Bananas

Options
So, I buy bananas when I go grocery shopping once a week. I buy them green so they will keep longer. However...they always ripen way too fast and I can never eat them all and I end up throwing them away (bummer!!). I was wondering if it was possible to peel the bananas when they are ripe, cut them up and put them in storage containers and put them in the fridge? Would they keep longer this way? I just hate throwing away food. Thanks!

Replies

• Jen1013
    Jen1013 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Peel them and freeze them! I have a big bag of frozen bananas in my freezer all the time for smoothies - just throw them in the blender frozen.
  • mahus14
    mahus14 Posts: 2
    Options
    I peel mine and put them in a freezer bag and freeze them.. They can be used for smoothies, banana bread,etc
  • lisapickering
    Options
    I peel mine and put them in a freezer bag and freeze them.. They can be used for smoothies, banana bread,etc

Me too!
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I just buy fewer at a time!
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I peel, break into 4 pieces and place in a ziploc and freeze. They're great for smoothies this way!
  • szczepj
    szczepj Posts: 422
    Options
    I don't know about freezing them, but you can always buy less. Since generally banana's cost comes from weight. Just take half of the bananas you'd normally take.
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We PEEL, BAG, and FREEZE too! :)
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    Options
    Separate your bananas and store them in different parts of your kitchen. They ripen exponentially faster when they're left in a bunch.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I don't peel mine. I freeze them in the skin.
  • nelletali
    nelletali Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you just want to keep them fresh a few days longer you can put them in the refrigerator unpeeled. The peels turn black and look really nasty but the banana stays fresh.
  • officiallymrswhite
    officiallymrswhite Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Good info! Thanks! If you just want to eat banana though...not in the form of a smoothie...can you freeze and thaw them in the fridge and just eat them? Do they taste ok?
  • msmandyjo
    msmandyjo Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Separate your bananas and store them in different parts of your kitchen. They ripen exponentially faster when they're left in a bunch.

This... unless you just want them for smoothies, then you can peel and freeze.
  • Ellastrong
    Ellastrong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Probably not, they'll be a little mushy if you eat them straight from the freezer and not blend them.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    peeling and freezing makes a delicious frozen banana popsicle like treat! Yum! Grapes are equally as good frozen!

I eat peviously frozen, now thawing bananas cut up with a fork. Its good this way half-frozen half-thawed.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't found a good way to keep whole bananas from turning brown so quickly. When they do turn too brown (which for me is any brown at all) I freeze them and use them for baking down the road. There is a product called Fruit Fresh that is used to keep fruit from turning brown. It does work but to me it leaves a slightly slimy film on the fruit. I would only use it for fruit salad because it isn't noticeable that way. There is also a product called a banana holder that is used when you only eat part of a banana and you want to keep the second half from going brown. I haven't used it but I have seen it at baby stores and online. I have not tried those "green bags" that are made for produce but someone told me that they work. You might try those. For now, I just only buy 2-3 bananas at a time.
  • mamapuddin17
    mamapuddin17 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Separate them and then refrigerate them they last a lot longer!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Me too!:smile:
  • kadoodle76
    kadoodle76 Posts: 234
    Options
    Brown ones are awesome to cook with cuz they have more flavor. Nanner bread, nanner pancakes, nanner smoothies, frozen buh-nanners on a stick...But yeah,if you only like them the way nature intended just buy less. :)

p.s. my fingers refuse to type the word the correct way so therefore...buh-nanners lol
  • queen_bea
    queen_bea Posts: 118
    Options
    i have recently frozen a bunch of seriously black bananas and then used them for banana bread later on. the only suggestion i've picked up (and it was from this post) is to peel them prior to freezing. i had the unlucky job of trying to peel freezing cold, soggy, wet, reeeally over ripe bananas. not fun.