I don't look skinny yet.

Options
Hi there!
I've went from 138 Ibs (63 kg) to 121 Ibs (55 kg) in two months. However, I still look the same and it's killing me. I know that I have to exercise, which I have, although not enough I think. I walk 10,000 steps or more every day and I dance as often as I can. But I can't afford a gym membership and I don't have that much time alone. I really have to go down to 105 Ibs (48 kg) (I am 5'2'' by the way) because that's something I've always wanted to do. So I need help, I don't know what to do. It's mostly my legs that are bothering me, I have enormous thighs. It's making me really unhappy and I limit myself because I feel ugly. I will never be happy unless I'm considered skinny, and that sounds terrible but it's true. That's how it works for me. So, please help me, or give me advice- anything! I'll appreciate it all. x

Replies

• StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    you're currently in pretty much in the middle of healthy weight range for your height. There can be large variation in the way in which people carry their weight, some having more muscle others having more fat. But, it seems like (as @TavistockToad says) the real issue is not your weight but your body image.

Please have a think about this and maybe talk to someone you trust about it (doctor, parent, teacher?).

Best wishes.
  • pdm3547
    pdm3547 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You may also need to search the board for body recomposition. It's not always about weight, but whether you carry muscle or fat.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    ahhhh yes, good ole Thunder Thighs.....I've got them too, tis a family curse I think....lol. Anyway, if your thighs are jiggly then perhaps you just need to work those muscles on a regular basis and not just sporadically. It could also just be your perception of yourself, since you don't show a full body shot then it's a bit hard for us to say if they are out of proportion with the rest of you or not
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I think most peoples thighs look big. It depends what you wear as to how they look. When I was young and slim, I felt upset about how fat my thighs look, but now I think its normal- I think woman tend to have bigger thighs. It just means theres more space to hold a puppy/kitten/baby :)
  • ElkeKNJ
    ElkeKNJ Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am 5´2 as well, and aiming for 55kg. I used to weigh 48kg, in my late teens and early twenties, but that is just skinny. 55kg looks great on a 5'2 person. (take it from a great-looking 68 kg - 5'2 person!). I am sure that there is a visible difference between your 63 kg and 55 kg, but people are not obliged to tell you that they notice. I am trying to say that you are at a healthy weight and nobody else besides you will be bothered about the number on the scales. They like you for you, and if somebody doesn't, that is normal too. People have different interests and personalities... stay away from someone who likes you at 48kg but not at 55kg! Anyway, if you wish to weigh/look 48 kg, start body recomp. There is no need for a gym for weight training, a good youtube channel and a full bottle of water will help you on your way.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    "I will never be happy unless I'm considered skinny"
    I understand what you mean, but you need to work on changing the NEVER part.
    And change from SKINNY to fit/lean.

I'm shorter 4'11" and I understand it.
    I'm sure you've lost a few inches, along with the pounds.
    Be sure to do body measurements.

Body composition is vital for us shorties.
    So is bloatedness.

Before my current diet, I did lose 10# (from 128 to 118) and I could barely see the difference.
    Because I was still very bloated and my body fat was still pretty high.

Since then, I've lost another 5# in weight, but I've lost a lot of body fat and I look like I've lost 20# (not just 5).
    The muscles that I'm developing are starting to reveal themselves.

I also have large thighs (from years of playing soccer/genetics). As I've built more muscles and reduce the body fat, my legs are definitely smaller.

My advice: walking is not enough.

Do:
    - walking lunges
    - pushups
    - tricep dips
    - hill sprints (great for butt/legs)
    - squats
    - glute bridges

If you have access to a gym: lift heavy weight.
    No, you do not get bulkier from heavy weights. You lose the fat and you'll look skinnier.

Amanda
  • Fayecg89
    Fayecg89 Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Hey there tovawiderberg.

I'm a short too, 5.3ft to be precise and currently the weight you used to be before your weight loss (well done on that by the way). I'm in the UK so converted your weight into stone which I make 8.6 stone. Now I was this weight when I was in my teens and also hated the way I looked and felt, I thought I had a huge bum and massive thighs and used to dream of being skinny. After having a baby and gaining weight then losing it again I finally came to terms with the way my body was shaped and unless I didn't eat and smoked like a train I simply wasn't going to go below 8 and half stone. I found it wasn't worth the self hate and hungry days and being miserable about something I couldn't control without being anorexic. Please don't punish yourself, enjoy being 19 and young and wrinkle free. Enjoy being slim (because you defo are at that weight no matter what body composition you are) and don't crave to be skinny. One day you'll wish you wore those tight jeans and walked with confidence and a wiggle when you could get away with it. I now love my curves and wish I didn't waste the time I did on hating them. I honestly think building you body confidence and love for who you are will benefit you more in the long run then losing more weight. If after losing a stone and not feeling any different do you really think losing more will be the answer? Perhaps talk find some groups in your area that work on building confidence and talk to someone about how you feel about yourself because sometimes we all need a little or a lot of support to help us through a challenging time. I wish you all the best :)

Lots and love and support

Faye

xxxx