Feelin like a crummy person, what to do??

Options
cbratthauer
cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
:frown: I'm really feeling crummy and I want to do the right thing here, I need advice!!! Financially, my fiance and I do ok. We aren't rich, but we eat, we pay our bills, and we make our house payment. Well his student loans are about to start and will be around $500 extra a month, a grant I was supposed to get fell through so I just dished out $1200 to my school, and our air broke we had to get a whole new AC Unit which was over $2500. Plus, we're planning/paying for our wedding which is in less than 2 months. My uncle was diagnosed with cancer last fall and we have helped every way we can. I used to sell Avon and donated all of my earnings to them, we've gotten them grocery gift cards, and a couple of months ago went to a benefit where we spent close to $1000 at.

Today at work one of my coworkers walked around asking for money for another coworker who just found out that her husband had cancer. They want to get them a grocery gift card to help out. Normally I would jump at giving them a $20 or something to go towards it, but right now we're pinching pennies so hard my fingers are bruised. I don't know what to do! I WANT to give something, because I know what this family is going through. But I literally have $10 in my bank account for the next 10 days. What do I do? They are getting the gift card tonight, so I can't wait until I get paid again either....

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Since it is a co-worker and they know the pay day telling them you wont have cash til payday works. Or just tell them sorry but I can't right now sorry end of story.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I'm sure everyone will understand if it's just not within your means to help out with the card right now. Don't feel badly. Wait until payday then bake her cookies or something. It will let her know you're thinking of them and want to help out, even if it's not monetary.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Cancer really is a terrible thing for any family to experience and my family are also going through it.

However, if you cannot afford it, then don't go hungry to add to this card. Not everyone is in a situation where they can donate and other people should realise this. You seriously shouldn't be feeling guilty about this and you're definately not a crummy person...the fact that you have considered giving them your last $10 speaks volumes about the person you are. If they ask, just explain that you're not able to help at this moment.

I'm also getting married in 3 months time and understand how much this costs.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Since it is a co-worker and they know the pay day telling them you wont have cash til payday works. Or just tell them sorry but I can't right now sorry end of story.
    i agree with the above. i think too people right now really understand when people are strapped for cash..
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Can you offer to do something else? make an easy to heat dinner? offer babysitting services? I think thats what really means the most to people.....

And you are not crummy at all. I always want to give more than i can, thanks to student loans. I am sure people understand this!
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel, but you have to take care of your family as well. I'm sure they will understand. Maybe you can give something later on down the road. This is not going to be a quick thing to get over and I'm sure there will be other opportunities to give. Don't beat yourself up.
  • bonjourdollface
    Options
    try donating your time or services instead of money.
  • CardiacNP
    CardiacNP Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. You do what and if you can. And now you can;t No harm, no foul.
    Thinks some good thoughts and say a prayer. May be more helpful than the 10$
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Can you offer to do something else? make an easy to heat dinner? offer babysitting services? I think thats what really means the most to people.....

This. I have more time than I have money these days. I'd offer to do some yard work or run errands.
  • BARBIED0LL
    BARBIED0LL Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I would politely decline and explain your reasoning if you want to. Ask if there's anything you can do to help out that doesn't require money.
  • Scarletblue
    Scarletblue Posts: 255
    Options
    It would be better if your job would just have a donation pot in a safe place where people can donate annonamously (sp?) it is nobodies business how much somebody donates or who doesn't at all.