Muscle soreness after working out

Options
I've just started doing the nerd fitness beginners programme and am still sore (in my thighs)2 days later - I suspect the lunges as its a new move for me. I'm talking, it hurts to go up and down stairs! I'm not complaining but want to know, do I wait for the soreness to go before I repeat it? I really want to aim to do it on alternate days so was planning on doing it today but those thigh muscles are still hurting -quite a lot!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2016
    Options
    DOMS is something that can last for a few days, especially if you are very new to a program or don't have a lot of exercise prior. I would recommend pushing through but potentially do a longer warm up and stretch a bit more. You may want to mess with some meal timing a some point to see if that helps. Post workout meals with some protein + carbs may help reduce muscle soreness and aid in recovery. Higher levels of eletrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, chloride, calcium) can also be beneficial and reduce any cramping.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    DOMS is something that can last for a few days, especially if you are very new to a program or don't have a lot of exercise prior. I would recommend pushing through but potentially do a longer warm up and stretch a bit more. You may want to mess with some meal timing a some point to see if that helps. Post workout meals with some protein + carbs may help reduce muscle soreness and aid in recovery. Higher levels of eletrolytes (sodium, potassium, magnesium, chloride, calcium) can also be beneficial and reduce any cramping.

Thank you! In the end that's what I did - a longer warm up, stretching afterwards and a high protein and carb snack. And it feels much better.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Take couple Motrin.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Take couple Motrin.

Is that an anti inflammatory?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Take couple Motrin.

Is that an anti inflammatory?

yes
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Ah. Sadly I can't take anti inflammatory meds - thank you anyway :smile:
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    @comptonelizabeth just wondering if you did all three sets.
    Curiosity, that's all as I did Nerdfitness at the same age.
    I just did 1 set with modified planks and worked my way to 3 sets and the full plank.
    I just love that programme (as much as I love any exercise) it travels so well.

Just as an FYI I liked HasFit beginners weight lifting programme too. Not heavy, but goes well with the bodyweight.

Sorry about the DOMS, they will pass, keep the muscles lightly active on your off days.

Cheers, h.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    @comptonelizabeth just wondering if you did all three sets.
    Curiosity, that's all as I did Nerdfitness at the same age.
    I just did 1 set with modified planks and worked my way to 3 sets and the full plank.
    I just love that programme (as much as I love any exercise) it travels so well.

Just as an FYI I liked HasFit beginners weight lifting programme too. Not heavy, but goes well with the bodyweight.

Sorry about the DOMS, they will pass, keep the muscles lightly active on your off days.

Cheers, h.

I did all 3 sets but left out the scissor jumps (I have lower back and joint problems and know those aren't great for me)- I did extra squats instead.
    I'm OK with full plank but have to rest my knees on the ground to do push ups! Muscle soreness much improved today - I can go up and downstairs without yelping :wink:
  • aown61
    aown61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Treasure the muscle soreness, after a while it fades to hardly anything
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    aown61 wrote: »
    Treasure the muscle soreness, after a while it fades to hardly anything

I'm ok with that! :D

• sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing the nerd fitness beginners programme and am still sore (in my thighs)2 days later - I suspect the lunges as its a new move for me. I'm talking, it hurts to go up and down stairs! I'm not complaining but want to know, do I wait for the soreness to go before I repeat it? I really want to aim to do it on alternate days so was planning on doing it today but those thigh muscles are still hurting -quite a lot!

I personally prefer to wait till the soreness has disappeared completely before hitting it again. I think going in fresh leads to better sessions :)
  • MsRuffBuffNStuff
    MsRuffBuffNStuff Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Wait until they feel good then hit them again...always be a little sore ;-)
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yup definitely do not take Motrin. It's an nsaid (just fyi op has the same disease as I do and nsaid are way off limits)
  • Anvil_Head
    Anvil_Head Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work through DOMS unless it's absolutely crippling. I find that the additional workout gets things loosened up and helps dissipate it sooner.

Don't worry - as your body adapts to the workouts, the DOMS will go away completely (or almost completely). Shouldn't take more than a couple weeks.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    Thanks all - I went ahead and it seemed to help. Think if I'd waited until the soreness had gone,I'd still be waiting!
    And yes,nsaids are a definite no no for me,as I've discovered to my cost :(
  • Guitarman1994
    Guitarman1994 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Agree with sskly48. Wait til it goes away for the most oart. You will get a much better workout in. You need to let those muscles recoup.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    If I'm still overly sore in a particular muscle group on the my next strength day, I still train, I just work a different muscle group.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    At my age (54) I start very light and build slowly to avoid injury. This also means no soreness. I am in no hurry so there is time to do it that way. I adopted this strategy after a rotator cuff injury reduced me to running only for more than a year.
  • Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A heating pad can help too
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I did find a heat pad helped
    rsclause wrote: »
    At my age (54) I start very light and build slowly to avoid injury. This also means no soreness. I am in no hurry so there is time to do it that way. I adopted this strategy after a rotator cuff injury reduced me to running only for more than a year.

Thank you - I'm 61 and have been pretty inactive due to illness and, 2 years ago, a fractured shoulder which took a long time to heal. You're right, there's no hurry :smile: