Not losing weight!

Hi everyone! I need help! I have been trying to lose weight since the 20th August and have only lost 4lb. My calorie allowance is 1200 which I have stuck to like glue, many days coming well under that. I do 40 minutes hula hoop every day, 20 minutes step aerobics and walk at least 2 miles a day, sometimes 4. Surely I should be losing weight?!

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited October 2016
    Actually 4 pounds is a loss and if you are set to lose .5 a week this might be on point from the two - three weeks it took for your body to make an initial adjustment.. Follow the flow chart.

There are basic questions we need to ask?

1) Do you use a food scale to weigh your 1200 calorie intake?
    2) Do you eat back exercise calories? If so how do you calculate calorie burns and how much do you eat back (%)?
    3) What is your current weight?
    4) How many pounds (rate of loss) per week did you setup MFP for and what is your activity level in MFP?
    5) Can you open your diary?

9jk29o2ykx2r.jpg

• janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member
    edited October 2016
    Enter your details (height, weight, activity level) into MFP, eat those calories.
    Weigh your food, choose the correct database entries.
    Exercise and decide how much of those burnt calories you would like to eat back.
    This is healthy.
  • sonners29
    sonners29 Posts: 5 Member
    edited October 2016
    I do weigh all my food and track my exercise but I don't eat the extra calories I get for doing the exercise. Most days I'm only eating between 1000-1100. Feeling really disheartened with it all tbh
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    sonners29 wrote: »
    I do weigh all my food and track my exercise but I don't eat the extra calories I get for doing the exercise. Most days I'm only eating between 1000-1100. Feeling really disheartened with it all tbh

Not to derail this thread.. (sorry) This is still under eating by more than you say. Your net calories are still way below where they should be added in the exercise that you do. This is still bad advice.

Do yourself a favor and rethink this. You are only compounding your own efforts and goals by doing this in an unnecessary aggressive fashion.
  • sonners29
    sonners29 Posts: 5 Member
    I know what you're saying RoxieDawn but surely eating more calories can only make things worse considering I'm not losing anything now?
  • Also for faster weight loss you can increase your metabolism by eating a small healthy snack every 2 hours or so, therefore you feel less hungry and feel energized throughout the day. Additionally, I use an app called "7-minute workout" on the app store which is a personal trainer that facilitates your workout sessions.
  • RoxieDawn
    I know what you're saying RoxieDawn but surely eating more calories can only make things worse considering I'm not losing anything now?

Start a thread.. we will help you. but in the short term, you are doing this wrong. I am sorry to say that your efforts will prove or continue to prove all the more difficult doing it your method.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    Also for faster weight loss you can increase your metabolism by eating a small healthy snack every 2 hours or so, therefore you feel less hungry and feel energized throughout the day. Additionally, I use an app called "7-minute workout" on the app store which is a personal trainer that facilitates your workout sessions.

What???

Faster weight loss, aggressive weight loss is is dangerous and unhealthy and and will effect your metabolism but not by increasing it. Side effects, short term lead to longer term side effects, and these can cause health issues. A person is trying to get healthier in weight loss not the opposite.
  • RoxieDawn wrote: »
    Also for faster weight loss you can increase your metabolism by eating a small healthy snack every 2 hours or so, therefore you feel less hungry and feel energized throughout the day. Additionally, I use an app called "7-minute workout" on the app store which is a personal trainer that facilitates your workout sessions.

What???

Faster weight loss, aggressive weight loss is is dangerous and unhealthy and and will effect your metabolism but not by increasing it. Side effects, short term lead to longer term side effects, and these can cause health issues. A person is trying to get healthier in weight loss not the opposite.

You're putting two different words in a same context. They aren't synonyms. Faster doesn't mean aggressive. Having a high metabolism is healthy for you. I've suggested one of many ways to boosting your metabolism and there's no reason for disputes. Read your facts:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/boost-your-metabolism

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306911,00.html
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

What???

You're putting two different words in a same context. They aren't synonyms. Faster doesn't mean aggressive. Having a high metabolism is healthy for you. I've suggested one of many ways to boosting your metabolism and there's no reason for disputes. Read your facts:

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/boost-your-metabolism

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-boost-your-metabolism

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20306911,00.html

I am sorry but this thread was about not losing weight and not about going at this "faster weight loss" as you describe. Faster, better, building metabolism and what not is not what this thread is about.

And those articles are simple every day tactics to sustain healthy methods for losing weight, maintaining weight loss etc... I did not get on this thread to discuss all the ins and out of this topic.. The links are there, you have posted them I am sure someone that lurks through here may give them a read.
  • janetennet
    janetennet Posts: 143 Member

There are very few reasons why you would not be loosing and (I would say 90%) of the time it's down to user error.
    Although it seems counter-intuitive please up your calories, unless you are incredibly short you do not need to be eating less than 1200. In the long term you could end up causing your body some serious harm.

Open your diary as well and some of us will have look through to give you advice, there are also lists of "calorie-full" foods (e.g. full fat yogurt, peanut butter, nuts etc.) that you can add to give you more calories without too much volume.

Also MFP is calculated so that you can eat your exercise calories - just be careful because the amounts unless taken with a HRM and chest strap are usually over-estimated.
  • RoxieDawn
    janetennet wrote: »

There are very few reasons why you would not be loosing and (I would say 90%) of the time it's down to user error.
    Although it seems counter-intuitive please up your calories, unless you are incredibly short you do not need to be eating less than 1200. In the long term you could end up causing your body some serious harm.

Open your diary as well and some of us will have look through to give you advice, there are also lists of "calorie-full" foods (e.g. full fat yogurt, peanut butter, nuts etc.) that you can add to give you more calories without too much volume.

Also MFP is calculated so that you can eat your exercise calories - just be careful because the amounts unless taken with a HRM and chest strap are usually over-estimated.

This is not the OP..

this is a poster that posted their weight loss issues in the middle of someone elses thread (sort of derailed the thread).. :(
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member

You're not eating enough. Have you found out what your TDEE is? Most people burn a lot more during the day just doing nothing than they think then add in all the workouts you're doing and your body goes into "save me-I'm not getting enough!" Check out your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
  • Lilith200
    Lilith200 Posts: 7 Member
    I experienced similar and hit a wall for 3 weeks. Then I read this kind of helpful forum (thank you for your bravery in asking and sharing!) and decided to up my calories to 1600 and reduce my workouts from 5-6 days to 3 days a week of HIIT. In 2 weeks I have lost 8 lbs (down from 201 to 193). Still have a ways to go but I feel physically and emotionally better. It seemed counter intuitive but I think my body needed the extra nutrients to repair as well as some off days of light activity. I am not an expert so this might not work for you, but it seems to have helped to increase my metabolism and give me the energy to do HIIT training. I can also think more clearly, less forgetful. Good luck on your journey!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member

You're not eating enough. Have you found out what your TDEE is? Most people burn a lot more during the day just doing nothing than they think then add in all the workouts you're doing and your body goes into "save me-I'm not getting enough!" Check out your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Your body doesn't go into "save me I'm not eating enough" mode. Sure your metabolism slows a bit but not enough to stop losing weight. If this were true anorexics and people living in famines would not be underweight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member

This is not the OP..

this is a poster that posted their weight loss issues in the middle of someone elses thread (sort of derailed the thread).. :(

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I do believe that is the OP?

OP, if you want advice, we at least need to know your stats, and it would be helpful if you were willing to open your food log.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »

This is not the OP..

OP, if you want advice, we at least need to know your stats, and it would be helpful if you were willing to open your food log.

Yup sonners is the op
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member

But you ARE losing. You've lost 4lbs. :) It might not be as fast as you'd hoped, but you are losing.

How often do you weigh yourself? There's always the possibility that natural fluctuations in your weight are masking the real rate of loss, and you might just need to give it more time. Plus, if you're not as accurate as you think in your weighing and logging, you might be unintentionally eating more calories. (My standard disclaimer is to point out that this type of comment isn't meant to imply that a person may be greedy, just that many of us are quite poor at estimating accurately.)

MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories, or at least a portion of them (since calories-burned estimates are often exaggerated by the site and/or machines you may be using to track), so please do consider this. Like someone else said, unless you're very short you should not be eating less than 1200 calories (net) as it can be hard to get proper nutrition that way and it won't do your health any good in the longer term.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Eating more might actually help. You're likely eating below BMR and getting too few calories & carbs affects your hormones & prevents weight loss and slows down your metabolism. Eat more, keep exercising. You should have more energy and feel better

Too few calories is as bad as too many!
  • RoxieDawn
    edited October 2016
    kimny72 wrote: »

This is not the OP..

You guys are right.. that was major over sight on my part (my apologies) . I got confused when posting, @sweetstrawberriesallday and @dotori_jelly jumped in the middle of thread and I was trying to knock 2 birds out with one stone if you will. (confusing cause these two people seem to be the same person now)..