Do protein bars help curve you appetite?

Options
Hello!

I recently read in a protein bar box that they help curve your appetite, is this true?
I'm including them as a snack currenlty, and I will like to eat them before working out, but I was also wondering which is a better option, energy bars or protein bars?

Thanks!

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein does help keep you fuller longer. Works best with fiber and water.

Protein bars should be about 200 calories, 17 grams or more of protein, no more than 6 gr of fat and watch the sugar too.

I have Pure Protein bars in my desk and have one on occassion especially if dinner is going to be late.

Best of Luck!
  • jaymark
    jaymark Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use them about once a week for meal substitutes
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    They don't curve my appetite, but sometimes they curb my appetite. Pure Protein is pretty decent, but I don't eat them all the time.
  • angechilada
    angechilada Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Quest Protein Bars are the bomb. They have around 18g of fiber each (depending on the flavor), 20g of protein, and 4–6 net carbs. And no sugar alcohols. They taste sooooo good. My favorite flavor is either the mixed berry bliss or the chocolate fudge. SO AMAZING.
  • sweetad
    sweetad Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like the pure protein bars...great source of protein, esp since I eat very vegetarian and have issues getting enough protein. Protein does help curb app. You feel full longer.
  • alischaid
    alischaid Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I find the more protein I take in, the longer I am satisfied. I eat a protein bar every morning. I eat either Pure Protein and Met-Rx bars.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    They don't curve my appetite, but sometimes they curb my appetite. Pure Protein is pretty decent, but I don't eat them all the time.

Same. Though I don't like that they contain three sources of protein, one of which is animal collagen! :ohwell:
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Careful..sometimes protein bars are just glorified Snickers bars with some protein dust..
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I recently read in a protein bar box that they help curve your appetite, is this true?
    I'm including them as a snack currenlty, and I will like to eat them before working out, but I was also wondering which is a better option, energy bars or protein bars?

Thanks!

**Be careful and read the Nutrition Facts VERY carefully.** Many of those bars are no better than a Snickers bar, you're definitely better off having a whole food source for protein, carbs, and fat. Things like FiniBar (from Biotest) are great for workout Nutrition but again many are nothing more than over priced candy bars with added protein.
  • jwil1231
    jwil1231 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've used several and believe in them. I just read the rules to being on here a few minutes ago and can't recall if I'm allowed to call them by name-which I'll have to check out in a minute. Anyway, I have used protein bars, usually around 200 calories and the more protein the better. I've enjoyed them for snacks and meal replacements. Generally, I like to keep a box of them on hand for my moments when hunger hits, or pre-hunger or my moments when I've got to get something in my mouth. :laugh: Those time could be related to frustration or stress. One reason I really like them is because I am doing something good for myself instead of grabbing a candy bar, etc.. O' and thinking about it, there are some that are about 240 calories, like for when you're biking and hiking and they are excellant. Look and check out that they may state, low glycemic index.
  • MColette
    MColette Posts: 62
    Options
    Sorry for the spelling heehee
    English is not my native language :)
    Thanks for the tips, I learned 2 things today, a good protein bar to consider and how to spell curb :D
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I learned 2 things today, a good protein bar to consider and how to spell curb :D

That's okay! :smile:

Just be careful of the sugar... some of them have 30g or more, which is the same as a chocolate bar!! Look at the carbs, sugar, and calorie content. The LAST thing you want is a 350 calorie bar with 30g carbs and 35g sugar - dieting disaster!! :sad:
  • JNick77
    Options

That's okay! :smile:

Just be careful of the sugar... some of them have 30g or more, which is the same as a chocolate bar!! Look at the carbs, sugar, and calorie content. The LAST thing you want is a 350 calorie bar with 30g carbs and 35g sugar - dieting disaster!! :sad:

Yup, some are literally worse than a Snicker's bar.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it depends on how your body processes things. For me most brands have too much sugar which just makes me ravenous. I prefer a tablespoon of peanut butter ate a handful of pecans.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    absolutely not for me. I will choose a whey shake with water of about 400ml usually over a protein bar for satiety any day of the week. Equal cals too.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Honestly, I think it depends on how your body processes things. For me most brands have too much sugar which just makes me ravenous. I prefer a tablespoon of peanut butter ate a handful of pecans.

It has little to do with individual differences. Weak high glycemic sugar has a negative response on one's insulin response, not a preference issue. Some people are more carb sensitive than others and that just means their response is worse to carbs in general. There are some decent protein bars but not many. I don't mean this jokingly, if you pick up a protein bar and the nutritional facts are similar to a candy bar, avoid it like the plague.
    absolutely not for me. I will choose a whey shake with water of about 400ml usually over a protein bar for satiety any day of the week. Equal cals too.

I agree, quality protein shakes are typically better than the bars. If you need a quick snack or meal replacement and 7-11 or a convienience store is your only option, then pick a Muscle Milk or EAS ready made shake over the protein bars.
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Quality shakes might be better immediately after a workout, but quality real food trumps all! Try some chicken people! :) Grilled kebabs anyone? YUM!
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Umm maybe I am missing something, but if some people are more sensitive to carbs in general, wouldn't that mean it was individually a matter of how your body processes them?
  • shifthappens2011
    Options
    Umm maybe I am missing something, but if some people are more sensitive to carbs in general, wouldn't that mean it was individually a matter of how your body processes them?

:smile: I was thinking this as I read your response.

I'm not shooting for perfect but I am shooting for convenience and ease in my weight loss journey. Because if it's perfect but difficult and inconvenient, it won't work. I am spinning too many plates in life to add another giant one. And even if protein bars aren't perfect, they are tons better than what I was having before I switched to them! So I use them for convenience. I agree you need to read the label. I actually have a little excel sheet I populate to decide if it's worth the bang for the buck. I guage calories, protein (and check the source), carbs, sugars and cost.

They aren't that expensive and are usually sold individually. If they don't work for you, try something else. Most of us are in this for the long haul.