HELP ME!! Don't let me emotional eat tonight!

Options
I just got fired from my job, and I hadn't even started it yet :frown: I was due to start on August 8th and then my employer texted me and said she doesn't need a nanny anymore. I'm so devastated because I was counting on that job this school year and I'm afraid that when I sit down to dinner tonight I'll decide it's okay to pig out on whatever's available. Please tell me why I shouldn't and what I can do to help me feel better besides eat!

Replies

• ShelbyLB
    ShelbyLB Posts: 431
    Options
    First of all, take a DEEP breath!! Although its disapointing to lose the job...it ISN'T the end of the world!!!
    Remember all of your hard work thus far, and when you sit down to eat tonight, DON'T let yourself give in to emotional eating!
    Get active...go out for a walk/jog....go for a bike ride.....heck, do some cleaning...ANYTHING to take your mind off of your emotions which lead ot eating....
    And lastly, what always gets me through a 'rough' night....think of how GROSS you'll feel when you wake up tomorrow morning after binge eating tonight.......it won't be worth it!!!
  • H4Helen
    H4Helen Posts: 2
    Options
    that's awful - how rude of her to just text you! I'm not actually an emotional eater so not sure if my advice would work, but whenever I feel fed up or angry I either go for a walk or do an exercise DVD - or better still stick the music channel on and dance around!? Definitely don't drink alcohol because that will make you eat more. Good luck with the eating and job front
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I just got fired from my job, and I hadn't even started it yet :frown: I was due to start on August 8th and then my employer texted me and said she doesn't need a nanny anymore. I'm so devastated because I was counting on that job this school year and I'm afraid that when I sit down to dinner tonight I'll decide it's okay to pig out on whatever's available. Please tell me why I shouldn't and what I can do to help me feel better besides eat!

Look at how far you've come already! Don't blow all your calories due to emotions in one ghastly meal! If anything, go for an extra workout! It'll ease frustrations. YOU GOT THIS. Keep your eye on the prize!!! I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. I completely get how you're feeling. HOWEVER, you WILL find another job, and you WILL not over eat tonight? OKAY!?! It only looks up from here! Chin up!

And remember....
    ""One reason many people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.""
  • freddyrussell
    freddyrussell Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling! Yesterday I reversed my car into my neighbours and caused a lot of damage and is costing me a lot of money (Really worrying about money as it is, as i'm at university).
    I just really wanted to pig out on chinese and greasy chips and pizza to make me feel better.
    But the best thing to do is to look in the mirror, see the change you are making to your body and how pigging out and binging and putting all that rubbish into your body makes this journey a lot harder.
    I'm sorry to hear about your job, they'll be others (thats what i'm hoping atm for myself hahaaa)
    Good luck and stay away from the fridge and cupboards!!!
  • mummyflippers
    Options
    I'm really sorry about your job, hope you find another very soon.

Don't pig out because it will only make you feel worse, and ultimately it won't change anything - it won't bring that job back and it won't make you feel better.

Be kind to yourself while you're upset, but not with food!

Louise x
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    she TEXTED YOU?

that's so ****ty...what is happening to people?

Don't feel down, perhaps something else will come along soon enough!
  • xXxKayleighxXx
    Options
    I AM an emotional eater and i find that if i get upset there are only a couple of things i can do to stop myself from pigging out.

Either do some exercise, anything so long as it gets you moving. You don't have time to think about eating and when you're finished you don't want to ruin it by eating junk.

Or physically remove myself from the food. I like to take a book or a radio into the bathroom and sink into a bubble bath. There is no way i can get to the food and i get the thoughts out of my head

xxx
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    the lady probably had a change of plans or whaterever so doesnt need you...theres plenty of time to find another job....and if you pig out then all your hard work will not work out....you are doing so well do you really want to ruin that good streak with a pig out because a lady didnt need you for the fall
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Ok, bear with me. I'm a guy and as guy goes - I'm the worst kind. I'm a geeky engineer. We don't have feelings - we are pretty blunt and unemotional folk.

Let's look at the facts.
    1) You WERE NOT FIRED!! She didn't say "I can't stand the way you do 'x'; and you are so insipid that I want to throw up - go away and never come back. That simply didn't happen.

2) This has NOTHING to do with you. This is simply a household that has to re-align their household budget. Maybe his job is in jeopardy, and they dare not risk spending money now; when they may need it later. Maybe their income depends upon a contract, and they didn't win a contract. Perhaps you were to be hired on a bonus that has been canceled.

3) Why punish yourself, for something you didn't do wrong, could not have prevented, nor had any part of the decision making process.

This is like kicking yourself because it's raining.

It's unfortunate, it's inconvenient, it's disappointing - but it's not your fault. So, why sabotage yourself after the hard work you have put in? That would be punishing yourself - which in retrospect is really kind of silly, isn't it?

But, then I'm a fat old engineer - what do I know?
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    that soo sucks! i totally know how you feel.. last year i was counting on this one job.. got the offer, worked up my plans.. spent hours on prep time and they canceled my class a week before!!!

some people just don't relize that others count on their word!!

make sure you have some "good" food to pick at tonight if you feel like eating.. some carrots and cellary, maybe crackers and hummus... popcorn...

sorry.. You will find something.... ((((HUGS))))
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys! I went over about 100 calories but that's just because of the insane, gnawing hunger I was feeling physically. I did not eat just because I was sad :smile: You guys rock!
  • ZenMomentum
    ZenMomentum Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Haley,

It sounds like you dodged a bullet. Be grateful you didn't end up going to work for her. I agree with the fellow who says it's not a reflection on you. It isn't. It sounds like something wrong with her. Be glad.

It's never OK to punish our bodies for something our head fabricates. That's what we do when we gorge.

Remember to not starve yourself either. Nibble small healthy comfort snacks.

Exercise and stay busy is always good advice. Anything you can do to stay out of your head will help.

--Dave