How did I gain 5 pounds in a day??

Options
I weighed myself before bed last night and was 126, then weighed myself the today at the gym and was 131. I ate well yesterday, did 60 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of strength training. How did this happen? I'm so scared I haven't been 130 in months.

Replies

• Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    different scales? lol
  • RebelliousRibbons
    RebelliousRibbons Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Different scales can be inaccurate.
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Think: have I pooped and how much salt did I eat... maybe that will answer your question...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    You didn't. Weigh yourself at the same time each day. (once per week would be better). You retain water after workouts.
  • jesyka822
    jesyka822 Posts: 2
    Options
    No I came home and got on the same scale as last night and it said 131 also
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yes, different scales, water weight (sodium levels), and extra waste (poop as someone else said.)

On that note, I've gained 10 lbs in one day just from eating salty stuff and no I didn't go to the bathroom. Same scale. Not sure I should be proud of this or not. :laugh:
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    most likely water and food weight. it'll go once you go for your number ones and number twos
  • steve4580
    steve4580 Posts: 32
    Options
    I always weigh at the same time (in the morning before eating or drinking). I also always use the same scale every time. This eliminates some frustration!
  • DRay64
    DRay64 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That has happened to me before and is especially true when its near that TOM.
  • Heatherbledsoe
    Heatherbledsoe Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    well you also fluctuate a lot in a day too lol
  • Cking86
    Cking86 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered, you are suppose to weigh yourself when you wake up in the morning. Before meals, etc. You may be experiencing PMS,or for whatever reason plain ol' water retention.
  • Frappuzzino
    Frappuzzino Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    No I came home and got on the same scale as last night and it said 131 also

Many things factor into why our weight fluctuates.
  • lydt5880
    lydt5880 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Omg this happened to me this week. I weighed 3lbs heavier even tho had exercised and eaten carefully logging everything properly. I also measure and my stomach has gone up by an inch. If poop and water/food can add so much weight then how do you know when a weight loss is a real loss?
  • healthygirltx
    healthygirltx Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can't compare weight measured on different scales.
  • kbear_fit
    kbear_fit Posts: 3
    Options
    As a fitness tech I can tell you you didn't really gain 5 lbs in one day. Make sure you weigh yourself at the same time on the same scales. Keep in mind that as a women we have to worry about water weight gain more then a man. A few days or the week of our monthy cycle we can have alot of water retention. Don't weigh yourself every day. Try to weigh yourself 1 a week and at the same time of the day...Also remember in the heat we retain alot of water weight when we eat to much sodium. Keep working out and eating right and you will se results. Good Luck.
    :smile:
  • CountryDevil
    CountryDevil Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always weigh at the same time (in the morning before eating or drinking). I also always use the same scale every time. This eliminates some frustration!

I have to agree here. It is best to weigh youself in the morning before you eat or drink. I go the extra steps of weighing in just my birthday suit and usually after I ....um.... "take care of business".
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    water or scale difference
  • vsyates
    vsyates Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You didn't: different time of day combined with different scale and throw in different clothes (probably) = weight gain :flowerforyou:
  • reishon
    reishon Posts: 4
    Options
    exercise build muscle mass.dont freak out it will drop off.
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    only use one scale...same time every week...your monthly cycle...too much salt...
    good luck:)