Gaining not losing inches or weight

Options
So I need some encouragement...i have started working out...it's been 9 whole weeks of switching it up...mostly weight training and cardio. I never used to work out. My diet isn't bad...it's keep a log in mfp... i started off at 203 now I'm 215 and can barely fit any of my clothes....i was happy that my butt was getting big...but i haven't lost any inches either....im taking the week off cause I'm discouraged and tired of waking up at 4 with no results. I upd my protein and limit my carbs and drink lots of water....What's up?!

Replies

• Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    rjstocks wrote: »
    So I need some encouragement...i have started working out...it's been 9 whole weeks of switching it up...mostly weight training and cardio. I never used to work out. My diet isn't bad...it's keep a log in mfp... i started off at 203 now I'm 215 and can barely fit any of my clothes....i was happy that my butt was getting big...but i haven't lost any inches either....im taking the week off cause I'm discouraged and tired of waking up at 4 with no results. I upd my protein and limit my carbs and drink lots of water....What's up?!

rjstocks, if you are gaining weight you are eating too much food. My guess is you are unintentionally underestimating food eaten and/or overestimating calories burned. This is pretty common.

You say your weight, but what is your height and your age? What is your daily calorie goal?

Also, do you:

1. Weigh your food and measure your liquids and log everything you eat?
    2. Do you do your own research to ensure you are choosing correct food entries from the database?
    3. Do you count exercise calories? If so, where do you get those burns from? Do you eat all or some of your exercise calories back?

This right here
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Sounds like you are eating too much. Are you logging calories? What has been your daily average intake over the 9 weeks?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating at a deficit in the CICO equation (calories in vs. calories out). The equation only works three simple ways...

1. Eat too many calories = gain weight
    2. Eat just the right amount of calories = maintain weight
    3. Eat too few calories = lose weight

Shoot for number 3 and you will tip the scale in the other direction it has been going for you over the past 9 weeks.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    If you are logging the exercise and then eating the calories back that is probably the problem. MFP is notorious for overestimating calories burned. I think it's much better to base your daily calories off of your average activity level and eat the same amount of calories every day, regardless of if you exercise that day or not.

You are gaining muscle but not losing fat so you must not be in a calorie deficit. That's all you need to adjust since you are doing everything else right (eating enough protein, exercising, drinking water).

Don't over do it though- remember to include rest days and get enough sleep as well. You repair/build muscle & lose weight mostly while you're sleeping, and adequate sleep is important for proper hormone levels too, so if you're sacrificing sleep to get up early to hit the gym that's counterproductive, try to go to bed earlier if this is the case.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Quote " i started off at 203 now I'm 215 and can barely fit any of my clothes..." and " My diet isn't bad...it's keep a log in mfp.."

Eating too much. time to reassess the log you are keeping in MFP..
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Hi, I would suggest rechecking the info you put in your goals here and log in everything you eat and drink every day. It's a real eye-opener. If you eat to goal, you will do fine:)
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Focus on the food. Make sure that your portions are accurate by using a food scale. Also make sure that the entries that you choose in the database are accurate. There are a lot of incorrect and outdated ones in there that make it easy for you to be eating more than you realize. It might be helpful for you to open your diary so you can get more detailed advice.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Can you open your food diary? If there is weight gain, it's due to eating too much food. Typically on MFP the biggest problems are 1. not weighing food causing inaccuracies and 2. not consistent in their logging.

It's also possible that if you are eating back all the exercise calories that it's overestimating how much you actually burn.
  • rjstocks
    rjstocks Posts: 16 Member
    Options

rjstocks, if you are gaining weight you are eating too much food. My guess is you are unintentionally underestimating food eaten and/or overestimating calories burned. This is pretty common.

You say your weight, but what is your height and your age? What is your daily calorie goal?

Also, do you:

2. Do you do your own research to ensure you are choosing correct food entries from the database?
    3. Do you count exercise calories? If so, where do you get those burns from? Do you eat all or some of your exercise calories back?

Also, do you:

I follow MFP that says I can eat 1800 calories. I'm 5'6 and I'll be 31 next month. I don't weigh my food. I do log everything. I wear fitbit which records my calories burned and workouts. I have deficients in calories. I don't do research...i didn't think it was so hard.
  • rjstocks
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Sounds like you are eating too much. Are you logging calories? What has been your daily average intake over the 9 weeks?

180p calories
  • rjstocks
    Options
    I think I've been eating too much....especially protein. I'm going to redo my fitness pal and do more research. Thanks everyone
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think I've been eating too much....especially protein. I'm going to redo my fitness pal and do more research. Thanks everyone

It's super easy to go over with protein if you're not weighing it...good luck!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Also, do you:

Also, do you:

I follow MFP that says I can eat 1800 calories. I'm 5'6 and I'll be 31 next month. I don't weigh my food. I do log everything. I wear fitbit which records my calories burned and workouts. I have deficients in calories. I don't do research...i didn't think it was so hard.
    By not weighing your food, you're eating more than you think. I was there once.

By 'eating too much protein', how much is too much, exactly? Protein doesn't cause weight gain, too many calories do.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily reduce protein- I actually had a really hard time at first because I wasn't eating enough protein- I think you just need to start measuring your food properly (using measuring cups and a digital scale), sticking to the macros guidelines, and double check that you have the correct calories to be in a deficit.
  • courtneyfabulous
    Options
    How the heck do you know how many calories you are eating if you don't measure or weigh your food?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Also, do you:

Also, do you:

I would first get a food scale. It's amazing how inaccurate humans are when it comes to estimating calories. Even trained professionals tend to be off by 250 calories, while non trained are over 400 calories. On top of that, I would put calories around 1600 (eat it daily and don't eat back exercise calories - call this the TDEE method). You don't need 180g, most women only need 90-120g. If you want more feedback on your food dairy, use the below link to modify the settings to open to public.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • elias1609
    elias1609 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Recheck your info that you put in. Do you have a food scale ? You may be overeating and didn't realize it.