Water weight: Drink 1/2 a gallon of water

Simple question: weight on scale.. number comes up. in about an hour consume half a gallon of water. weigh again. immediate water weight on scale? Does that make any sense? I hear a lot of people drink water after working out to replenish.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited October 2016
    What's your actual question? Yes, if you drink or eat anything and weigh yourself straight after you will weigh more on the scale.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    ...and if you are consuming a lot of sodium, you will retain water....
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Sure it makes sense. If you were to put a bucket on the scale, weight it, then pour a half gallon of water into it, you'd expect it to immediately weigh about four pounds more from the weight of the water.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,230 Member
    I am lost as to point of this - of course if you weigh yourself, then drink half a gallon of water then re weigh you will weigh about half gallon more.

But obviously that isnt your body weighing more and obviously that water wont stay in your body unless you are in renal failure.

and obviously your weight fluctuates over the day as food/fluid goes in and out.

That's why people suggest weighing with as many variables as possible evened out ie same time of day (whether daily or weekly or whatever) go to toilet first etc.
    and still expect slight fluctuations

what was the question again? :*
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Of course it makes sense. Water and food aren't weightless.....
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    I think..... what you mean is that you imagine drinking water will make the scale go down eventually, and that is sort of true. Drinking lots of water after a hard workout or consuming a lot of salt or even being bloated from your period can help your body "let go" of the excess it is retaining, but it's not much in at least two of those 3 cases, and it's still EVENTUALLY. It's not gonna happen in a couple hours, think more like several days of getting plenty of fluids can* have some* effect.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I weighed myself this morning and was 59.9kg. Then I took a huge dump and decided to weight myself again. I was 59.6kg.

So I lost 300g in about the 3 minutes it took for me to relive myself.

Just saying.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,057 Member
    Water weighs the same whether it is in a bottle or in your stomach (until you start to process it, of course). So yeah... any time you eat or drink anything, the weight of that thing gets added to your weight. At that point it isn't even "water weight" (which generally relates to someone retaining fluid), it's just... physics.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,997 Member
    A gallon of water weighs 8.36 lbs.

A 1/2 gallon is 1/2 of that, a qt is 1/4 of that, a pt is 1/8th of that and 1 cup is 1/16th of that.

Whatever amount of water you drink should immediately increase the scale by tbe correslonding amount. The longer you wait to weigh yourself, the lower the weight shoumd be due to respiration, perspiration, urination and/or excretion.