Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Depends

Under 3 months ..+300

Exclusive breastfeeding 3-6 months +500

Mixed feeding +300 and trailing off dependent on number of feeds

But if you feel your supply at risk then rest, and increase
  • ejobson23
    ejobson23 Posts: 1 Member
    Before I started watching what I ate (sounds better than dieting to me :) I did my research on foods and drinks that help boost milk supply. A lot of these foods are in healthy meals!!!
    Foods that boost milk:
    -salmon
    -almonds
    -avacados
    -Gatorade
    -LOTS OF WATER (especially if you're working out) I drink 3+liters a day
    -chic peas
    -spinach
    -any veggies high in iron
    Just some off the top of my head.
  • pistachionuts
    pistachionuts Posts: 32 Member
    I've updated my base calorie intake to increase by 500cals for exclusive breastfeeding. It seems to work. My supply hasn't been affected and I'm still losing around 1-2lb a week
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Oatmeal is also a great galactogogue (food that helps you produce milk). I find that oatmeal for breakfast with protein and fruit keeps me full longer and satisfies me. I add a tablespoon or so of brown sugar, chopped dried fruit, and cinnamon.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    If you're having troubles getting in enough calories, then change some of the foods you eat to incorporate more calories-dense options. Work in some peanut butter (1 piece of whole grain bread and 3 tablespoons of peanut butter are ~450 calories), potatoes, some pasta, etc. The key is to prioritize your overall calorie intake, macro breakdown, fiber, and getting in your fruits/veggies to get enough micronutrients. If you're doing that, then eat the foods you like! It's called flexible dieting.