Can you go from hating running to enjoying it?

Options
I have always looked a bit enviously at people running and wished that I could do that. However, I've never liked it. Every time I've given it a go I hurt and end up jogging at a pace that most people could walk at. Not very encouraging! Now that I'm even more overweight I am wondering about it again after reading about all the couch 2 5K success stories. Does everyone start to enjoy it at a certain point, or is always unpleasant if you are moving a huge mass around?

I can't walk fast - I get sharp pains in the fronts of my ankles. So I have to go uphill which doesn't hurt as much, but I think jogging also doesn't hurt as much, but then it's not like I do much to know for sure.

So should I try to give running yet another go or stick with what doesn't hurt and I enjoy (gym cardio, bike, walking up hills)?

Replies

• osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have always looked a bit enviously at people running and wished that I could do that. However, I've never liked it. Every time I've given it a go I hurt and end up jogging at a pace that most people could walk at. Not very encouraging! Now that I'm even more overweight I am wondering about it again after reading about all the couch 2 5K success stories. Does everyone start to enjoy it at a certain point, or is always unpleasant if you are moving a huge mass around?

I can't walk fast - I get sharp pains in the fronts of my ankles. So I have to go uphill which doesn't hurt as much, but I think jogging also doesn't hurt as much, but then it's not like I do much to know for sure.

So should I try to give running yet another go or stick with what doesn't hurt and I enjoy (gym cardio, bike, walking up hills)?
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    My kinesiology teachers always say do what you love! There is no "best cardio." If you really hate it then stick to stuff you like at the gym. Running is very high impact and its hard on the body. I am a pretty hard core runner, I run 6 days a week but I've always liked to run. There are some people who really just completely can't stand it. I wouldn't force yourself to do it, there are other things that burn a lot of calories. Aerobics, elliptical, lots of workout videos too! Anyways, hope this helped. :tongue:

~Leash
  • saskia
    saskia Posts: 31
    Options
    Don't know if they exist in the US, but in Holland Nike organises Start-to-Run courses. Six Saturdaymornings, and I loved it afterwards, and for the first time kept running. I also love the book Running Made Easy (by Zest magazne) - very motivating and great tips. But at the end of the day.....it might just not be for you.
  • osmium
    osmium Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm in NZ not the US and they are very unlikely to have anything like that here. Not that I'd be keen to try to do it with a bunch of others - running seems to be one of those things that there is a huge range of ability in and I'd hate to be constantly the last in a group, too demoralising. I'll a look for that book though, but I think you are right. I need to do something I love doing to keep motivated. I guess I just hoped that I might learn to love running - it's nice and cheap and my dog would love me for it!
  • NTBoard
    NTBoard Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. When I was younger and in school I joined the cross country club. Why? I don't know because I HATED running. I was always last by a LONG ways BUT I LOVED the way I felt when I was done. I'd get back, shower, and then felt like I could do ANYTHING! The high I got from running was incredible! So, each week I'd fight with myself to go (I always did) and then I'd be SO happy I had afterwards. I've had a number of ankle injuries over the years (the latest one causing permanent damage with me no longer having any cartilage in my left ankle) but I just got a treadmill last week so that I can start running yet again. Because I like running? NO. Because I'm limited in what exercises I can do and I'm hoping I can get to the point of that feeling good again. Anyway, I guess it's up to you if you want to take on a love/hate relationship with running. I guess I'm a gluten for punishment!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
    +++POSITIVE THOUGHTS+++!!!
    Niccole :flowerforyou:
  • TRLTAMPA
    TRLTAMPA Posts: 824
    Options
    I was in track and LOVED running. Then I found boys and forgot about track.
    Then I got big and hated anything that would make me sweat, or bounce.....so that means running.
    Now I'm starting the couch to 5k program and I love the jogs....I'm sure the running will feel great too!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I always hated running... ALWAYS. Even when I was young and in great shape and forced to do it in gym class.
    I didn't follow the C25K program - but sort of started on my own. I started walking, then one day I just felt like running! I walked/jogged more and more, then started jog/walking - it's now my favorite form of exercise.... and I didn't start until I was 38 years old! There is definitely a "high" you feel afterwards, as well as the thrill of seeing the pounds just fall off your body.

So, YES - you CAN go from hating running to enjoying it!
    (but if you'd have asked me that 3 years ago I'd have said "No way!")
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    When I was in middle school I joined the track team just to hang out with friends. I was a HORRIBLE runner. Bad form, bad breathing, bad shoes. In highschool I dabbled with running on a treadmill, and almost fell off. Then just this year, after about 6 months of heavy powerlifting, I got sort of burnt out and decided I wanted to work on endurance rather than power...and those things are at opposite ends of the spectrum. I was not in any way trained for endurance, and I decided I wanted to train for a half marathon. After a couple months, I had some severe gastrointestinal issues that laid me up for about 2 weeks and I lost a lot of the training I'd gained, but I REALLY liked running. Now I can still run a few miles a day because I know I have the physical capabilities, but more importantly the mental drive and knowledge that, having run 8 miles, I can easily run 3. I think running is like coffee...takes some getting used to, but once it drink it every morning, you can't go without it!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I did basketball, volleyball, and track in school and every single time at the end of basketball practice when my varsity coach said the magic words, "Get on the line!" my stomach would turn. So basically my tummy was messed up for 4 years straight (same coach in all three varsity sports). :sick:

When I went to college, I didn't run at all. Actually I went from being active every single day of the week, to doing nothing. Finally when I was a Junior, I began running. I love love love it.

I feel proud of myself after every run. I feel a "high". I feel accomplished. Even on days when the dread is the worse part...some days I just think I do NOT want to go....after it's all said and done, I feel great.

Just now got finished with a 3 mile run! :drinker:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I joined a learn to run program at a local gym that followed a walk/run formula. We started walking 2 min Running 1 min and gradually built up to a straight 20 min run in the course of 12 weeks. I had always been a run hater. Lots of side stitches etc. But at the end of that program I really loved running. Now I am by no means a fast runner and if I'm doing a long run 5 miles or longer I follow a 10:1 run walk ratio but I still enjoy it. Maybe you are trying too much too soon. Ease into it and maybe you will be bitten by the love to run bug.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I am REALLY slow.
    An 11-12:00 mile is a good pace for me. I enjoy talking with my running partner, so we jog at a comfortable pace where we can talk the whole time. Even when we did our last long run of 8 mi, we chatted the whole time. When I run by myself I hit about a 10:00 mile, and that feels fast to me. 'Fast' is totally relative. I just like the feeling of running. And it gets me around faster than walking. :laugh:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I should also add that I am REALLY slow.
    An 11-12:00 mile is a good pace for me. I enjoy talking with my running partner, so we jog at a comfortable pace where we can talk the whole time. Even when we did our last long run of 8 mi, we chatted the whole time. When I run by myself I hit about a 10:00 mile, and that feels fast to me. 'Fast' is totally relative. I just like the feeling of running. And it gets me around faster than walking. :laugh:

After running for almost 2 years now (jogging is really what I prefer to call it) I STILL can only run an 11-12 minute mile. Of course, I've never really had speed be my goal - but more endurance. I've always tried to run longer or further, not faster!

Probably one of the reasons I fear entering a race!