Irritability from cutting carbs/clean eating?

Options
Hi all - I have been watching what I at and slowly losing weight (I lost about five pounds in the past month, after gaining about 20 pounds in the year before that). Lately, I noticed that I am experiencing fatigue and irritability. I thought maybe I wasn't getting enough sleep, but I'm really getting close to 8 hours of sleep every night. I have a pretty healthy lifestyle, rarely drink coffee, alcohol or sugary drinks, I work out for an hour a day and walk 10,000 steps a day. I also have been being careful with food (I have about 1200-1400 calories a day, and try to keep processed foods and carbs to a minimum).

I really think my mood is diet related, and specifically I think it's related to cutting back on bread, pasta and other carbs. I saw a bowl of pasta on Instagram today and can't stop thinking about how much I want it! I am having trouble because I am tired all the time, and have no patience lately. Could it be my body getting used to my cleaner, healthier diet? I would appreciate any tips on how I can get my energy up while eating clean!

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with carbs? Also you might not be eating enough.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

This. I am miserable when I eat low carb, which I only ever do accidentally. I feel best eating @ 50% carbs, but everyone's different.
    I don't eat "clean", so can't help you with that. I wasn't aware avoiding carbs was associated with eating clean.
  • purple18194
    purple18194 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    that is possible. it may not even necessarily be that you're not "getting enough," so much as it just takes time for your body to adjust if it's used to getting more than what you've changed it to. in my experience, it takes about a week or two to adjust to it and then you start having more energy. in the meantime, drink a lot of water and if you're absolutely starving or dragging, have a small portion of healthy fats (nuts, a tablespoon of peanut butter, etc)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    NicoleHaki wrote: »
    I work out for an hour a day and walk 10,000 steps a day. I also have been being careful with food (I have about 1200-1400 calories a day, and try to keep processed foods and carbs to a minimum).
    Are you eating back at least part of your exercise calories earned?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

@NicoleHaki how tall are you? 1200 calories is really only appropriate for very short women, or older sedentary women.

What percentage of the calories you earn from exercise are you eating back?

Unless you have a medical condition aggravated by carbs, there's no need to avoid them in order to lose weight. I personally did find it useful to reduce baked goods, but I am by no means low carb.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    When I was actively trying to lose weight, if I dipped below 1500 before exercise calories, I was crabby and tired. It didn't matter what the fuel was. I'd start with making sure your deficit is not too aggressive, and then if that isn't the problem, gurl let yourself have some carbs.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    With your level of activity 1200-1400 calories is likely too low. Try adding 100 calories per day and see how you feel. If it's still not enough, add some more until you reach a level that gives you enough energy to get through your day.

Also, if you're keeping carbs very low starting recently, that could be another cause. Eating carbs replenishes the glycogen in your system that most people's bodies use for fuel. If you aren't eating carbs to replace what you're using you'll get tired, foggy, and maybe even headaches because you're low on glycogen. If you continued to eat very low carb for a week or more, your body would eventually switch to burning fat instead of glycogen and you'd start to feel better again. However, as soon as you ate more than around 20-40 grams of carbs you'd likely have to start all over again.
  • King786
    King786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Lets make something clear here...cals in vs out..if a plate if pasta fits your cal intake go for it...keto diet is not for everyone. However just cut your cabs instead of 2 sweet potatoes eat 1...the bowl of pasta half it...that way you hit your cal goal..lose weight and feel satisfied
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Anvil_Head wrote: »
    All I know is that if I was eating in a way that made me miserable and irritable, I probably wouldn't last long on it. The best diet is the one you can stick to and enjoy as much as possible. No need to cut carbs or "eat clean" (which is a ridiculous, subjective phrase anyway).
    Agreed.
  • blueeyetea
    blueeyetea Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    NicoleHaki wrote: »
    Could it be my body getting used to my cleaner, healthier diet? I would appreciate any tips on how I can get my energy up while eating clean!

I think so. Look up the keto or atkins flu. It's normal for the first week or two to hit a slump in energy when you remove refined carbs. Side effects can include symptoms like headaches, tiredness, irritability, and/or feel like you've been hit with a cold. Make sure you eat enough proteins and fats and drink lots of water. I'd also go easy on the exercise the first couple of days. If the cravings get too bad, ease into removing your carbs instead of quitting cold turkey, for example, instead of a slice of bread, eat a cracker or two with peanut butter.

• King786
    King786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    @King786 I agree with cutting your cabs. People should walk more! :o

Agreed. +no carbs for some is impossible. My body goes crazy..if i have no carbs my diet in two days time is out the window
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    All I know is that if I was eating in a way that made me miserable and irritable, I probably wouldn't last long on it. The best diet is the one you can stick to and enjoy as much as possible. No need to cut carbs or "eat clean" (which is a ridiculous, subjective phrase anyway).

This. I would be miserable on a such a restrictive diet. No caffeine and no sugar? No thank you. My advice is eat foods you like and fit them into your calorie goal. If you are this miserable a month into this, how do you expect to sustain this way of eating? And if you are planning to "eat healthy" now and go back to your old way of eating after you lose the weight then you are setting yourself up for failure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with carbs...and there are tons of "clean", highly nutritious carbs...not eating carbs would make me miserable too.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Low on carbs for me makes me have that I get boozy fog head feeling, lethargic, fatigued, headache, you name it. My sweet spot is right the in middle..

If this bout lowering carbs find your sweet spot. If you are not eating enough, increase those calories some. No need to be completely miserable when trying to lose weight.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Tried low carb before, hated it, constantly felt tired and sluggish
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

All of this.

Losing weight and living a healthy lifestyle does not mean we have to eliminate the foods we love or demonize an entire macronutrient.

Eat what you like, just make sure you eat within your calories and that you're getting adequate fat/protein. Sure, it's a good idea to eat your veggies, but you can eat your veggies AND eat the foods you enjoy. Pretty much any food in moderation can be incorporated into an overall healthy diet.

And I agree with the other posters who say you may not be eating enough. I feel the way that you feel when I cut calories too drastically OR cut out too many carbs. I need carbs to feel energetic and satisfied, and I need adequate food to function.