What time should I stop eating?

Options
Is it true or a myth that eating after a certain time will hurt my diet?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Myth. Your body burns calories all day long, awake or sleeping. The overall number of calories matters much more than what time of the day you eat them.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No, it's not true.
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The thing about that myth that can be true is we sometimes tend to eat things like chips and ice cream and alcohol while watching TV in the evenings so if you stop eating you can cut some of those calories.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    It isn't WHEN you eat, but WHAT you're eating. I eat before bed all the time, but I make sure it isn't cookies, cake, ice cream, etc.
  • lauraleenaft
    Options
    i agree with the 2 previous posts!
  • mommabesr
    mommabesr Posts: 1
    Options
    mostly myth I would thing. but like others say, people tend to eat junky food at night . Also it is preferable to eat most of your calories during the day time when people are more active there for burning more calories. then when mostly sedentary watching tv. at night. But i work late in the evening or at night so i eat at night and i haven't had a problem losing weight doing so.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've eaten at all hours of the day or night...but like the above posts it matters of what and how much you are eating. Definitely choose the moderate over any times.
  • change_happens
    Options
    some say stop eating after a certain time because as soon as you go to sleep your metabolism slows down. it is true that you burn calories no matter what, but that rate at which you burn them may be far less if you ate right before you went to bed.

i have tried eating 2 hours or so before bed time, but sometimes i get hungry because i am a night owl and i eat before going to bed. i never see any negative effects from it.
  • kathrynkatana
    kathrynkatana Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    The thing about that myth that can be true is we sometimes tend to eat things like chips and ice cream and alcohol while watching TV in the evenings so if you stop eating you can cut some of those calories.

My goodness, do I agree. To be honest it one of the hardest times of the day for me. It just doesn't seem natural not to be eating while watching tv.
  • Rikki444
    Rikki444 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I still think it is a good idea to stop eating 2 to 3 hours before bed time so that when you go to bed, your body is no longer busy digesting. It will give you a better night's sleep and the more rested you feel, the less hungry you feel the next day, through out the day. Not to mention that it is during the night time, when you sleep, that the body is also restoring and refreshing itself. If you give it work to do, it may hinder your plans because it is always trying to catch up. Your body is very capable of burning the calories at night. Make no mistake about it. But I find it beneficial to go to bed almost hungry.
  • jenlw88
    jenlw88 Posts: 71
    Options
    u more a lot of carolies while u sleep
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat after dinner because usually if I do it's junk food.
  • neurochamp
    neurochamp Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I say myth. I eat right before bed all the time if I'm way under my net calorie goal for the day at bedtime. At least once in the last week I've had a slice of whole-grain (double fiber) toast with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter (Peanut Butter & Co's Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter is my current fave) LITERALLY in my hand as I headed up to bed, and woke up the next morning down 0.5-1lb from the day before.

If I'm more than 100-200 calories under my net goal for the day, I will almost always wake up at 3-4am absolutely STARVING (and usually in a bad mood), and I'll eat whatever I can find, which isn't usually stuff that's good for me. But if I eat something to bring my calories up before bed, I sleep great and wake up feeling more ready for the day. Given that, I would never *not* have a snack at night just because of the time on the clock - if you have the calories to spare, then go for it.
  • Persipan
    Persipan Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't eat *just* before bed purely because it would give me indigestion; otherwise, I say what's important is what you eat, not when you eat it. Apart from anything else, I know that I find it hard not to be eating in the evening, so it's better that I plan to eat my dinner and subsequent sensible dessert later on, rather than try to finish by some arbitrary cut-off time and end up climbing the walls and then stuffing my face with whatever comes to hand.