Cardio vs Strength Training

Options
I was told by an employee of a GNC recently that I should not do ANY strength training (using weights or machines). She told me that I need to do cardio only until I get to my desired weight then start strength training to tone. She said that if I do strength training now I will gain muscle under the fat I have and I will look bigger and the fat will just stay there. Is this true?

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've been reading a lot lately to debunk this myth. They say to really do your body good you need a balanced mix of both cardio and weight training.

Do some googling on the topic. Lots out there on this.

PS: Here is a great article that specifically talks about things women are worried about when it comes to exercise. http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/training-articles/what-women-should-never-do-but-often-do-while-trying-to-get-in-shape-part-1-of-6/
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    Heck no, that's not true. Since you are a female, I would suggest that you do lower weights and higher reps along with your cardio.
  • inkedlala
    inkedlala Posts: 20
    Options
    Completely false.
    You may gain muscle and your weight on the scale may go up, briefly, gaining muscle increases your BMR which means even just by doing nothing you will be burning more calories. Therefor the fat will come off even faster.
    I feel it is important to do both but I prefer light strength training over cardio so that is how I base my workouts.
  • wildeone4
    wildeone4 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    The muscle will actually burn calories constantly and aid in weight loss....so i'm not sure where she is getting that from? It is super important to do both!!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Wow, and they work at GNC? Totally wrong advice! Your body does best with a good mix of cardio and strength training...circuit training is great!
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to increase your weights and switch your workouts around so you can tone more effectively.Happy lifting :)
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Not true at all. If you only do cardio, you will burn a lot of your lean body mass along with fat. You should be doing some kind of resistance training to preserve your lean body mass while you lose the fat.
  • SammieRae43
    SammieRae43 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    That's why they work at GNC and not as a personal trainer
  • shellbell1993
    shellbell1993 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That is BS...you need to do both cardio and strength training!!! Cardio combined with weights and good nutrition=success
  • 1life2live_cjg
    Options
    Check out this article. It should answer your questions.

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/
  • patrickbmurray
    patrickbmurray Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here is what I know...I have been working at weight loss and fitness training, toning, and strengthening since April. I work out twice a week with my trainer, and three other days a week on my own, I have been doing both cardio and weights each work out session. I have gained in strength, and lost 35 lbs. Sure, my weight loss may have more dramatic numbers if I hadn't gained muscle, but I would be so utterly useless without having gained muscle and increased my strength. I would likely have no stamina or ability to maintain my weight loss in the long run.
  • criscole
    criscole Posts: 4
    Options
    False information, weight programs burn calories, muscle eats fat, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Only it looks alot nicer. Look at your hand fingers splayed open and relaxed now make the tightest fist you can make it this were your thighs which look would you rather have flabby or tight? Your diet is what will leave the fat that lies over the muscle so cut the fat and do at least three days of weight training and your cardio. You will love the results!
  • millymoozie
    millymoozie Posts: 150
    Options
    i hoping to see replies to this post as im interested ,,i dont really know my stuff at all however ,i personally think that some weight training with cardio is only a good thing ,when you lose the fat there you will be nice & toned underneath ,,also i think that the comment you will look bigger does that add up ? now if you were lifting heavy weights & ripping those muscles each day like mike tyson then i guess yep your going to get bigger but my guess is your just doing some small weights & its not every day ,,i think you be ok with doing the 2 ,,ive been led to believe that doing a mix match of strength & cardio is nothing but good . good luck