bites of food

Options
Just wondering how you would log literally a "bite" of food, esp from a restaurant when you can't add the exact calories? I work in a restaurant and we have to "taste" specials-I had a very tiny amount of each today, but what I entered even seems high. Thanks!

Replies

• Libby9
    Libby9 Posts: 45
    Options
    I always think - better be too high than too low.
    I had a bite of a sandwich yesterday and added it as a quarter of a whole sandwich.
    Tricky one though!
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how you would log literally a "bite" of food, esp from a restaurant when you can't add the exact calories? I work in a restaurant and we have to "taste" specials-I had a very tiny amount of each today, but what I entered even seems high. Thanks!

My husband is a culinary student and he logs it as Quick Add Calories, like 150-200 for the day depending on what they are making and how much he's tasting. He likes to over estimate anyways.
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Does the restaurant that you work at have an actual chef or are the meals prepped already and just prepared for serving? She/He may be able to ball park it for you if at all approachable (Some of them are a little too full of themselves but you'll find some that are really interested in healthy eating). Also some of the chaim restaurants have calories listed for their signature dishes. Simply take one serving and divide it by 10 or 12 or however many bites you think are in that dish.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I probably add 50-100 quick add cals a day for "incidentals" like tasting what I'm cooking for dinner or popping a couple grapes out of the fridge or something like that. It certainly can add up so its a good idea to add them.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I always add mine. I try to find the exact item but if I can't, I try and find something similar and either put in a quarter or an eighth depending on how much of a bite I took.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How many specials were there? I guess some would disagree but I don't log every single bite I take. For example, if I'm at the grocery store and someone is passing out samples of something I'm not going to try and figure out how many calories were in that bite(s). The same is true if someone is cooking something and asks me to taste it. Even if I taste it 3 or 4 times over the course of cooking. That just seems a little obsessive.
  • wantthistowork
    Options
    Hi....first yes, I have a good relationship with our
    chef(s). And no it isn't a chain restaurant. I basically
    just wrote in all the ingredients and fractioned them.
    Very tedious, and for one of the specials I found a homemade
    version of the same thing. I might do the quick add next time! I guess
    that won't calculate the carbs/protein etc, but oh well.