Food high in Iron

Options
What are foods (other than liver) that is loaded with Iron. Tired of taking Iron pills. Plus I forget to take them sometimes.

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Anemia/hic-anemia-and-iron-rich-foods

"The following foods are good sources of heme iron (from animal sources):

Chicken liver
    Oysters
    Clams
    Beef liver
    Beef (chuck roast, lean ground beef)
    Turkey leg
    Tuna
    Eggs
    Shrimp
    Leg of lamb
    The following foods are good sources of nonheme iron (from plants):

Raisin bran (enriched)
    Instant oatmeal
    Beans (kidney, lima, Navy)
    Tofu
    Lentils
    Molasses
    Spinach
    Whole wheat bread
    Peanut butter
    Brown rice
    Try to combine nonheme iron foods with vitamin C (for example, a glass of orange juice) to increase absorption of iron."

In my experience, non-heme iron has an incredibly poor absorption rate. In addition to taking these foods with vitamin C, iron should not be taken around the same time as calcium as it inhibits absorption.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Kale and greens.
  • littlechiaseed
    littlechiaseed Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Beans, tempeh, greens, chickpeas, brown rice, tofu....I'm vegetarian and don't eat eggs and my iron was perfect last time I went to the doc...but I don't have iron absorption issues. You might have to check with your doctor if it's safe for you to stop taking iron pills.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wheat Chex give 80% iron per serving.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    If you're like me, pills do very little good (and they tend to um...constipate) and I generally don't like iron rich foods...so I take Floradix. It's a liquid Iron supplement. Tastes like apple juice. You can get it at any health food store.
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    http://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases_conditions/hic_Anemia/hic-anemia-and-iron-rich-foods

In my experience, non-heme iron has an incredibly poor absorption rate. In addition to taking these foods with vitamin C, iron should not be taken around the same time as calcium as it inhibits absorption.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know about the conflict between Iron and Calcium. Still, vitamin companies continue to combine the two in almost equal amounts

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »

You'd be surprised how many people don't know about the conflict between Iron and Calcium. Still, vitamin companies continue to combine the two in almost equal amounts

yep. :(
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    AprilCoe wrote: »

And caffeine
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

Only via 'fortification'. I assume when food manufacturers are adding iron to a food they use the cheapest form available. I take a supplement so I can control form. I tried 5 or 6 different forms of iron before I found one that actually worked to get my ferritin and energy levels up.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Msldy76 wrote: »
    What are foods (other than liver) that is loaded with Iron. Tired of taking Iron pills. Plus I forget to take them sometimes.

I have no unpleasant side effects from Iron Bisglycinate, which I take first thing in the AM with a teaspoon each of blackstrap molasses and powdered vitamin C stirred into warm water.

My new favorite high iron food is Wellshire Farms Pork Liverwurst. I eat 6 oz of it during the heavy days of my period.

49c4c25f699d6a1c8d39bbbf8ae05f4c.png

I believe this brand is only available at Whole Foods.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    When you see % iron on packaging, they are talking % of Recommended Daily Amount (RDA). This recommendation is for average people without a deficiency.

When a patient is put on iron pills the therapeutic dosage is many times greater than the RDA. So even if you get to 100% RDA every day, you are still taking in far less than what the pill offers.

It is very hard to recover from an iron deficiency from food alone.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When you see % iron on packaging, they are talking % of Recommended Daily Amount (RDA). This recommendation is for average people without a deficiency.

When a patient is put on iron pills the therapeutic dosage is many times greater than the RDA. So even if you get to 100% RDA every day, you are still taking in far less than what the pill offers.

It is very hard to recover from an iron deficiency from food alone.

Yes, my supplement is 139% of the RDA. I take two per day during the week of my period and one per day the rest of the month. Despite that and eating foods high in iron, my levels are only Low Normal. I get tested yearly and despite having been anemic for decades have to ask for this test as they do not perform it automatically.
  • Msldy76
    Msldy76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You all have provided great feedback... thank you so much
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Only via 'fortification'. I assume when food manufacturers are adding iron to a food they use the cheapest form available. I take a supplement so I can control form. I tried 5 or 6 different forms of iron before I found one that actually worked to get my ferritin and energy levels up.

Good to know fortified foods don't work. Silly me didn't realize only foods with "natural" iron counted.

OP asked for suggestions and I gave one. Be glad it wasn't Honey Nut Cheerios.
  • aprilzabeth
    aprilzabeth Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Going to add Total Cereal and Malt O Meal.