any tips to lose weight?

Options
Hay! I'm trying to lose 30+ pounds any tips?

Replies

• rinigirl76
    rinigirl76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    low carb if you can..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    eat a little less...hit your calorie targets...move a little more...
    rinigirl76 wrote: »
    low carb if you can..

why...low carb isn't magic...it's just one of many ways of creating a calorie deficit
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    You just took the first step! Congratulations!

What works is different for every individual, except for one thing. Eat fewer calories than you burn. MFP calculates that for you.

What works for me is making sure I get protien with every meal, specifically lean meat. Beans are also good. I also need to have a moderate amount of carbohydrates in order to feel satisfied. Not everyone is that way, though, and you'll figure out what works best for you in the first couple of weeks.

Also, don't freak out about fluctuations on the scale. The number can go up by a couple of pounds from water retention from exercise, too much sodium, or hormones. Look for a downward trend over time.

Good luck! I know you can do it!
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Eat less than you burn. Eat healthy foods. Read labels carefully. Preferably, get some exercise. The secret to losing weight is that there is no secret.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you are tracking EVERYTHING because things can add up. Drink lots of water, move some each day (even if it is just walking around your neighborhood) and be sure that you are getting enough protein in your diet.
    https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/sources-of-protein-how-to-get-abs-fast/

Try not to think about making changes as being something you have to do or a punishment, and look for ways you can have fun such as trying new recipes.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    low carb if you can..

why...low carb isn't magic...it's just one of many ways of creating a calorie deficit

I've got to say, as much as people say "eat whatever you want" and "IIFYM" and all of that, I'd way prefer to have lower carbs in my macros. Eating lower carb has also helped me lose weight faster, create a deficit daily, and feel better in general. But, hey, that's just one person's testimony.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    low carb if you can..

Not necessary.
    I eat moderate-high and am losing weight.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change, not a temporary diet. Eat the kinds of foods now that you plan on eating when you reach your goal. That will help you learn during the time that you're losing weight to eventually eat in a way that will allow you to maintain your goal weight.

Exercise will help you to increase your calorie burn. While you are losing weight it will allow you to eat more which might be the difference between success and failure. After, it will help you to maintain your weight. The fitness and health benefits that go along with regular exercise are also very important to your future quality of life.

Buy a kitchen scale and use it daily. Portion distortion is a leading cause of weight gain. Learn what the proper portions of food are and you'll be more successful.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    low carb if you can..

I've got to say, as much as people say "eat whatever you want" and "IIFYM" and all of that, I'd way prefer to have lower carbs in my macros. Eating lower carb has also helped me lose weight faster, create a deficit daily, and feel better in general. But, hey, that's just one person's testimony.

But it's not faster weight loss.....oh, unless you count water weight loss the first couple weeks (glycogen stores).

My goal is fat loss......calories in vs. calories out, low carb or high carb. It's still all about calories (unless you have medical issues).

For me it's about lifestyle changes. I need to focus on things that I can change that will help me keep the weight off. I'm not interested in temporary changes because that's temporary weight loss for me. But, hey, that's just one person's testimony.
  • roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    low carb if you can..

Not always true. 50% of my intake is carbs. I've lost 50 pounds so far.
    My number one tip would be to get a food scale :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    My #1 tip for losing weight?

Don't read the tabloids while in the checkout line. ;)
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Realizing losing weight is a simple math equation my body does was important. No special foods or diets, ignore talk about metabolism unless you have a medical condition, your medicines aren't making it harder, etc.... it's JUST calories in versus calories out, eat less than your body needs and it will seek out bodily sources of energy (from both fat and muscle). To make it easier on myself I exercise to make sure my body knows my muscles are being used and won't use them to make up for the energy deficit.

But math, and then remembering that the body heals at its own pace, including weight loss. If you can be certain about your values (as in weigh your food and actually log it) and you know you're eating what MFP says to or less you WILL drop weight but it won't be tomorrow and you can't control when your body choses to let that fat go. I like to think of it as a team effort but I can only do MY part not my body's. So control what goes in, know as much as you can about calories burned (aka don't believe your machine at the gym) and keep your eyes on the horizon not the scale.
  • esckaiftw
    esckaiftw Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    All good advice, but in the end do what works for you, that being whatever you can stick to. Results take time so be patient. Also consider not focusing on losing weight but getting fit. Do that and I guarantee you will lose weight.
  • carakirkey
    carakirkey Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the tips above-track those calories, but find fitness and food that can fit into your life. For example, I live within an easy bike commuting distance to work. So i get 40 minutes of exercise a day with it being very time efficient. I fit in walks and other fitness on my lunch breaks. Know yourself. for example I realize that if I drink calories (smoothies) I still need something to chew and would go over my calories, so salads are better for me. It takes time to develop new habits but ensure those are habits that can work with your life.