Damn sugar.

Options
Ok so I have what is probably the LARGEST sweet tooth ever (I'm so serious).

I normally find it hard to stay within my allowed sugar, but when I do go over its only by a few grams.

Today, however, I went over by 77! Breakfast was just cereal. My lunch of mandarin chicken had a lot of sugar (duh!). Dinner was 'normal', but then came dessert, and with like 650 calories left, I indulged a little with it.

And I still have 315 calories left that I wont be eating, due to not being hungry and not wanting to force myself. How can I lower my sugar intake without giving up everything that I love that is sweet (please don't suggest cutting sugar out completely, that wont work, believe me. I will end up binging because I can't have it).

Sidenote: I tried the No Pudge Brownies today and am IN LOVE, except for the 22g of sugar a piece.

Replies

• plussized
    plussized Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I normally find it hard to stay within my allowed sugar, but when I do go over its only by a few grams.

Today, however, I went over by 77! Breakfast was just cereal. My lunch of mandarin chicken had a lot of sugar (duh!). Dinner was 'normal', but then came dessert, and with like 650 calories left, I indulged a little with it.

And I still have 315 calories left that I wont be eating, due to not being hungry and not wanting to force myself. How can I lower my sugar intake without giving up everything that I love that is sweet (please don't suggest cutting sugar out completely, that wont work, believe me. I will end up binging because I can't have it).

Sidenote: I tried the No Pudge Brownies today and am IN LOVE, except for the 22g of sugar a piece.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    Eat more fiber(?) It does help. Actually you can use those 315 cal to eat some veggies - about 6 pounds of them!

Sugar is white death. We all know it, but it is so insidious.

I read (don't know where) that if you are trying to eat really low-fat, that your body craves sugar. I'll try to find that quote for you. I stopped eating nonfat dairy and switched to lowfat a while ago and that seems to help. Try it. :flowerforyou:
  • Robin_
    Robin_ Posts: 105
    Options
    While you body won't get anything except instant fuel from the sugar....you will still lose weight as long as you stay under your calorie allotment. Take your vitimins! Best to all!
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm no help, I'm a complete, self confessed sugar junkie too! I love sweets of all shapes and sizes and sweetners are no subsitute. I would rather have a coffee mug of REAL ice cream than, some low fat...or worse no fat stuff. What I try to do is NOT keep it in the house and I don't buy sweets with the groceries. I know it sounds silly, but if I really want a treat I will make myself find the time to go out and indulge. (Baskin Robins is my personal favorite due to nostalgic reasons.) If I really want it, I go there and have a scoop. If I bring home a bucket of ice cream I will sit and eat it...Alas, I have no will power at all. Same goes for cookies, brownies, chocolates or any other lovely things I can think of.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I'm no help, I'm a complete, self confessed sugar junkie too! I love sweets of all shapes and sizes and sweetners are no subsitute. I would rather have a coffee mug of REAL ice cream than, some low fat...or worse no fat stuff. What I try to do is NOT keep it in the house and I don't buy sweets with the groceries. I know it sounds silly, but if I really want a treat I will make myself find the time to go out and indulge. (Baskin Robins is my personal favorite due to nostalgic reasons.) If I really want it, I go there and have a scoop. If I bring home a bucket of ice cream I will sit and eat it...Alas, I have no will power at all. Same goes for cookies, brownies, chocolates or any other lovely things I can think of.

I'll eat ALL of anything with sugar in it. I think I lived on butter pecan ice cream and nothing else many days in my past.:embarassed: ......can't have sugary stuff in the house, either. :noway: The more I eat, the more I want.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Ms Orchid,

How old is your little green love-bug? Beautiful! :heart:
  • Lizjkp
    Lizjkp Posts: 278
    Options
    Have you tried "Chromium" :bigsmile: it helps with the cravings :drinker: and for me especially the sugar cravings, try a few almonds.
    I suppose your body is thinking :grumble: "If I get very little fat :noway: then you have got to compensate me in some way and your's wants sugar"?.

HELP :sad: this is the 5th week that I have not lost weight :grumble: I have tried Zig zagging for the last week to no avail :noway: (scale this morning on weighing says I have picked up almost 2.5lbs :angry: ) anybody got any ideas PLEASE.......................................:tongue:

Life may not be the party we hoped for :grumble :explode: but while we are here we might as well dance! :drinker: :blushing:"
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Ms Orchid,

How old is your little green love-bug? Beautiful! :heart:

Oh you wouldn't call him that if you were here right this minute:laugh:
    He's 7 months old now and although he's wonderful with other people or in public...he's my 1st screamer. Such a pickle! :ohwell:
  • greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    Going over on your sugar is okay if it's NATURAL sugar. Your body knows what to do with that (from fruit and such). However, going over with just processed sugar will do you no good. Try to cut as much as you can, treats are okay, just look for lower sugar or sugar free as much as possible. Hope this helps !!
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Sugar is white death. We all know it, but it is so insidious.

:laugh: I love white death! I call it white crack!! :laugh:
  • Leeci
    Leeci Posts: 6
    Options

You don't really say where all your sugar is coming from - that might be the first place to start....by writing a list of what you eat every day for a week and then "analyze" exactly where the sugar is coming from (ie: fruits, juices, sodas, candy, etc.) so you have an idea of whether it is natural sugar or bad for you sugar.....then perhaps you can make some changes from there. If it's candy or that type of sweets, perhaps you can switch to "dark chocolate" which is better. Good Luck to you.