Are the MyFitnessPal calorie and weight projections actually accurate?

Options
I'm on a 1200 calorie plan. I am 55 calories over that in food for the day. Before I added the food that put me over, it was saying in 5 weeks I'd weigh 146 lbs (down from 155). After adding the food (gluten free animal cookies) it projected my weight in 5 weeks as 150 lbs. That seems a little high for consuming only 1255 calories.... Any thoughts?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    If you eat the same exact way every day, yes.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Those predictions are not really that accurate overall. Most people are so inaccurate with counting calories that it ends up being less.
  • patpatepat
    patpatepat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, dear!

I don't know if I understood well your point, but let's try..

First point is to remember that to lose or gain weight is not related only with calories, it's a combination between carbs, protein, fat.. if you eat 1255 calories with a high percent of fat, probably your weight will increase more than if you balance carbs, protein and fat, for example.

Second is to take care about the food in Mfp's system you choose to include in your diary, some values are not that accurate, I've been noticing since the beginning that some people upload just the calories of the food, not the other values (like carbs, protein..).

And for the last, take care about eat less than you need of each group of nutrition, it can slow down your metabolism and make you lose less weight than you want (:

Anyway, to eat healthy is a challenge, 1200 calories is a small value, but not impossible. Just search about low calories and healthy recipes and have fun building your meals!

The secret is to balance! ;)

Good luck, hope I had helped!

kiss, pat.
  • aliem
    aliem Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I agree. That does not seem right. That's less than 2000 calories over 5 weeks (55 calories*7 days*5 weeks). That's not 4 pounds. However, I have not found the you will weigh X amount in 5 weeks very accurate. It is an estimate and probably the least accurate of the estimates on the site. It can't factor in water weight, muscle or fat gain/loss. In general, it takes a net loss of 3500 calories to lose a pound. But if you eat less salty foods, you might retain less water and see a huge loss. Alternatively, you could work out a bunch and gain some muscle, which weighs more than fat. So you would see less loss on the scale, but more loss in inches. Bodies are complicated. If you are eating in a deficit, you will get there eventually.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I went and got my base metabolic rate tested, and it was 200kcal per day lower than MFP thought it would be. So I just recalibrated my daily goals. I need to drop fat and not weight, at this point. So I'm working things differently now.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes when you added that last bit of calories for the day, that 5 week projection went down as in 5 weeks essentially those extra calories would add up and equal less of loss than planed.

That 5 week thing -- not accurate at all.
  • Blondieee00
    Blondieee00 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Wildly inaccurate for me... It says I won't even lose 5 lbs until november...and I'm more or less on a track to lose 3lbs per week... It doesn't realize for the 1200 calorie suggestion that some people just naturally burn way more calories than others...I'm taller than 95% of women at 5'9" and so I burn more. I also have well under 20% bf which puts my burn much higher... I just use the website here as a tool..but I definitely don't strictly follow it. I seem to be doing okay :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Five weeks ago my food diary ended with promising I'd weigh 183.6 today. Today I actually weigh 193.2. So, no.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It's a projection based on how many calories you ate at the time you press the button compared to how many MFP thinks you burn.

It's not accurate at all.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    For me personally I don't find MFPs calorie recommendation to be accurate in itself, let alone their projections. Now that I'm back in a short weight loss period I entered my stats here and it put me at 1,200 calories before exercise, for a 1lb week loss. Another site put me at 1,389 calories before exercise, for 1lb loss. I'm following the other site's calorie recommendation and I'm down 1.5lbs this week (with exercise factored in I'm eating around 1,500 calories). I'm going to stick with the higher calories :)
  • linda45ll837h
    linda45ll837h Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am 69 and eating 1200 cal a day walk 1mile in 22 mintues once a day is that enough calories for me to lose weight. trying fitness pal because i can not afford weightwatchers anymore please suggest
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I know those numbers are off but just seeing them help. A gain tells me to stop playing around. A good loss tells me I'm doing something right.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    the projection isn't real accurate, sometime i lose more, sometime i lose less, but i'm loosing!
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It's as accurate as your logging. ;)
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Forget about the "in x amount of weeks you'll be this" do you really thing an app can accurately calculate such feats with pin point precision? Not to sound like I'm going on a rant but my advice would be to just eat at the calorie count you've set up, use http://www.iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ if you don't trust mfp, and just watch the weight drop weekly without buying into what the app says you'll lose in x amount of weeks. It's less hassle.
  • duddysdad
    duddysdad Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Not really. I always lose much faster than what it projects. I think I have a medical problem, because I can eat at a 1k daily deficit and lose 3-4 pounds per week consistently. I suspect an over-active thyroid, but my insurance will only pay for blood work every six months so it will be a while before I know.
  • JDixon852019
    JDixon852019 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Don't put a lot of stock in the projections. Some weeks your body is going to fight you.