Getting Serious

Options
I haven't had much success over the past couple of weeks (I can probably safely blame the beer), even though I have been close to my goal on most days. I currently have it set to 2 lb / week, but even though I haven't quite hit that mark on average I haven't actually been losing weight at all. I clearly need to be cooking more often.

I suspect if I become a more active participant I might do a little bit better at actually staying closer to the goal. So, I thought I'd introduce myself.

My name is John, and I'm in my mid-thirties and in Northern Illinois trying to lose about 20 lbs (from 210 to 190 at 6'0). I run most days, although I've only recently begun tracking EVERY run. I am currently at 17 miles per week, and am thinking about taking that to 20 lbs a week for awhile and see where I want to go from there.

I also lift 3x a week, although I don't track that on here. I mostly focus on Squat, Deadlift, Bench, and Press with some ancillary work as well. I'm by no means close to where I want to be strengthwise, and I recognize that for the short term I'm going to have to accept that I'm probably not going to get much closer. Once I get down to 190 I can re-focus on that.

Outside of the relevant fitness information, I'm an engineer and Navy veteran who likes baseball, pub quiz, craft beer, and horror movies. I think that's the standard issue interests for most guys my age.

Replies

• aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Cooking more will definitely help. If you are in a net deficit and are still not losing, you might be eating more calories than you intend. Maybe a scale (and home cooking) will do the trick! You can do it!
  • Hoveringsock
    Hoveringsock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate that. You're right I probably am eating more than I intend. I do weigh the food I prepare myself, but I've been slipping a lot lately. If you couple that with avoiding chain restaurants and it becomes a guessing game. I did make four dinners and freeze three tonight, though! I'll try to do another four or five this weekend, too.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Great job! Baby steps!
  • mandi1020
    mandi1020 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Welcome! MFP has some good recipe ideas, if you need or want them (some might even pair well with craft beer, if you're so inclined). I'm jealous of your running mileage; I ran a marathon once and looking back on it, I have no effing clue how.

Anyway, it's all diligence and motivation with a bit of frustration and backtracking (I mean, sometimes, you just wanna sit on the couch with some terrible comfort food). You sound like you have a pretty decent base. It'll get easier, even if it comes slower.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. Have a great day!
  • Hoveringsock
    Hoveringsock Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm debating training for a marathon next year. We'll see what the Spring holds.