HIIT "After" doing Strength & stamina

Options
Hi everybody.

i do my HIIT Workouts (Monday Wednesday & Thursday) "after" my Strength & Stamina (3-4 x 15 -20 reps) i learned to do Intervalls at the end of my workout back in the 80s as a cross Country skier.

I am having good results but i know there are a lot of different theories & Ideas as to when you should do HIIT of if you should mix Weight trainng for Strength & Stamina and HIIT in the frist place.

What are your experiencies with These Training methods?.
What principal do you follow?
Do you mix the two, or do HIIT at the beginning?
How is your Progress coming on?

This thread is to start up a positive discussion about thiese Training principals ans help others who just want to read without commenting.

Take care & greetings from Germany

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    personal preference.
  • stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yeah i think it probably is, i am more or less dead after my HIIT workouts so i wouldn't be able to Train after anyway ;)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't do true HIIT. However, when I do sprint intervals I do them at the end of my lower body lifting days. That way my in-between days are more restful.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT once a week. They're "expensive" workouts in terms of fatigue and recovery. And their benefit is real but limited.
  • stephenmoralee
    stephenmoralee Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the positive Feedback guys
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    HIIT doesn't match my fitness goals/requirements so I do much longer interval training. Typically one hour duration and the intervals can be anywhere from 2:30 mins to 10 mins.

I also have reservations about the match of (true ***) HIIT and hard weight training - too much stress, too much recovery needed which can then end up compromising your next workout. But of course not everyone does hard weight training....

If I were to do it I would do the same as you (same day) but my weights sessions are a full hour and high volume so again I would question how much gas I would have in the tank. Quality of training counts.
    I'm a bit dubious about the value of HIIT for people that have been training a long time or reached a high level as well, most of the admittedly dramatic improvements from HIIT come early on and then taper off.

*** = True HIIT as opposed to a fashion label hung on any old interval training.... (Sorry a pet peeve of mine!)
  • grob49
    grob49 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have found that my HIIt has really helped with my weight training. It doesn't take me as long to recover between sets since I have started and that includes squats and DL. I am doing 15min of cardio before and after workouts Mon Wed and Fri HIIT Tue and Tru and the one in on either Sat or Sun