Don't know how many calories to eat now...

Options
So 2 weeks ago, I gave calorie shifting/zig-zagging a try to break through my plateau. I lost 2.8 pounds, so this week I happily continued with the calorie zig-zagging. I gained 1.4 pounds. I'm not sure what to do now. I've only eaten 700 calories today because I haven't had much of an appetite. But now it's dinner time, and I guess I'm getting a bit hungry. Yet, I just don't know how much I should eat tonight or if I should even eat at all... I'm lost. 1200 cals? 1300? 1400? 1500? I just don't know anymore. I'm so very discouraged; I'm pretty much ready to stop eating all together.

Replies

• szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I think you should pick a calorie range (say 1500) stick with it for a week, see how it goes and go from there
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Sounds like you need a boost..If I was you losing all you have and wandering about in a zig zag I would eat what I felt like eating tonight without worrying...(Obviously I am not saying gulp down a chocolate cake..lol) But after 134lbs lost you know what a sensible yet good meal can be..so enjoy and start with the figures again tomorrow!!
    And WOW you are amazing!!!
  • dlafarga
    dlafarga Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    700 calories is much too little. I understand you might wanna zig zag to get through your plateau. Get atleast 1000 calories in your system. Eat some carrots and celery and some fruit. Have a pb&j sandwich with milk. Anything to give your more nutrition for today. And to keep your metabolism going. Don't stop at 700 though! That is not healthy. Your body is telling you it needs a bit more. Fuel it up. :)
    Good luck!
  • reginari
    reginari Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

Don't be discouraged. You should eat the lower calories that you were eating last week even though you gained. Your body probably had to rebalance. I admire the fact that you have lost so much weight. I am at your starting point and you have done an amazing job. Don't lose hope.

Regina
  • lauradupree
    Options
    It sounds like you might be starving yourself. If you are, your body will go into starvation mode--metabolism slows down, and you quit losing weight. If you are exercising, changing your routine can be helpful. Do different exercises so that you work different muscle groups. Sometimes this is all it takes to break the plateau. I agree with szczepj; choose a calorie range, of at least 1200, and stick with it for a week; see how it goes. On occasion, I have given myself a guilt-free day when I have plateaued for a few weeks. If you have been really good about recording everything, and staying below your caloric daily allotment, a guilt-free day can be good. Your body thinks you aren't starving it, and it can lead to weight loss. For me, guilt-free means eating an extra 300 or 400 calories more than your daily allotment; don't go overboard on the calories though. Also, I don't recommend doing this more than once a month.
    Do not punish yourself! You are an amazing example of what hard work and dedication can do. Keep up the good work!