Workout when extremely sore?

Options
I played in a volleyball tourney yesterday and am extremely sore today! Great workout yesterday but now today I'm wondering if I should workout since I am so sore. I usually run 3-6 miles a day but I don't think I could make around the block today! Any suggestions on an appropriate workout for today?

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    well you can rest or you can go it is up to you. I would take a hot bath or shower and go out to do half of the run. if you get to that point and feel you can continue then go for it. :)
  • hempelsa
    hempelsa Posts: 11
    Options
    Stretch stretch stretch stretch. Nap. End workout.
  • LillysGranny
    LillysGranny Posts: 431
    Options
    Swimming is a great workout when you're sore. So is walking.
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a walk to loosen you up. When I'm sore, working out helps get rid of the soreness. Sounds counter-intuitive, but it works. I would take a walk, and if it helped, do something low impact after that.
  • EMc4452
    EMc4452 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Actually, you probably could run today. Working out while sore will actually help your soreness go away faster. As long as your arent experiencing pain, doing any workout should be fine. Trust me, once you start running, you'll forget you were even sore.
  • mlweaver89
    mlweaver89 Posts: 35
    Options
    I would rest today. Do lots of stretching and maybe do a less strenuous workout like yoga?
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    According to my trainer if you are really sore the no you should not workout, you should take a break. If you are a little sore then working out is ok. I would definitely stregth though.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Stretch stretch stretch walk stretch stretch stretch hot shower stretch stretch stretch
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Stretch stretch stretch stretch. Nap. End workout.

i usually do a yoga video when i'm sore... great stretches!
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    Honestly, it depends on the individual. I'll opt to do yoga when I'm so sore I can barely move. Then, there are times when I'll do the workout and notice that I'm not as sore once my muscles warm up a bit. Do some light cardio for about 5 minutes and see how your body feels. If it's telling you "NOOO! STOP!!" you might want to take a rest day and just do some stretching.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Why hot shower/bath? I thought a cold bath, or even ice, is better for sore muscles to help them recover quicker?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's not good to stretch when your muscles aren't warmed up so I'd say go for a walk (as far as you think you can handle) and then do some good stretching.

I feel your pain by the way! I did Bob Harper's Inside Out Kettlebell workout a few weeks ago and my quads were sore for like 4 days. I did manage to get out for a walk each day though and it definitely helped. Once the muscles are warmed up, they tend to loosen up a bit.

Also, drink plenty of water and eat bananas (or raisins, lima beans, spinach) the potassium helps with muscle soreness.
  • TenLaws
    TenLaws Posts: 273
    Options
    Run at least 1 mile, 3 miles max, then do some intense stretching.
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I run too and this happens to me when I play badminton! I end up with muscle ache in places I didn't even know I had muscle, lol. I guess that is why we must stretch and warm up differently than if we were to run, because we are moving more muscles all over our body. I really don't know how to stretch better / more holistically but I know I must find a way because the pain is horrible and lasts like for five days for me (and I'm completely useless during that time, I can't workout because I can barely move :p)
  • srenard
    srenard Posts: 6
    Options
    I say go, but go gently. I climbed a big mountain few weekends ago and I was going swimming daily after that to loosen up but it didn't help much. Finally, after 5 days I got on the elliptical and that remedied the issue. I was all better the next day. Oh, and stretch and hold for at least 30 secs on each stretch.
  • SoDakRunner
    Options
    Well I tired to go on a hike, a flat walk around a lake actually, and the majority of the soreness did work itself out but I quit after a mile because there was a pain (tightness, pressure, fullness feeling) in my right calf that would not work itself out. So I guess it is stretching and yoga today! Thanks for all the tips.