How do you feel about the 'before and after' pic?

Options
To avoid any misunderstanding, I think every effort you put into your weight loss journey deserves to be recognized. It's your hard work and commitment that is transforming you into a healthier YOU. How you choose to show your results is entirely up to you, I'm not putting anyone down if you have a revealing profile pic or instagram gallery. Be proud, you've earned it! With that out of the way, here goes:

Does anyone feel pressure to post the 'before and after' picture? The reason I ask is because in the past, myself and other close friends - who obviously needed to lose some pounds were approached by a handful of fitness coaches; they promoted programs, offered large plastic jars filled with powder/pellets. Some of my friends bought into it and began programs where they felt pressured to strip down and have their picture taken and to verify their official weight.

I grew up to be reserved and modest, so if I were ever asked to do something like this, it would be completely over the top. To a degree I feel that pics aren't necessary, however on the flip side; social media needs proof (hence the phrase: "Pics or it didn't happen").

I'm the type of person that maybe changes their profile picture once a year- I've got about 4 'selfie' pics taken within a 4 year period. I can think of a few people that take 4 selfies before getting out of bed!

Maybe this post isn't so much a question as it is me just wanting some thoughts/feedback. So how does MFP feel about the 'before and after' pic? Necessary or not? I'd like to hear your opinions. :)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    To each their own, its not necessary but a lot of people don't realise how far they've come and seeing photos of what they used to look like compared to now gives them a great sense of achievement.

You do whatever is right for YOU :smile:
  • mcas18
    mcas18 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before and After pics are a GREAT motivator to me!!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    When I felt like I wasn't making any progress, I would look at my progress pictures and realize I was going the right way, just slowly.
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I took pics when I first started on MFP but I haven't looked at them since. I only took them in case I ever wanted to see them - it's too late to decide it was a good idea once I've lost the weight! They're for my eyes only though, I wouldn't post them online or show them to anyone else.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,195 Member
    Options
    I found my progress photos to be useful ... but there was no stripping down involved!! There's no need for that.

Oh, and if you're going to post progress photos, clean up the room in the background ... pick the dirty clothes up off the floor, make the bed, etc.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't think that a before and after picture is "necessary." It would make sense that it's necessary for people that are trying to peddle weightloss programs/products/pellets to make their clients take a before and after because they're trying to sell people and drastic images of weight loss is their big sales pitch. I would never feel pressured to take before and after pictures and certainly wouldn't do it if I didn't want to. Not to mention the fact that I would never purchase said programs/products/pellets.

On a personal note though when I started my weight loss journey I was HUGELY inspired by seeing other peoples before and after pictures (especially on this forum). Though I had achieved everything else I ever really tried to do, weight loss was the one thing that I failed at time and time again and it often seemed like an unattainable goal. Seeing that other people could really lose the weight provided me hope in a time of hopelessness when I was 70 pounds overweight. Now that I have lost the weight I kind of feel like it's my duty to post my own before and afters in hopes of allowing someone else to see that it is indeed possible.

Even if you never post these types of pictures for anyone else to see I find them valuable to have and look back upon. It reminds me where I was, how unhappy I was at that point in my life and how much better I feel now. Looking back at those images helps to keep me focused on the reasons why I want to continue living this healthy lifestyle as opposed to reverting back to old and perhaps easier ways. This is a lifelong journey and I plan on utilizing any tool in my arsenal that will help me to stay on the right path, before and after pictures included.
  • girlgroves
    girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There's a huge difference between taking pictures for your own purposes and posting them for all to see on the internet! And the only person who should/might need proof of progress is yourself. But as RunRutheeRun mentions, 'each to their own' - my MFP before and after/progress pictures for example are not even selfies and are all fully clothed, but I AM taking 'more revealing' pictures of certain parts of my body to be able to compare and judge non-scale based progress now that I've reached my goal weight and am trying to recomp. They are proving very useful, because they're helping me to see a definite difference, even where I maybe hadn't noticed - but trust me - no-one else will ever see those!! I don't think anyone should ever feel pressured into doing anything they are not comfortable with. :)
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Not necessary but nice to have to see progress or for motivation - I took my own just for me and I did NOT realize how big & flabby I'd gotten until I did that- looking in the mirror and looking at a photo are somehow so different!!

If you want pics for showing to others you can always do them fully clothed. If you have significant weight to lose it is apparent even in clothing.
  • Starrydance07
    Starrydance07 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    just want to lose 10kg, then few people could idetify me easily, to be a much fitter and prettier me, a real me.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I periodically take pictures for myself, because I find its one way to document how my body is changing. But for the most part they're private, I'm documenting my change for me, not for anyone else. If someone else wants to post their pics, that's awesome, I just prefer not to.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    To each their own.
  • mnvicke
    mnvicke Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My opinion is similar to what several others have already stated: I feel like pictures are a personal choice. I've been taking photos of my weight-loss journey, but have not posted any yet. I wanted to have photos to document my progress for my own benefit - to help myself see progress I've made. Sometimes, it's hard to look in the mirror and see your accomplishments (at least - for me it is). But, with photos, it makes the changes a little more obvious.

Personally, I love seeing before and after photos, because it gives me motivation and helps me see that others have done it, so I can, too. But, I would never want someone to share photos of themselves if it made them uncomfortable to do so!

Bottom line: If you want to take photos of yourself during your weight-loss / gain journey, do so. If you want to share them, feel free. If you want to keep them to yourself, that's perfectly okay, too. Or, if you don't want to take any pictures of yourself, don't. Do whatever feels right for you, and don't let outside influences pressure you. :smile:
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Lots of great responses, thanks everyone! I had considered taking a 'before' pic while I'm still at the start of my fitness journey, maybe I'll save them until I reach my first milestone (75lbs) then upload them. I can't deny that the motivation factor plays a big (literally) part in pressing toward your goals. Sometimes I run across a photo and can't help but think they are two different people. Results are results, hard work pays off.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have before and after pics...I've never felt pressure to post them anywhere...they're primarily for me...