Anyone else live in a town like this???

Options
YukonJoy
YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
Most people in the town I am from are really snobby if you prefer working out indoors in the summer. It never bothered me until was until I was working out on the stepper at my gym this summer and the upstairs cardio area and it was like 45 degrees Celsius up there and NO fans. (No air conditioning either, obviously). NOT ONE! Nada! I was dying. What the heck? Are they trying to kill us all?? When I complained at the front desk she actually said they are trying to encourage people to work out outside.

I was seriously mad. I am all for working out outdoors but personally I prefer to work out at the gym. Plus I pay good money for my membership so I should be able to work out there if I please. And who are they to judge and force us outside?? I actually canceled my membership with them other this.

Does anyone else live in a town with that kind of attitude??

Replies

• dipsl19
    dipsl19 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    why the hell would they want to encourage people to work out outside?!?! hello. if they realize they can do that, its bye bye gym membership.
    thats honestly unnacceptable, and they may have a lawsuit on their hands if someone faints or gets too overheated. its just really unsafe.
  • hkrosez
    hkrosez Posts: 53
    Options
    Wow. Are you sure she wasn't joking around? Sounds like it might have been a joke. Do they have an outdoor area to play soccer or football in our something?
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    INSANE! So glad you cancelled that membership. I hope you find another gym soon with AC.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    wow if i owned a gym i would be wanting as many people in there as possible serving up food and snacks and maybe having outings with it. They will close down soon.
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The first gym I went to in my town kept it so hot in the winter that the windows for the whole building were always completely fogged up.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I never experienced that but Im glad you cancelled your membership! My gym is a little warm for my taste, but thats mainly due to the fact Im not as used to the AZ heat so it doesnt feel "as cool" to me. And really? Thats their logic? obviously they dont want to stay in business! There are plenty of reasons not to workout outside during the summer, heat, being allergic to the sun (or simply wanting to avoid it), heat, you dont necessarily have access to weights outside, heat, you can get a more intense workout at the gym (typically) in a short time period it also helps some stay disciplined.... did I mention heat & the sun? I still think they just have no desire to stay in business
  • mcgwnkrista
    Options
    I used to work at a gym and that is a HUGE liability issue if your gym is doing that. It's different if you're specifically going to do hot yoga and you are prepared to be working out in the heat but for a gym to do that is ridiculous and I wouldn't be surprised if they close because of it.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I went to a gym like that. It was unbearable!! They didn't seem to care either, so I stopped going and started working out at home.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its too hot here to workout outside.. we are near 110F+ with the heat index and 105 without it
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    why the hell would they want to encourage people to work out outside?!?! hello. if they realize they can do that, its bye bye gym membership.
    thats honestly unnacceptable, and they may have a lawsuit on their hands if someone faints or gets too overheated. its just really unsafe.

Good point, I was thinking the same thing. Why would they want to encourage you NOT to use their facilities? That's like going to buy groceries and they refer you to the other store door the street. lol sounds like they are just too cheap to pay for cool air conditioning. Maybe if they did'nt push members away, they would have money for air. Just a thought...:P
  • texasmagz
    texasmagz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My mom had a similar issue with her gym. She lives in a small town and they weren't using the AC in certain parts of the building to keep electric bills down. Eventually, they closed the gym from noon-4pm. She ended up finding another gym but it was more expensive.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Thanks guys! I am so glad everyone agrees with me! She definitely wasn't joking. A LOT of people in this town have that kind of attitude. I was actually in a college class here where most of the students went on this rant about people who run inside on treadmills. I couldn't believe it. (I'm new here).

You know how the gym gets away with that crap? Small town. There's only 1 rec center and 2 gyms and the one in question is the biggest one, and what I would call the "heavy hitters" or serious gym. I canceled and wrote them a note. I'm now working out at the little gym by my house, which has a lot of high school boys and isn't really my thing but at least they have fans and care about their clients!!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your better off with the little guys, because they do care more about their clients: When you're number two, you're trying harder to be number one. When you're number one, sometimes you just get lazy because you think nobody can touch you!

But good for you cancelling your membership. That really is no way to treat a paying customer/client. Honestly, if they're going to encourage people NOT to use the gym in the summertime, then they shouldn't charge dues during those months!
  • radio_flyer
    Options
    That's crazy talk ... why would they encourage people to workout outside when it's butt *kitten* hot out there? hello, ever hear of heat stroke? Whatever! Good for you that you dumped that place!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your better off with the little guys, because they do care more about their clients: When you're number two, you're trying harder to be number one. When you're number one, sometimes you just get lazy because you think nobody can touch you!

But good for you cancelling your membership. That really is no way to treat a paying customer/client. Honestly, if they're going to encourage people NOT to use the gym in the summertime, then they shouldn't charge dues during those months!

I like this! :)
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous. I'm glad you found another option. The gym I go to (also in a small town) doesn't have a/c, but a ton of fans and good ventilation, so it's fine. As for encouraging people to work out outside- what the hell?!?! I honestly can't work out outside because I'm extremely pale and will get sunburned in about 15 minutes on a super sunny day. Sunscreen doesn't help because I'll just sweat it off. I'm sorry you have to deal with such snotty people.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Yes!! Thanks guys! I am so glad everyone agrees with me! She definitely wasn't joking. A LOT of people in this town have that kind of attitude. I was actually in a college class here where most of the students went on this rant about people who run inside on treadmills. I couldn't believe it. (I'm new here).

You know how the gym gets away with that crap? Small town. There's only 1 rec center and 2 gyms and the one in question is the biggest one, and what I would call the "heavy hitters" or serious gym. I canceled and wrote them a note. I'm now working out at the little gym by my house, which has a lot of high school boys and isn't really my thing but at least they have fans and care about their clients!!

LOL I'm sure the high school boys appreciate your patronage at the facility they use =D.

Honestly though, what's going on is the dumb clerk was told NOT to tell the clientelle that they're trying to pinch pennies on the electric bill...and so made up a lame excuse. A friends gym did the same thing, only using the excuse that its to 'make you sweat more' which is at least semi believable (even though it's proven that working out in comfort burns more calories).
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    That has to be the dumbest gym owner I've ever heard. I hope they have fun going out of business.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    I live in Los Angeles (aka hot as balls AND snotty central) and I've never seen anything like this. Complain to their corporate office.