5-htp: does anyone take this and/or know about side effects?

Options
I've been taking 5-htp for the last two months, but when I was looking it up to reorder more, saw quite a few posts about side effects. I haven't noticed any myself at this point, but am curious if anyone else takes it? Has anyone noticed anything bad from it?

Replies

• dosesr4winners20
    Options
    I take this on an as needed basis. Some times I have days where I might wake up feeling down so I take one instead of taking depression meds. to me, the side effects of the meds is far worse then the 5-htp once in a while. I wouldn't take it everyday though. Haven't noticed an ill effects but than again i only take it as needed. if you feel the need to take this everyday, maybe a dr. visit is in order.
  • catecn
    catecn Posts: 84
    Options
    well, if its working for you, then i dont see a problem. I have a friend who takes it to help with depression. All supplements and drugs have side effects, so if you arent having a problem and you hink its helping i say go for it
  • tracimy9
    tracimy9 Posts: 15
    Options
    Ok. I was taking it more for the appetite suppressant elements and figured the mood elevator part could be a nice bonus (mainly due to elevating pms issues).

That's why I don't look up too much on the internet in that direction...I get freaked out too easily.
  • Guinepig
    Guinepig Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I do take it a week before my PMS. It's a cummulative effect so, usually you need to take it for a few days to work. Do take it at night because it can cause drowsiness. I googled the side effects and there were some but I can't recall them all at this time, so I recommend doing so.