Help! Going out for mexican tonight!

Options
Ok what can I have? Or, what should I have?? I have 800 cals left for the day (yeah treadmill), but I don't want to use up all 800 at dinner. ( I need my fat free pudding and cool whip dessert!)

Replies

• caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Ok what can I have? Or, what should I have?? I have 800 cals left for the day (yeah treadmill), but I don't want to use up all 800 at dinner. ( I need my fat free pudding and cool whip dessert!)
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I would go with chicken fajitas. You can make it as healthy & low fat as you want. :smile:

{{oh and 3 grande margaritis too please!}} :laugh:
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I had mexican yesterday and ordered cheese quesadillas with fresh salsa. That came to around 400 cals and although I normally don't do this, I ordered a diet Coke to go with it...

It was good!!
  • Coach2010
    Coach2010 Posts: 209
    Options
    Don't forget the soup...yummmm :wink:

You may want to call ahead to find out if they use lard or cooking oil in their foods.

Sounds great though...enjoy!!! :drinker:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I personally love burritos or tacos with a whole wheat shell. Ill get it with shrimp or chicken or beef, spinache, tomatos, onions, peppers, maybe some guacamole, black beans... NO sour cream or any of that stuff.

Its a complete meal all in one food and its sooooooo good its beautiful!
  • wizabugga
    wizabugga Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about taco salad!! YUMMY!! Get it with chicken instead of beef. I will usually allow myself to have a smidge of guacamole with it :blushing: , but no cheese or sour cream and put as much salsa as you want on it. And remember...don't eat the shell...that's the worst part! Enjoy your yummy mexican food for me!! :flowerforyou:
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    MMMmmmm... I had a spinach enchilada with pepper jack cheese....no refried beans or rice
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about taco salad!! YUMMY!! Get it with chicken instead of beef. I will usually allow myself to have a smidge of guacamole with it :blushing: , but no cheese or sour cream and put as much salsa as you want on it. And remember...don't eat the shell...that's the worst part! Enjoy your yummy mexican food for me!! :flowerforyou:

This is what I always do, except I ask them to put it in a bowl instead of the shell. I can't be trusted and often end up eating the shell if they bring it to me.
  • AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    We went out last night and I planned on eating whatever I wanted, after all it was for one night and we were celebrating my bf's birthday. When we got there though, I was thinking I have worked to hard to just blow it, so I ordered a chicken taco salad and asked for it made healthy. I was very surprised because it was delicious and a whole less calories than my usual there. I also didn't eat the shell.
  • finzup
    finzup Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The problems with mexican food:
    Burritos general can be 800 calories or more on their own -- Enchiladas are smothered with cheese. Chimichangas are deep fried, quesadillas have giant flour tortillas (read: lots of calories) plus filled with cheese (read: lots of fat) so they aren't really a good choice for a meal. Nachos - forget about it, Tacos - the shell is fried, and soft tacos -again, it's the tortillas that are so high in calorie.
    Margaritas - avoid at all costs, that mix is all sugar. Plus Mexican restaurants usually serve "giant" margaritas, with 8oz or more of margarita mix -- looking quickly at the food database, 4oz of mix is roughly 110 calories, a shot of tequila is 65 calories, a shot of triple sec is 100 calories so one of those giant margaritas could cost you almost 400 calories!

Some solutions:
    - chicken tortilla soup (light on the tortillas) is a good choice I think -- or chicken fajitas but without the flour tortillas -- those can be like 400 calories for 3!

- Order black beans as opposed to refried as many restaurants use lard in the refried beans..

- If the place serves meals in addition to burritos, tacos, enchilada, consider something like a chicken dish that consists of chicken breast meat in a red sauce with rice and beans.. Quite healthy and delicious.

- Taco Salad -- order it without the shell so you won't be tempted. And see if you can sub grilled chicken for the beef.

- If you must drink, try a glass of white wine .. or a corona light

Good luck!! I :heart: mexican food and it's very difficult!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    thats why I love love tijuana flatts. You have an option of wheat and fat free sour cream and cheese. Order the smallest, do all beans no rice(I live and breathe by no white-sugar, salt, flour, rice, pasta) slasa and hot sauce are low cal yummo ways to flavor up food. Guac is wonderful its high in fat BUT it has a boatload of heart healthy fats, and just plain tastes good)