I'm no longer invisible!

Options
hbrittingham
hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
I didn't even realize I WAS invisible until I stopped being so. When I was obese, strangers would talk to me, but just the basics and no real smiling or interacting, and I am a very friendly person. Then I moved into the overweight category and I've noticed that more people are talking to me. I'm just under 15 lbs away from being normal based on my BMI and I've stopped being invisible to other people. They converse with me, they smile at me, they interact with me. I guess this is a NSV for me!

Replies

• crysmiss86
    crysmiss86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Kinda sad. The way people are. A smile isn't any harder to give to one person or another.
  • mapinkerton
    mapinkerton Posts: 147
    Options
    I totally understand what you are saying! My husband is 10 years younger than me. He has friends his age and younger. MANY are in the music scene and several are in successful heavy metal bands. In the past when we went to his friends' parties I was pretty much invisible.

Saturday we went to one of THOSE parties. I have lost 36 lbs. and NONE of those people have seen me in over a year. I got a totally difference reception! People talked to me that have NEVER talked to me before. I got lots of hugs, congrats, compliments, etc.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I didn't even realize I WAS invisible until I stopped being so. When I was obese, strangers would talk to me, but just the basics and no real smiling or interacting, and I am a very friendly person. Then I moved into the overweight category and I've noticed that more people are talking to me. I'm just under 15 lbs away from being normal based on my BMI and I've stopped being invisible to other people. They converse with me, they smile at me, they interact with me. I guess this is a NSV for me!

This is so true, I dont know how many times people wouldnt even hold the door open for me. It was like I was so unimportant or invisible. People, mostly men(sorry but true) wouldnt even acknowledge me if I said, hi or good morning if I walked by them at work. It wasnt like I was trying to come on to them or anything at all, just trying to be nice. Granted I have lost 70lbs and things are different. But those people who at one time wouldnt talk to me, now will say hi, but I still have that resentment towards them. I am still the same person, just a smaller version.:huh:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    It IS sad that people judge what's on the outside and not the whole "package". I am sure part of it is that I have more confidence. I used to never wear makeup on the weekends or on vacation. Now I use some mascara and I think that makes a difference, too.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too. It makes me feel pissed off at people. It makes me wonder if maybe I (without meaning to) treat people differently based on their looks. It also makes me wonder if the difference in treatment has more to do with my actual weight/body/looks or if people are just responding to the signals I send out (I'm happier and more confident now, so maybe my nonverbal signals make me seem more approachable). In any case, congratulations on your weight loss!
  • hunni70
    hunni70 Posts: 57
    Options
    sad but true congratulations on your nsv!!! :drinker:
  • annameeks00
    Options
    I have noticed a huge difference from guys.. makes me mad, and I guess a lil flattered at times.. but its ridiculous the difference in the way people treat you. Anyhow, Congrats on ur NSV :)
  • Iam918
    Iam918 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    This is so true, I dont know how many times people wouldnt even hold the door open for me. It was like I was so unimportant or invisible. People, mostly men(sorry but true) wouldnt even acknowledge me if I said, hi or good morning if I walked by them at work. It wasnt like I was trying to come on to them or anything at all, just trying to be nice. Granted I have lost 70lbs and things are different. But those people who at one time wouldnt talk to me, now will say hi, but I still have that resentment towards them. I am still the same person, just a smaller version.:huh:

^ Try being a fat guy for a day. It works just the same way w/ getting snubbed by the women, probably even more so.

grats on the nsv though, it does feel good once you get noticed again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!