How to continue exercising when sick

Options
Hey guys, so heres the scoop. I think I am getting a cold. I want to know how I should proceed? Should I continue with my running routine (outside), should I exercise inside for a few days, or should I just take a few rest days? I really do not want to make this cold any worst than it has to be.

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different! I usually push through and exercise during a cold. I like to think I sweat it out...don't know if that's just a myth!! Listen to your body!!
  • jagodfrey08
    jagodfrey08 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Greetings fellow sick person. I too have a cold. I find that modifying my exercise to suit my breathing and how I feel works best. I go for a walk if I am not overly exhausted or feeling like crap. I made homemade chicken soup last night and made sure to stay in my calories range. Basically, drink plenty of fluids, eat well, get plenty of rest, and slow down a bit if you feel like you need to.

If you aren't bad off, and you aren't exceptionally miserable, go for it if you want.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with a chest cold and sinus congestion.. I have felt fine, first couple of days when that ick taste in my mouth and feeling where my body was working in over drive to heal and repair, I still worked out. My body did not seem to "rebel".

I still went running, cool mornings, coughing and what not..and still continued strength training.. I feel fine, just got that ick in my head and chest.

Listen to what your body is telling you.. If you feel it (fatigue, lethargy, or just unwell) don't work out.. I suck on vitamin c as well through out the day and take a nap if I needed it.. Hydrate well and eat well.
  • raven56706
    raven56706 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    unless you have a fever, you can push through. Sinus infections and chest colds can be helped with sweating it off.

Everyone is different but listen to your body first. If fatigued, then dont go. If you are semi ok to push through, go kill it at the gym
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I think the rule is - for symptoms above the neck (stuffy nose, headache, sore throat), keep on exercising as normal. For symptoms below the neck (fever, body aches, stomach ailments), rest.

That said, I'd probably do whatever I felt up to doing - but don't push it. Don't try to run further or faster than usual - don't try to lift heavier, that sort of thing.
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you have a chance of passing it on to someone, please don't. Or wipe down all your equipment if you must. Don't be the one getting others sick at the gym.

I am a outside runner and I workout in the comfort of my own home I do not feel comfortable at the gym. Also not having a car makes it a bit harder getting around, but if i do go somewhere I will keep this in mind.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting over a cold. I took a break from the gym for a couple of days which really helped. It may be a coincidence, but this was the quickest cold recovery I've had, so I think my body just needs to rest to get better. Others like to push through - I've done that before and seemed to take forever to get better.

As I'm getting older, I also recognize how inconsiderate it is for sick people to go about their daily routine spreading illness to others. Sure, people get sick, but I can do my part to not pass it on.
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Most people I know get colds and they're over them in a day or so. I get a bad cold and it knocks me to the ground and leaves me for dead for a week, plus several weeks of severe coughing after, sometimes followed by a sinus infection, so in my personal situation, I do not push myself. But that's me.

Only you know your body.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    I think the rule is - for symptoms above the neck (stuffy nose, headache, sore throat), keep on exercising as normal. For symptoms below the neck (fever, body aches, stomach ailments), rest.

This.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I usually push through, make sure I rest & if needed switch to maintenance or even a small surplus.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    I'm just getting over a cold. I took a break from the gym for a couple of days which really helped. It may be a coincidence, but this was the quickest cold recovery I've had, so I think my body just needs to rest to get better. Others like to push through - I've done that before and seemed to take forever to get better.

As I'm getting older, I also recognize how inconsiderate it is for sick people to go about their daily routine spreading illness to others. Sure, people get sick, but I can do my part to not pass it on.

As an immunosuppressed person thank you!!! People don't realize a simple illness could make us end up in the hospital or morgue!
  • Lilith200
    Lilith200 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am just now mostly getting over a head cold (continued to workout) that turned into a cough (took a week off). I was worried that it would screw up my results and hard work but was able to return to working out this week and have still managed to lose weight during my time off. That said, I may have aggravated my hamstring from attempting to do the same workouts I did prior to the week off so if you do take a few days off maybe ease back into it the first couple of times retuning to your workout routine. Feel better soon
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Rest! U do not want bronchitis. Exercising while sick only makes you sicker.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

That said, I'd probably do whatever I felt up to doing - but don't push it. Don't try to run further or faster than usual - don't try to lift heavier, that sort of thing.

Well, sort of good advice. Keeping one's heart rate in the lower zones of recovery and Zone 1 would be the better advice on the above the neck recommendation.

This article from Training Peaks is an excellent, well thought out source for the OP's question:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/the-athlete-s-survival-guide-to-the-cold-and-flu-season

Here's a snip that might best describe what to do with above the neck symptoms....

Just how sick do you have to be before holding off on training becomes the correct decision? Any illness symptoms are reason enough to avoid training hard. I am okay with my clients completing a recovery-paced training session, keeping heart rate in zone 1, if all symptoms are above the neck. These include a mild sore throat, stuffy nose and headaches. Light exercise may be helpful in this instance.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Neck up suck it up!!

Just a head cold, I get after it. Fever, body aches- things of that nature, I rest.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    abungay wrote: »
    If you have a chance of passing it on to someone, please don't. Or wipe down all your equipment if you must. Don't be the one getting others sick at the gym.

I am a outside runner and I workout in the comfort of my own home I do not feel comfortable at the gym. Also not having a car makes it a bit harder getting around, but if i do go somewhere I will keep this in mind.

I usually judge by how I'm feeling, especially if I'm tired or feeling run down. Typically, if it's in my chest I won't run and I definitely won't if I have a fever.

However, I may not be the best person to ask for this advice because I ran two races this year with a cold, one half marathon and one 5K. The half marathon was at the very start of the cold when it was simply stuffiness and I managed a PR and suffered very little during the race. I carried tissues but only used one once. The cold fully hit me the next day but I don't think it was any worse than a typical cold. In other words, I don't think running 13.1 miles with a cold made my cold worse than it might have been otherwise.

The 5K was with a chest cold and I wouldn't have done it but it was a new race and I'd promised a friend helping to organize it that I would be there. She was worried there wouldn't be enough runners at what has always been a walking event. I blew my nose and coughed through it, and my time wasn't great but I fulfilled my promise and I didn't die. I was also careful not to get too close to people and brought hand sanitizer. I don't like to be THAT person.

ETA: From reading that it sounds like I get a lot of colds but I normally get maybe one per year and I haven't had one since the 5K. 2016 was just an odd year, I guess. :smile:
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    And the cold kicked my butt, I spent the weekend in bed sleeping and didn't count my calories I gave my body what it needed. I also didn't go to my swim class becuase I didn't want anyone else to get sick. I am feeling better now and since it is a sunny day out I think I will start running again thia evening after work. Buckleys tastes awful but it works for sure, just a few sniffles left today.