jogging: how do you keep pace in a race without headphones &

Options
elizamc
elizamc Posts: 285 Member
My first 5k race is on wednesday, I read a very helpful article about your first race, what to expect etc. But I hadn't realised that I might not be able to run without headphones. I was counting on listening to music to help keep pace & push me on - haven't practised or learned to pace myself without music :-(

Any tips please?

Just last week I was thinking about running without music and would I manage: I teach relaxation and always encourage people to learn without music on the basis that if there's no music relaxing can be hard. Now here I am stuck!

Many thanks!

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    they dont let you listen to music while you run the 5k?
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I always wear my headphones for a 5k/10k!!
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I ran a cross country relay and was very disappointed to find that I was not allowed to listen to music while I ran. It was for safety reason since I was running on open road. Check with race officials to see if you could keep one ear bud in and one ear bud free so that you would still be able to hear your surroundings. If they tell you no you can get watches that help you keep your pace.

Good luck on the run! :)
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Some races are now asking participants to not use headphones (especially those who may encounter road traffic)

For keeping pace, I use a Garmin GPS watch that tells me how fast I am going. If you don't have one, You can usually find people with them who may be looking at a specific pace and run along with them.
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I used to always listen to music while running, but after I got an ipod touch as a present, I didn't have an armband for it, so I just stopped running with music. Now I really enjoy listening to my footsteps and breath as I run. This can be a good indicator of effort, along with heart rate. You can pay attention to breath, cadence and heartrate on a tempo run before the race, then try to mimic that during the race.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Leave the headphones at home people. Talk to other runners and enjoy the whole experience!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yes, leave the headphones at home. Talk to other runners, listen to the birds, your breathing, etc. As far as keeping pace: You should practice your race pace at least once a week at short distances. If you want to hit 24 minutes, for example, you have to practice running 7:45/mile.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Without music, I just get songs stuck in my head.

We Will Rock You fits perfectly to my breathing pattern. And Scotland the Brave makes me happy. I saw a video on YouTube where a pipe & drum band did a mashup of the two, and that's what gets songplanted now. :laugh:
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Without music, i just use my breathing and garmin watch to keep pace. I get into my normal running groove and just keep going. I glance at my watch every now and then to make sure I am on pace for whatever goal I am shooting for.
  • jesusGuerrero12
    Options
    Ay its all good man, If you can't use headphones, don't worry just stay relaxed and concentrate on what your doing! And no matter what happens don't stop runnin :D

Best of luck!
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot for your suggestions folks! it was shock to find out that I might not be able to use headphones so I really appreciate your suggestions.

I'll see if I can away with it this time - if I have to be secretive I will, then once this race is done I must research some runners watches and get running without music (sometimes!).

Any suggestions on Garmins? And are they better than Polars for runners?
  • mushroom17
    mushroom17 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    UK races often say on the website that you can't wear headphones. I've done a fair number of races and have never ever ever seen this enforced. They may care if your likely to be winning the race but (I'm assuming!) your not, so take them if you use them and if you want them.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Also, I usually listen to Pandora Radio on my Android phone.. I don't need headphones to hear the music, so when I'm running with other people, I put on Pandora, and we all can hear it!
  • jjhenry5
    jjhenry5 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    In my experience, once you start running without music, you'll actually get much more in tune with your body and what it is doing. I do use a Garmin, but I actually don't have to look at it all that much. I pretty much have a good feel for what pace I'm at by checking in on myself, noting cadence, breathing, etc. Especially at the end of longer runs I like to check in on myself every minute or so making sure my form is not falling apart, see how all the muscles are doing, gauge my hydration and glucose levels, etc.

With that said however, I've done enough of the Rock N' Roll events to understand how powerful it is when you come up to the next band and the music helps kick you into the next gear and provides a little go juice.
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    When I started running headphones were essential - it was the music which motivated me...

I've gradually gotten less and less interested in wearing them. They are fine when doing steady state stuff - especially in the gym - but when I'm running with other people, or even outside on my own when the sun is out and the are people and birds and the wind in the trees.. just don't need or want them.

Racing - definitely better off without.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    For those who do want to run with (in training or races where allowed) Auria Exceed headphones are pretty kick *kitten*. They fit snugly into your ear and allow ambient noise without compromising your music listening. I can wear these, hear my breathing, feet, everything around me, carry on a conversation etc just like I was wearing nothing.

http://www.auria.com/products/category/Earphones/1/16/Exceed
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I go by my HRM, I know what pace works best for me based on my heart beat per minute. Otherwise I listen to my music via my phone w/o headphones as background music for the kiddo in the stroller, I run on roads, canals and areas where there's other foot traffic and I'd rather hear someone coming up behind me so I can move over or be aware of my surroundings better.