New to Strength Training

Options
Zarka_91
Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
edited October 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello all ,

i have decided to incorporate some strength training 3x a week into my workouts. as i am new to it all i know i have to ease into it. what weights should i start of with ? i workout at home so dont have much weights but will buy some this weekend.

should i start of with low or high reps? would it be better to train legs, abs, arms on different days?

what sort of exercises should i do?

my height is 5 1, and weight 135lbs, the highest its ever been is 145lbs and lowest 105lbs. i just cant get it to shift anymore then 135lbs so i know i have to start strength training as ive never done it before.

any help would be appreciated

thanks in advance !

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I would recommend a plan. I hear good things about Strong Lifts 5x5, although I've not tried it.
  • sskly48
    sskly48 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's a rather difficult thing to say in these forums, as it's very long.
    If you're working out at home perhaps you could try one of BeachBody's programs. They're easy to follow and require very little equipment.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you#latest

Find a program that fits your goals and schedule.

Don't make stuff up on the spot - go with the established program.

You get more out of compound lifts that work multiple body parts rather than a split - especially since you are new to this.

You may see the scale go up at first - that is water retention and generally goes away if you keep your nutrition in tact.

Watch form videos to get the technique down. Start with a light weight and work on form - don't let your ego get the best of you.

Enjoy!
  • Guitarman1994
    Guitarman1994 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would start off with low weight and high reps to get started. Going to take your muscles awhile to adjust. Would definitely have a leg day, maybe bicep/abs, shoulders/triceps, and chest. Do all at least once a week. OK to incorporate abs a few times a week. They recuperate faster but you will use them with a lot of other lifts. Make sure to eat a good amount of protein too. After you're used to it all you can either do more weight/lower reps or lower weight and go to failure. Whatever works for you... you will get the same results!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    For a novice a three day a week, whole body program starting with a conditioning phase of moderate reps and lower weight would be the best thing. The first thing you really need to do is get your body working and used to be under the weight and moving in a coordinated manner. After a few months then you'll have a better idea of what you want to do in terms of splits etc.
  • Zarka_91
    Zarka_91 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions !

i will definitely look into a beginners plan. i dont plan on injuring myself so will start with light weights :).

im eating a lot of protein already. should i increase the grams due to strength training?
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    zarkaahmed wrote: »

i will definitely look into a beginners plan. i dont plan on injuring myself so will start with light weights :).

im eating a lot of protein already. should i increase the grams due to strength training?

How much (in grams) are you getting on average?
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    A 3 day a week split is great. You can have a form of a squat, a pull, and a push. A program that makes sense is called starting strength. It is similar to the 5x5 listed above. If I could do it all over again I would do that one. Of course the best workout is the one you will do.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    zarkaahmed wrote: »

It's doubtful you would have to increase if you are already over .6g/lb body weight in protein consumption in reality but feel free to up it if you like since it won't hurt.

• roamingtiger
    roamingtiger Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    There are many plans you can Google to get you started :)
  • beast4938
    beast4938 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    5by5 is a hype rather follow doren Yates method 2 sets max rep
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I'm doing You Are Your Own Gym and I love it. Week 4 of 10 and I can really feel the difference. So far, all I need is a chair or two here or there, a table, a door and my floor. Frankly, at 160lbs, that's plenty for me to lift. It's really challenging, but doable. FWIW, the 10 week program is 4 days/ week.