Potassium

Options
_CHRISTIE_
_CHRISTIE_ Posts: 237 Member
In looking at my weekly goals, daily goals etc... I noticed that my potassium intake is extremely low... My daily goal is 3500 according to mfp and I'm not getting anywhere even remotely close to that.... I just averaged out the month of June and my daily potassium intake is around 706mg's.... some days I'm not getting any... I've never had problems with my blood pressure, but everytime I work out I get cramps in my muscles..so I started putting 2 and 2 together w/ the cramping thinking that b/c they have me on a low dose diuretic (also have had heart surgery and easily get into congestive heart failure...not for weight loss).... I was thinking that maybe my potassium was low... I have terrible neruopathy in my leg since my last amputation, and was reading low potassium it could affect nerve activity as well.... well then when I started reading on it I realized it affects your nerve activitiy, your muscles, and your digestive system even... which I have problems with all 3.... Having so many medical issues, I have my bloodwork checked pretty regularly and I've never been told that I have issues w/ potassium, so this could mean nothing at all..... but???

So now...here is the kicker...how does a really picky eater get more potassium...hah... I love banana's when they are almost green but I can't once they get even remotely soft usually after a day of 2 of buying them...and I know thats a good source...I thought about buying an OTC supplament...but I already take so much medicine I don't want to add something else into the mix...

My question is for you, what do you eat to increase your potassium intake? Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Replies

• _CHRISTIE_
    Options
    bumping this up since no one has responded in 4 hours :(
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    Kale is good, and pumpkin seeds... I'm having trouble finding enough potassium myself!
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I eat Avocados for potassium...
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Coconut water. One serving has more potassium than 2 bananas.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I think just about everyone is under for potassium. What does it mean? I don't think we really know. Even when I eat a diet high in vegetables, fruits, nuts, and whole grains, I still don't get enough. This tells me that there just isn't enough science yet behind the role of potassium and exactly how much we really need. I'm not sure potassium is one you should worry about a lot. I would worry about calcium, vitamin D, and iron. And these are the ones that you would want to get checked by a doctor to see where your levels are and let them prescribe supplements for those if needed. I would never recommend taking OTC supplements unless you're trying to lose like 2 lbs a week and are eating like 1200 calories a day and filling up on foods that aren't high in nutrients. But, I would even be cautious about that as well.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    You forgot to include:

"Potassium is a simple mineral with a crucial job: helping your heart beat. A hundred thousand times a day, potassium helps trigger your heart’s squeeze of blood through your body.

If you have high blood pressure, heart failure, or heart rhythm problems, getting enough potassium is especially important. And although potassium and cholesterol aren’t directly related, eating a potassium-rich diet just might lower your cholesterol, too.."

"Excellent sources of potassium include:

potatoes
    tomatoes
    avocados
    fresh fruits (bananas, oranges, and strawberries)
    orange juice
    dried fruits (raisins, apricots, prunes, and dates)
    spinach
    beans and peas
    "

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/potassium-and-your-heart
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I have my bloodwork checked pretty regularly and I've never been told that I have issues w/ potassium, so this could mean nothing at all..... but???

If your blood work is consistently coming back clean (saying your potassium is fine), then why stress over what you read on the internet? Medical tests and your doctor can determine your needs better than any webpage can! There are disadvantages to over-supplementing as well, and they can be just as harmful as under-supplementing. Follow your medical tests, not the internet. If your blood work says you're fine (which is what it's saying), then you are! :smile:
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I upped my potassium by 1500-3000mg a day... by using unsweetened almond milk in my coffee. I drink a LOT of coffee.

A better resource than me... http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000122000000000000000.html
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Correct. I never said it wasn't important. I just don't know that there are many people who reach that 3500mg per day, and I'm not so sure that number is based on a whole lot of science. If you're eating a diet full of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts/seeds, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I also don't think telling people to supplement to reach that magic number is a good thing. I would recommend asking a doctor directly about potassium intake and if you should worry.
  • _CHRISTIE_
    Options
    Thanks guys, I have a Dr's appt friday and I plan on asking them then... I don't know that my potassium comes back normal, I'm just guessing it is because I've never been told otherwise... I would assume this is something that they check.... but not sure, I'll be asking just out of curiosity.., I've never really thought about it, even when my legs were cramping this week with exercise... until I was looking back over my diary and it was showing how off I was on my potassium intake and then I started reading online about potassium, etc. etc.. :) Thanks for the ideas as far as food sources go! the coconut milk in coffee sounds really good, but it also sounds like it would be high in calories haha... I'll have to check into it! :)
  • shifthappens2011
    Options
    I upped my potassium by 1500-3000mg a day... by using unsweetened almond milk in my coffee. I drink a LOT of coffee.

A better resource than me... http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-000122000000000000000.html

190 mg. of potassium in a cup of this milk. You must be drinking a huge vat of coffee each day! :laugh: (That's a coffee hyped up smiley!)
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    They make potassium supplements..... ask your doctor about taking over the counter potassium supplements... that may help:happy:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I just recently discovered my potassium was low and causing dizziness among other problems. I have upped my intake through foods and switched to Mortons salt substitute which is 610mg potassium per 1/4 tsp. I saw changes in just a couple days.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Low-sodium V8 (original flavor, not the spicy or other varieties). Yogurt. Broccoli. Potatoes eaten with the skin. Tomatoes. And don't forget, most foods have at least *some* potassium in them, even in low amounts, but since it's not a requirement for labels, a lot of entries in the database have potassium listed at 0. When in doubt, I always check foods here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/
  • _CHRISTIE_
    Options
    Low-sodium V8 (original flavor, not the spicy or other varieties). Yogurt. Broccoli. Potatoes eaten with the skin. Tomatoes. And don't forget, most foods have at least *some* potassium in them, even in low amounts, but since it's not a requirement for labels, a lot of entries in the database have potassium listed at 0. When in doubt, I always check foods here: http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I hadn't thought about that... that's a good point... I eat alot of tomatoes...so maybe i'm getting more potassium in than I think.... :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

190 mg. of potassium in a cup of this milk. You must be drinking a huge vat of coffee each day! :laugh: (That's a coffee hyped up smiley!)

Coffee has potassium too... when I switched from cows milk to almond milk and didn't have to worry about cranking my sugar count up... 255 mg per 16oz (coffee + almond milk).
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I noticed the same thing and have been trying to get more potassium. After a bit of research, and as some mentioned above, here are a few things:

Coconut water
    Dates and Figs
    Pineapple

I have also found the magic of what is Brewer's Yeast!!! Lewis Labs brewer's yeast. I heard about how incredible this supplement is on a weight-loss podcast, they recommended Lewis Labs brand. I mix it up with water and one tablespoon of sugar-free orange Citricel for a bit of flavor, and drink it down every morning. Just look up online what is in brewer's yeast, it's amazing. High in potassium, and way high in elements like chromium, selenium, good fiber source, and even has protein. It's a totally amazing (and natural) supplement, and I highly recommend it!