low cal high Protein food choices for non vegetarians

Options
I looked through a lot of the topics and did not see this one in the last several pages.

I have upped my protein percentage to 35% (which is about 1 per kg for me but now I am having trouble meeting that goal.,.without going over on fat or cals. Not a big fan of egg whites--we raise our own chickens and I hate to waste the yolk...silly I know...so IDEAS:smooched: PLEASE

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Quinoa, greek yogurt, cheese, protein shakes
  • michaelsdavies
    michaelsdavies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Tuna, Tuna, Tuna, Tuna & Tuna.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eggs, and eat the yolks. There is no point in wasting them. A whole egg is only 70 cals and very good for you!
  • altitudedistract
    Options
    tuna is meat..
    Hummus!
  • daryna13
    daryna13 Posts: 30
    Options
    Beans, nuts, yogurt, skim milk, low-fat cottage cheese, and fish.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Eggs are a good way to go, perhaps try doing 3 Egg Whites and one Whole Egg for taste?

Really, to get high protein without fat , Egg Whites, or protein shakes (selective ones) are the only ways to go, however, maybe you can moderate things like nuts, which are also high in Protein, but have fat. Non-animal fats are really not bad for you in moderation.

Edit:
    Right, Beans. I forgot beans, they are high in protein and fiber. I only have them in moderation because they also have plenty of carbs.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

Canned?! No No No No and No. Be VERY VERY careful with tuna. Tuna has very high mercury content and is dangerous. Especially for women and especially if you're in your child bearing years. My mom is a bodybuilder and used to eat a can of tuna a day and she ended up with mercury poisoning.
    Her doctor told her to switch to canned salmon instead and she is better now. Please DO NOT over eat canned tuna!! Limit yourself to no more than 3 cans per week!
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Canned?! No No No No and No. Be VERY VERY careful with tuna. Tuna has very high mercury content and is dangerous. Especially for women and especially if you're in your child bearing years. My mom is a bodybuilder and used to eat a can of tuna a day and she ended up with mercury poisoning.
    Her doctor told her to switch to canned salmon instead and she is better now. Please DO NOT over eat canned tuna!! Limit yourself to no more than 3 cans per week!

since you brought it up--ya--I dont really do a lot of tuna....my husband would prefer I do NONE--mercury poisoning is very real and very prevalant, but way underdiagnosed.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options

i have so quinoa--think I will fix that tonight--I do protein shakes but they seem to be pretty caloric-do you have some ideas that dont have artificial sweetners that arent 300+ cals???
  • kellykaye_xo
    kellykaye_xo Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey Ronda - I like using whey protein (Natural Factors 100% whey protein) + nonsweetened almond milk (or you could use reg milk) + berries for a yummy high protein shake. Total of about 165 calories. I get the whey protein at a health food store. The kicker is using pure whey protein that doesn't have all the additives to keep the calories low. It also has about 17 grams protein a serving and minimal fat.

i have so quinoa--think I will fix that tonight--I do protein shakes but they seem to be pretty caloric-do you have some ideas that dont have artificial sweetners that arent 300+ cals???
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Some of these have been mentioned already but I think they're worth mentioning again!

Tuna, salmon, tilapia - basically any fish
    Chicken
    Greek Yogurt
    Cottage Cheese
    La Tortilla Factory Low Carb/High Fiber Whole Wheat Tortillas (the large ones are 80 cals and have 8g protein...good option instead of a regular sandwich)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    My protein powder only has 110-120 calories (depending which one I use) they both have 1-2 fat, 1 carb and 24-25 protein.

They can mix with water, milk or juice, but even with juice they are only 200 cal, with almond milk 150ish.

I think you need a new protein powder if yours is 300+ calories!!