Eczema

Hey guys, this is semi fitness related, more health related. I have Eczema, and I have for most of my 20years. If you don't know what that is, it's a skin condition characterized by itching, burning, flaky, peeling, skin. It affects people in different ways and it can migrate all over the body. For me, I have had certain spots to clear up and then take over others. Currently, my hands and my mouth area are plagued by eczema{last 10yrs.} and I'm probably going to go half-way crazy if I can't get this under control.

So of course I've tried all the lotions, cortisone medications, pills, steroids, creams, using no perfume/fragranced/dyed anything, etc. I know all of this already.

So I'm just asking, does anyone have experience with changing their diet at all to help combat eczema? If so, how long did it take to start seeing results in your skin? Also, what kinds of foods are you eating or NOT eating? My only concern is that if I start eating to much of one thing like a lot of fruits the acid/sugar may bother it more.

Any help would be lovely, thanks myfitnesspals.

Replies

• KeeleySue
    KeeleySue Posts: 158
    I have pretty severe eczema on the tops of my hands (only in the winter time), on the front of my shins, and I have dishidrotic eczema on my right foot. The foot is the absolute worst and my dermatologist is considering surgery in the next year or so. While surgery is not a cure, it can help greatly.

I really don't have any advice on foods that can help/hurt. I haven't noticed any improvement because of diet. What improvements I do notice now and then seem to have no triggers. Sometimes it just gets better for no reason. Although, I'm never without it. =(

Feel free to friend me if you like. =)
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    I have been recommended calcium with vitamin d. Also omega fish oils. Havent been trying it long enough for it to make a difference yet tho.

I have to moisturise 3-4 times a day to try to keep it at bay. As a kid, I had it around my lips, so I sympathise greatly :( At the time I put on E45 cream as often as I could, and tried desperately not to lick my lips (easier said than done!)
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    I have had it for a while too. Mine is from frequent hand washing ( I am a home daycare provider so there is a lot of hand washing). I haven't tried to control it with diet. My dermatologist prescribed an awesome cream and it works wonders. I am not sure if I came put the name here on the board but if you wan to know what it is send me a message.

The only help I have really found, other than the cream has been drinking lots of water and Gold Bond lotion.
  • goldengirl111
    goldengirl111 Posts: 684 Member
    Suffering flare-up now.....
    Vitamin e oil
    Mild soap
    Pat skin with a wet lukewarm or cool towel...soothes the itching. My skin tends to get hot to the touch when I have a flare up.
    Drink plenty of water
    I plan to take a multivitamin and will increase spinach intake
  • gillie80
    gillie80 Posts: 214 Member
    edited October 2016
    I suffered as a child although i grew out of it. i've been suffering a bit of dermatitis on my hand recently and when i started taking a multivitamin with iron it's really helped clear it up. try a good all round multivitamin, like goldengirl111 said. hope you get some relief
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Dairy products are known to be potential problems for eczema sufferers, so you might try reducing those or looking at using goat/soy or other milks.
    I spent 29 years constantly using creams and lotions, before discovering what I actually had was a reaction to lanolin and wool. I can just about wear a woollen jumper for a day before I start to itch. Many hand creams and moisturisers contain lanolin – E45 being one. I also tried something called Udder Cream (bought from an agricultural supplier…..) but that turned out to contain lanolin too. I now pretty much solely use a medicated cream from the pharmacy (Diprobase) and found my usage went from every half an hour applying before I realised about the lanolin, to having been away for three days and forgetting to take any cream with me.

My worst points were wrists and hands, and often stress related. The other thing I noticed is that when my hands feel dry, my body also feels dehydrated, meaning that the skin problems are associated with dehydration – drink more water.

So my tips are –
    • drink more water
    • Try removing dairy from your diet (specifically cow)
    • Look closely at your moisturiser and avoid lanolin (a known allergen
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Eczema can be a symptom of a thyroid problem, eat more thyroid supporting foods (cruciferous and sea vegetables) and avoid thyroid antagonistic foods (wheat and soy), try some lugol iodine and/or thyroid supporting herbs (nature's sunshine make a thyroid support and thyroid activator that are great together). Irish moss lotion topically should help too, but the root issue is healing the thyroid.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    edited October 2016
    My son's boyfriend has very bad eczema & they just discovered that dairy is making it worse. He's eliminated dairy & it improved but did not go away, so it apparently isn't the only cause. I just heard a story on NPR--Health in a Heartbeat, about a study that links calcium carbonate in tap water to developing eczema in infants. http://news.health.ufl.edu/2016/26328/multimedia/health-in-a-heartbeat/hard-tap-water-linked-to-eczema-in-babies/ . The story doesn't give any solutions, but it may be somewhere to start researching.

I just noticed this is a zombie thread. Hopefully the information will be helpful to someone :) .
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Tamanu oil. You can order it online. Tamanu oil is extracted from an African nut. It is used to treat eczema, psoriasis, and acne. I use it to make soap and lotion, but you can rub it straight on the skin. It will soothe it and help it heal.
  • goldengirl111
    girlinahat wrote: »
    Dairy products are known to be potential problems for eczema sufferers, so you might try reducing those or looking at using goat/soy or other milks.
    I spent 29 years constantly using creams and lotions, before discovering what I actually had was a reaction to lanolin and wool. I can just about wear a woollen jumper for a day before I start to itch. Many hand creams and moisturisers contain lanolin – E45 being one. I also tried something called Udder Cream (bought from an agricultural supplier…..) but that turned out to contain lanolin too. I now pretty much solely use a medicated cream from the pharmacy (Diprobase) and found my usage went from every half an hour applying before I realised about the lanolin, to having been away for three days and forgetting to take any cream with me.

My worst points were wrists and hands, and often stress related. The other thing I noticed is that when my hands feel dry, my body also feels dehydrated, meaning that the skin problems are associated with dehydration – drink more water.

So my tips are –
    • drink more water
    • Try removing dairy from your diet (specifically cow)
    • Look closely at your moisturiser and avoid lanolin (a known allergen

I agree with the hydration. Lately I've started spraying cool water on the itchy parts of my skin. With Eczema it seems the body does not absorb moisture topically so I saturate my skin with fresh cool water. Makes my skin less leathery and calms it. I drink water inside and out.
  • goldengirl111
    edited October 2016
    Repeatedly spraying the water!!!! Like 5_10 times a day... every time I think of it. Really helped me feel and look better.
  • goldengirl111
    Even if a tiny hair touches my skin it makes it itch. My skin becomes painful and stiff. Thanks for your tips everyone.
  • Red_Pill
    Red_Pill Posts: 300 Member
    edited October 2016
    As everyone's different there's so many different possible causes for it. I had a small patch of it years back so I used the standard cream for it and it went away, then it came back again the following year. I did some research into it because I'm a geek like that. And to my ignorant self I was actually surprised food effected it however it made sense. If your cells are made from what you eat then of course it's a dietary issue. Ultimately I discovered healing the gut eliminated the problem for me. It's been gone ever since and my skin looks super clear. But they're things you can do to help/heal along the way such as using a food diary to notice what foods trigger you, usually its one or more of these: dairy, eggs, sugar, deep fried food, wheat and nuts. Also take supplements in potassium, omega 3 & vitamin C, D and E. Basically avoid the foods I've outlined for 2 weeks or more if you want. And supplement those Micronutrients. I'm 99% sure that you'll see changes. Also type Barbra O'Neill into YouTube and watch her lectures. She basically sums up a lot of the research I also found out. Specifically the one on the gut.

PS. For carbs you can eat potatoes, rice, rice noodles, all vegetables *Spinach is real good , beans, anything natural. Protein - anything you want that's a protein from nature. Just don't deep fry it. Grilling is best. For fats - extra virgin olive oil, avocados, oily fishes. Plus drink lots of water - avoid tap water as much as you can. That's what I did and it vinished. If you're in the middle of losing weight then simply dial in your calories with these foods. It really is easy. Enjoy and Good luck :smile:
  • DaytonaTheHousecat
    DaytonaTheHousecat Posts: 37 Member
    Have you tried taking coconut oil ? Or using it to moisturize your skin ?
  • Tea_A_Holic
    Tea_A_Holic Posts: 36 Member
    Food is a related thing, for which we all differ, but I was told that tomatoes, mushrooms which are a fungi and all citric acids were my triggers. Citric acid can be found in the obvious like oranges, lemons and limes, but also all currant and berry fruits, but not pineapple like many think, it is a different kind of acid.
    Hope this helps.