Can anyone help?? Advice needed!

Options
I am worried I may be eating too many calories. I weigh 211 pounds and mfp suggest I consume 1,470 calories/day. Does this seem like too much? I feel like I'd be hungry if I ate any less but I also want to be successful. I'm trying to find the right balance.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No, it's not too much. It's likely that you could actually eat more and still lose weight.
  • Spears1354
    Spears1354 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    No I don't believe it is in fact it sounds about right... That Calorie target should allow you to lose weight at a healthy pace :)
  • Christian_Anthony
    Christian_Anthony Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No, you always gotta burn more then you are eating. But you do need to replace the calories you burn just in a healthy way. Make sense??
  • Guitarman1994
    Guitarman1994 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sounds about right. Just make sure they are healthy calories and stagger them out through the day. If you are working out hard you could probably do more than that though. All depends on your exercise regimen!
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    1470 seems like too few calories to me for sure, it's nowhere near enough. You will be hungry at this much. In order for you to be successful, you need to be patient, go slow and knock off a few calories a day. The journey will take awhile, but you can do it, and it won't be that hard. I'd suggest you set your goal at a modest 250 calorie deficit each day, which over time will work out to 0.5 lbs per week. Check out this little calculator http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ it will tell you how many calories you'd need if you stayed in bed all day and didn't move. I assumed you were 5'5" and it told me you'd need 1,775 per day just to live. Multiply this by 1.2 if you are generally sedentary (don't do much exercise) and you get 2,130. Now thinking about how much weight you'd like to lose each week, subtract 250 (for 0.5 lbs) and 500 (for 1 lb) and you'd get 1,880 and 1,630. Try one of those or something like 1,750 for a few weeks and see what happens. You needn't be hungry all the time, if you are, you're probably eating too little, even to lose weight. As your weight goes down you will have to adjust it a touch, but you won't need to worry about that for 20 lbs or so. This will take months, but so long as you stick with it, you'll find you gain confidence and will have to buy new clothes soon. :)

This part is important, log in every single meal, sometimes before eating, to put in what you're eating. Don't make yourself starve, it won't work. Even if you are over your calorie goal (which happens to me once every 3 days or so and I've lost 30 lbs) you've got to put your food in. This is to be honest with yourself. Go slow, pick a modest goal at first until you get the confidence that you can do it, and one thing is sure, I know you can and everyone else here who's lost some weight knows you can too :)
  • Christian_Anthony
    Christian_Anthony Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Lean meats, vegetables, and oats. Mainly vegetables, you got this.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Boyles6429 wrote: »
    I am worried I may be eating too many calories. I weigh 211 pounds and mfp suggest I consume 1,470 calories/day. Does this seem like too much? I feel like I'd be hungry if I ate any less but I also want to be successful. I'm trying to find the right balance.

Without knowing your height, it's hard to tell. If you are losing on 1,470 it's not too much. If you're stalled or not losing, you may be too sedentary or underestimating your calories. I lost at a 2lb/week on 1200 calories without being hungry. When I went for regular walks or exercised, I could eat 1700 and still lose.

I think you should try 1,470 for two weeks. If there's no change, either make an effort to move around more, like taking short daily walks, or decrease your calories to about 1300. Give it time but don't give up. :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »

Without knowing your height, it's hard to tell. If you are losing on 1,470 it's not too much. If you're stalled or not losing, you may be too sedentary or underestimating your calories. I lost at a 2lb/week on 1200 calories without being hungry. When I went for regular walks or exercised, I could eat 1700 and still lose.

I think you should try 1,470 for two weeks. If there's no change, either make an effort to move around more, like taking short daily walks, or decrease your calories to about 1300. Give it time but don't give up. :)

If she is 5' tall her BMR with that weight is around 1600 and if she's 6' tall her BMR is around 1800. That's the amount her body would need if she was in a coma. Since I'm sure she moves around during the day she burns more than that and that's not even counting exercise. 1470 is absolutely a deficit for her weight, no matter what her height. If she's not losing weight she needs to weigh her food and log accurately.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Not too much.
  • Boyles6429
    Boyles6429 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your responses- I appreciate the input/advice!

I use to be very active in the past and consumed the same calorie amount = success.
    However, I have a desk job now that is 75% sitting. I make an effort to take 3 (20 minute) brisk walks/day. It's still not as much movement as I would like but it's a start.

With all of your positive responses regarding my calorie intake... maybe I will continue with 1,470 but try hard to get more active before/after work!

@ CaptainJoy: I am 5'8*

• usmcmp
    Options
    Thank you all very much for your responses- I appreciate the input/advice!

I use to be very active in the past and consumed the same calorie amount = success.
    However, I have a desk job now that is 75% sitting. I make an effort to take 3 (20 minute) brisk walks/day. It's still not as much movement as I would like but it's a start.

With all of your positive responses regarding my calorie intake... maybe I will continue with 1,470 but try hard to get more active before/after work!

@ CaptainJoy: I am 5'8*

I'm 5'9" and started calorie counting at the same weight you are. I had a desk job and exercised 3 times per week. I found 1600-1800 was a sweet spot for me. Enough food to not feel starving, but enough of a deficit to lose weight.
  • Jaramdel
    Jaramdel Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Seems insufficient amount.
  • Boyles6429
    Boyles6429 Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and started calorie counting at the same weight you are. I had a desk job and exercised 3 times per week. I found 1600-1800 was a sweet spot for me. Enough food to not feel starving, but enough of a deficit to lose weight. [/quote]

Thank you so much- that is actually very helpful!

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I started at 187 lbs and MFP set me at about the same. My calorie goal as set by MFP is 1,420. I have been losing about a pound every 5 days. This is with out exercise other than walking. I think you should be fie at the 1,470.
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Being 5'8" does require more calories to stay healthy. I'm 5'5". The deficit combined with exercise makes a huge difference. The 1,470 is before exercise. A 30 minute walk can give you 200 extra calories to eat while still losing. Since you're worried that you're eating too much, try to move more. Don't overdo it but work at doing a little more each day.
  • indiacaitlin
    indiacaitlin Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That's almost definitely putting you in a caloric deficit, you could probably even get away with eating more. Don't deprive yourself :smile: