stuck stuck stuck

Options
I've hit a weight loss wall.....going up and down 2lbs for 5 weeks now...........someone help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........i need to change something but not sure what........im at a loss at not losing. ive lost 55 so far ......8 more since i started using this site..........only 15 more to go and im at my goal...........help help help...........i set my goal calories at 1200 and if i eat over i exercise back down to the 1200......is this right......i eat very sensible and i exercise daily. walking 3-5 miles daily. any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing a long plateau as well. Feels like *kitten*, right?
    Try adding a couple of strength-training days to your routine. Even some body-weight-only exercises or some at-home dumbbells would do the trick.
    Some will also suggest that you try shocking your body with a day or two of more than 1200 calories. I think I've read that the number of calories that you would maintain your weight at is the number of calories you should try shocking your body with. Not sure if this is bogus or not.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    using MFP's program you're supposed to eat BACK your exercise calories so if you eat 1200, exercise burning 300 calories, then you're meant to eat 300 calories to keep your net at 1200.

Being so close to your goal what is your weight loss target per week? 0.5 or 1 lb per week is probably enough being that close, and if it puts your calories over 1200 FINE...

I have stalled twice in my loss so far, each time to break through I increased my caloric intake. I eat over 2000 calories a day and am still losing weight.
  • crystalmichelle82
    Options
    Hey i sent you a message to get more info on what you are doing to possibly help you out. I think 1200 calories is too low btw. But that depends on what you are doing and your stats.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    half, been there done that too........for 4 months, .............nada

then I increase the amounts of the weight I use at the gym, more HIT training , and some cardio, but mostly tried things like sit ups, lunges, lifting free weight and it helped

also, ate more protein, and back off on the carbs, just for the time being.............lost over 30 lbs in 3 months, after my 4 month plateau

they happen , dont throw in the towel...........look how far youve come ,

it sucks losing pounds that you regained, it happened to me at Easter..........never again, lol........just stay focused, and dont give in. Try chaning the amounts of cals per day you eat, more one day, less the next..thats how I did it, and again, I know were all different, but this worked for me.....I have about 18 lbs left , and Im never going back to that black hole that I lived in before I came here., ever..........best of luck, Ill add you as a friend , and if I can help, message me...............Lloyd
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I don't think you're hitting a plateau, but things will slow down a bit as you become smaller. If you keep taking in 1200 calories and exercising, you'll probably notice that you're losing a lot of inches. Once you've lost all your weight, then what do you plan on doing?
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    Try doing some intervals in your excerise. What ever you like doing the most in your cardio routine you should add some "all out sprints" into the routine. Example - You run on a treadmill at a steady pace of 3 mph for twenty minutes, within those twenty minutes run as fast as you can for 30 secounds to minute then back down to your pace. Keep repeating this for the entire twenty minute routine. It can be hard at first but it will help you break that plateau.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Yep, last time I got stuck I upped my calories to maintenance for a week. Going from 1200 to 1680 felt like a ton and I was convinced that I was going to be about 5lb heavier at the end of the week, but sure enough, I didn't gain an ounce! When I dropped back to 1200cals, I dropped 2 lb after the first week.

I'm just coming off of another maintenance eating period in another plateau-breaking attempt; today is my first day back at 1200.
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This has been happening to me too the past few weeks. I know I haven't been putting 100% effort in, but I've still been working out and sticking to recommended calories. Just keep going up and down the same 2 pounds...I'm going to take some of the advice here, though - thanks for asking the question!
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Look at your daily routine. Look at the exercises you are doing. Is there a definite pattern? It there is, change it. Change it one day, then change it the next. Eat up, eat down, work more work less. You have to fool your body, it is used to your routine. Hitting a wall, Plateau, happens to everyone.

This is what works for me and I hope it will shake it up for you too. It's funny but what has helped me lose in the past has been having a real blow out day.
  • Mel36Run
    Mel36Run Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have been going up and down that same 2 pounds for over 6 weeks now. It is very frustrating. I workout 5-6 days a week. I eat my calorie allowance. I think I have had 1 or 2 screw ups in that 6 weeks. It is like a science experiment. All we can do is keep trying. Soemthing will eventually work.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I was stuck for a long time too! I realized I wasn't getting enough protein. make sure you get enough protein every day :)