Help! Change body comp without affecting lean muscle?

Options
Tips or tricks for deacresing BFP?

Replies

• KristinHR01
    KristinHR01 Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Eat at a deficit. Eat a lot of protein. Lift heavy weights.

Read the book "Thinner Leaner Stronger" by Michael Matthews.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Another vote for heavy lifting. It seems to be the biggest bang for your buck compared to any other method I've ever heard of. (some of them were complete woo, others legit, but still heavy lifting wins)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Another vote for heavy lifting, more specifically progressive heavy lifting and around .6g of protein per pound of body weight.
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others are saying, but maybe in a bit more detail.
    The most important is to create the caloric deficit, and set the weight loss to something tolerable at first, like 1 lb/week. If you go too fast you'll be pretty miserable trying to adapt to such a sudden change. (speaking from my experience).

Protein intake works well for me at around 1g/ lb bodyweight. I have tried going lower, 0.7-0.8g, but I lost muscle in a matter of 2 months. Of course this depends highly on how you train. The more you train, the more protein you need. I train 5-6 times a week. I know some who get away with 0.8g and they train 3 times a week.

Heavy lifting is definitely good - specifically in the 6-8 rep range. For me, I see it as you telling the body that you still need the muscle, so it won't use it for energy (since you're in a deficit). Pretty crucial in muscle retention imo
  • diva_dollface
    diva_dollface Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So losing your gut and yet toning and building other areas what are the suggestions concerning lifting and cardio?