut the sweetner down to lower number and see if u allergic to it like somebody says
  • jpeebs88
    jpeebs88 Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm not usually a big water touter, but whenever I headache, my dad always told me to drink a glass of water, and it usually helped. To me it sounds like too much caffeine (a mild diuretic) is making you dehydrated and causing your headache. Give it a shot. It's free!
  • Kitiara47
    Kitiara47 Posts: 235
    Options
    For me it's the artificial sweetener. I cannot drink diet coca cola and pepsi brands, splenda products, etc because it gives me a splitting migraine that can shut me down for hours!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes. I know specifically Splenda has been linked to headaches. Artificial anything is bad for you. Try to cut it out as much as possible.
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    I can take coffee or leave it...it's no big deal for me.....so I know I'm not addicted. I suffer from migraines and I know for a fact that artificial sweetners trigger them IN ME...might not for someone else. I have discovered that Truvia doesn't seem to affect me. Though if you can go without it, I'd say that is your best option. Hope the headaches go away.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Crystal Light gives me headaches. It very well could be the artificial sweetners. I have cut my artificial intake down to almost nothing although I do like a Pibb Zero occassionaly. I either work in the real thing or use Agave Nectar! Try using regular sugar (cut in half, if you must) and see if the headaches go away. Good luck either way! :)
  • wmartin8
    wmartin8 Posts: 22
    Options
    Are you having anything else besides coffee? are you having enough water? The brain consumes a lot of calories and if you're calorie deficit is too extreme it will definitely cause headaches. Also coffee is a diuretic, if you're not drinking enough water, dehydration can cause headaches.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to not have it and see if the headaches persist

Give it a try.
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am truly convinced that artificial sweeteners are the devil. You can do all kinds of research online that will support this. It may contribute to Parkinson's, cancer and weight gain. I'd say.... give it up :flowerforyou:

I totally agree!
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

Agreed. I'd rather have the calories from sugar than all the crap you get from artificial.
  • redhotredneck
    redhotredneck Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have learned that any type of artificial sweetners are triggers for my migraines. Even a few sips of something with one of them would trigger a migraine that would last 24 hours. Its quite possible that they could be a reason for the headaches. As someone suggested above, try cutting it out to see if it helps. :)
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    The only way to know for sure is to stop using it for a couple of days. See if the headaches stop and then try using it again. I have been having headaches, but I have been using artificial sweeteners for years, I think mine may be allergies from something outside.

There is a lot of research that shows both ways that artificial sweeteners are bad or that it is okay, that coffee is a diuretic, but if your body is use to it, it no longer is a diuretic. blah blah blah. It all depends on how it makes you feel and how you react to it. It could be purely coincidental that you have had headaches on the same days you used artificial sweeteners or it may be that your system can not tolerate it.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    YES, aspartame and sucralose (Splenda) can both cause headaches.