I just don't understand.....

Options
I know there are a million posts like this on this site, and I promise that I'm not whining. I just need to tell this to somebody, I keep on getting so frustrated. The first time I did this (like october of last year) I dropped 12 pounds like THAT. I felt so good about myself, I was doing it and doing it right! Some serious stuff hit me though, and I stopped caring completely about myself. I emotionally binged CONSTANTLY and I just found all my marginal comfort in food because I was in pain. I got down to 167, and when this stared, I stopped weighing myself and stopped trying. I'm back though, and I've been going strong for a month now. I know that I need to do this, I'm tired of being fat and un-happy with myself. I've realized too that food is not a comfort and not a friend, I can't substitute.

My problem is, I can't seem to drop ANYTHING. I've been eating good, working out in some form every day, and eating most if not all of my excercise calories. I took my measurements, I know it's too soon to tell with that though. I weigh in the morning. One day 177, next 173, next day 175, back all the way up to 178 etc etc. I know I need to stop weighing everyday. It's just hard because I feel like nothing is happening, and I'm working so hard. Tonight I gave into a big 'ol bag of popcorn because I was STARVING, I'm so hungry too. I'm sorrry for the long story, I'm just so stressed, whoever reads this, thanks for listening :flowerforyou:

Replies

• greeneyedgirl829
    Options
    I know there are a million posts like this on this site, and I promise that I'm not whining. I just need to tell this to somebody, I keep on getting so frustrated. The first time I did this (like october of last year) I dropped 12 pounds like THAT. I felt so good about myself, I was doing it and doing it right! Some serious stuff hit me though, and I stopped caring completely about myself. I emotionally binged CONSTANTLY and I just found all my marginal comfort in food because I was in pain. I got down to 167, and when this stared, I stopped weighing myself and stopped trying. I'm back though, and I've been going strong for a month now. I know that I need to do this, I'm tired of being fat and un-happy with myself. I've realized too that food is not a comfort and not a friend, I can't substitute.

My problem is, I can't seem to drop ANYTHING. I've been eating good, working out in some form every day, and eating most if not all of my excercise calories. I took my measurements, I know it's too soon to tell with that though. I weigh in the morning. One day 177, next 173, next day 175, back all the way up to 178 etc etc. I know I need to stop weighing everyday. It's just hard because I feel like nothing is happening, and I'm working so hard. Tonight I gave into a big 'ol bag of popcorn because I was STARVING, I'm so hungry too. I'm sorrry for the long story, I'm just so stressed, whoever reads this, thanks for listening :flowerforyou:
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    I am having the same problem! It used to be I didn't eat a lot and the next day I would be down 4 lbs but a couple months ago gained about 15 pounds and I ate whatever and whenever I wanted! (for example one day I went to panda express and taco bell haha) and for 3 weeks now I have been excersising everyday and eating my 1200 calories and I am at the same weight I have lost nothing,makes me think that if I was eating whatever I wanted and not slaving away at the gym I would still weigh the same? Gives me no motivation!
  • michelle33
    Options
    Hang in there and keep up the good work! It sounds like you might benefit from looking at the sodium you are taking in. My weight does that when I eat too much sodium. Also, muscle weighs more than fat and how your clothes fit and body measurement should be an indicator of success as well :flowerforyou:
  • awinmac
    awinmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi,
    I know it's hard when you don't feel like your losing any weight. I started only weighing myself once a week and only in the morning before eating anything. Also you could try eating lots and lots of veggies they fill you up but don't pack on the pounds like a lot of other things do.There are lots of great vegan diets out there, that keep you full but don't have tons of calories, check out the library. Also eating things like avocados, chocolate (only dark 70% or more cocoa) and nut butters are filling but have more good and beneficial fats than other fatty foods.
    good luck and try not to get discouraged!
    chin up and cheers!
    -Amber :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    good news and good news,,,,first...you did it last October...that means you know you can do it....many things side traxck us and divert us....stress can interfere and block us from doing anything and most times we dont even know we are stressed....maybe you are stressed about doing it again...or something else is sterssing you...you can handle it ...more good news....you are not alone in this....

even the smallest progress is important and you reaching is another good thing

hang in there
  • chiefsfan1
    Options
    :indifferent: I'm with ya on that! We started a weight loss challenge at work and I have cut back so much on what I eat and excerising every stinking day. I am hungry all the time and I have only lost 2 1/2 pounds in 2 weeks. I have lost about a 1/2 inch on my waist, hips, thighs, calves, biceps and neck each so that is encouraging, but I just feel like I should be losing more. I am already pretty active to begin with, always have been, but I guess I have a very slow metabolism cause I have always had a problem with being able to lose weight. Anyway, I will stick to it though and hopefully I will at least continue to lose a pound a week, cause a pound is a pound.
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    For one you might want to see if your exercise calories are accurate. I was using the calories the sites for calories burned were giving me then I borrowed a friends HRM and found out I wasn't burning anywhere near the calories they said I was. Also what kind of scale are you weighing on. If it is digital, get on and off 3-4 times and make sure it is weighing you the same each time. I could not find a scale that did so I use the scale at the gym that is like the old Dr's scales. The position you stand in on the scale can make a big difference too. Try to stand in the same position when you get on and stand on the scale. Other than that just hang in there. Unfortunately the more we yo yo the more our bodies learn to adapt to calorie restrictions. It'll give the fat up eventually!:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
    to adapt to the calorie restriction but you can do this!:drinker:
  • MadTurtle
    Options
    I would think you are overestimating your exercise calories. I would start from scratch! Stop exercising and take 4 weeks and just concentrate on staying in the guidelines.

Yes there may be discomfort and you may have to eat a lot of bulk (lettuce,radishes,carrots and celery) to stay full. With in two weeks your body will normalize and learn to live with in its guidelines and you wont need all the bulk anymore.

You may even have trouble eating all your normal calories and will be less likely to overestimate your exercise calories when you resume exercising.

Also balance your intake! That means dividing 80% between three meals and the other 20% for snacks. If your body hasn't normalized all you are doing by exercising is emptying your glycogen stores and liberating water weight which will return as soon as you eat any carbs. . (3g water for every 1g glycogen stored).

If you are not balancing your food intake you are spiking your blood sugar and the bodies response is to bind the extra carbs to insulin and storing as fat.

This makes this fat extremely durable and hard to lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    did I read that right Diet49.....did you say to stop exercising for 4 weeks?
  • MadTurtle
    Options
    That's right Dave I did.

Loyola University Medical School just finished an in depth 10 year study using thousands of people and have found that there is absolutely no relationship between weight loss and exercise. None nada zip!

It does a lot of wonderful things but weight loss isn't one of them.

You must normalize your body and live on your guidelines. So that you have a solid base line then add the exercise to it.

The navy has determined that all it takes is two weeks to reverse all effects of cardio training and put you back at square one. So if you have lost all your weight without ever normalizing your body you are basically participating in a ponsie scheme or acting like a white knuckle drunk who has been told he can drink a beer at dinner if he doesn't drink any whiskey today. You exercise to get calories to maintain your un-normalized body . At some point you will quit exercising but you will continue eating the same calories and you will gain your weight back!

On the other hand if you do the 2 weeks of celery and discomfort and normalize your body. Your exercise will then be an addition to your lifestyle and its accompanying calories and if you stop you will still have your baseline and it will be ingrained in your body memory and you WILL NOT gain your weight back.

Now remember to take a deep breath and read this again as you quit understanding it as soon as I put your exercise calories on the block. Exercise is wonderful but if you are here to loose weight you are better off with not doing it right away.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That's right Dave I did.

Loyola University Medical School just finished an in depth 10 year study using thousands of people and have found that there is absolutely no relationship between weight loss and exercise. None nada zip!

It does a lot of wonderful things but weight loss isn't one of them.

You must normalize your body and live on your guidelines. So that you have a solid base line then add the exercise to it.

The navy has determined that all it takes is two weeks to reverse all effects of cardio training and put you back at square one. So if you have lost all your weight without ever normalizing your body you are basically participating in a ponsie scheme or acting like a white knuckle drunk who has been told he can drink a beer at dinner if he doesn't drink any whiskey today. You exercise to get calories to maintain your un-normalized body . At some point you will quit exercising but you will continue eating the same calories and you will gain your weight back!

On the other hand if you do the 2 weeks of celery and discomfort and normalize your body. Your exercise will then be an addition to your lifestyle and its accompanying calories and if you stop you will still have your baseline and it will be ingrained in your body memory and you WILL NOT gain your weight back.

Now remember to take a deep breath and read this again as you quit understanding it as soon as I put your exercise calories on the block. Exercise is wonderful but if you are hear to loose weight you are better of with not doing it right away.

There's no reason to stop exercising. Sure, it doesn't cause extra fat loss, but why stop? Why lose the cardiovascular endurance she's already built?

What do you mean by 'normalize'? I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the human body functions. :glasses:
  • MadTurtle
    Options
    Did you not read: The Navy has determined that all benefits of Cardio traing are completely reversed with in 2 weeks! They have even gone as far as to change the training for sailors returning from long leaves.

She has built up nothing! No one builds anymore than two weeks! Your muscles will not breathe at the same rate after two weeks. Whether your a cardio nut or a reformed couch potato/

Normalize:

Stabilize Blood Sugars: Learn to balance your intake with 3 meals and snacks. Anybody over weight more than twenty pounds has developed insulin resistance to some degree and is starting in some cases down the path to type 2 diabetes. I don't declare this on my own. Your insurance company and your Doctor and the AMA will tell you if you ask. This alone will take 2 to 4 weeks as the body is not a light switch. In some cases longer!

Glycogen Store: Most Americans don't drink enough water to keep it full and it takes 3g of water to store one gram of glycogen. The store for the average person is about two days worth of energy or carbs. Again the body is not a light switch and it takes time to properly fill this store. This store is what determines for your body whether you are starving or not and the reason you eat your exercise calories to refill the store.

So you have twin rails of weight loss. The trick is to stay between them If you spike your blood sugar through the day by not balancing your calories the body responds by binding the carbs to insulin to lower your blood sugar and stores them as extremely resilient fat. Such as unplanned exercise calories which are eaten at the end of the day to avoid shrinking ones stomach and lerning to live on your baseline calories. Of course the calories never get where they are going cause there bound as fat by the insulin and after a few days the glycogen stores are empty and you cant exercise enough to get enough calories so you finally binge and start the cycle over again.

I can't explain it any clearer than that. And like I said before if you never developed a solid base line and normalized your body you are only borrowing skinny at some point you will stop exercising and you will gain the weight back because your body will continue to need the calorie level you operate at with the exercise.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Did you not read: The Navy has determined that all benefits of Cardio traing are completely reversed with in 2 weeks! They have even gone as far as to change the training for sailors returning from long leaves.

She has built up nothing! No one builds anymore than two weeks! Your muscles will not breathe at the same rate after two weeks. Whether your a cardio nut or a reformed couch potato/

Normalize:

Stabilize Blood Sugars: Learn to balance your intake with 3 meals and snacks. Anybody over weight more than twenty pounds has developed insulin resistance to some degree and is starting in some cases down the path to type 2 diabetes. I don't declare this on my own. Your insurance company and your Doctor and the AMA will tell you if you ask. This alone will take 2 to 4 weeks as the body is not a light switch. In some cases longer!

Glycogen Store: Most Americans don't drink enough water to keep it full and it takes 3g of water to store one gram of glycogen. The store for the average person is about two days worth of energy or carbs. Again the body is not a light switch and it takes time to properly fill this store. This store is what determines for your body whether you are starving or not and the reason you eat your exercise calories to refill the store.

So you have twin rails of weight loss. The trick is to stay between them If you spike your blood sugar through the day by not balancing your calories the body responds by binding the carbs to insulin to lower your blood sugar and stores them as extremely resilient fat. Such as unplanned exercise calories which are eaten at the end of the day to avoid shrinking ones stomach and lerning to live on your baseline calories. Of course the calories never get where they are going cause there bound as fat by the insulin and after a few days the glycogen stores are empty and you cant exercise enough to get enough calories so you finally binge and start the cycle over again.

I can't explain it any clearer than that. And like I said before if you never developed a solid base line and normalized your body you are only borrowing skinny at some point you will stop exercising and you will gain the weight back because your body will continue to need the calorie level you operate at with the exercise.

Okay, it's clear you misunderstood the study.
    It's not that you STOP building cardiovascular endurance after 2 weeks. It's that, if you stop exercising, it takes about 2 weeks for your cardiac output to return to normal levels.

I am overweight according to BMI standards. I have a low % of body fat and a large amount of muscle. Do I have insulin resistance? I can tell you that I don't, and my non-fasted BG levels are around 75. Insulin sensitivity is related to much more than weight.

Did you forget about metabolic water? We produce H20 with every ATP-forming reaction. There is plenty of water available to bond with glycogen via diet (solid foods contain water) as well as the stuff that's produced every time we use up some glycogen.

Do you realize how much work it takes to use up your ENTIRE glycogen store? It's refilled constantly. When we have an excess of carbohydrates at a given time, the glucose is stored in the muscles and liver. When blood sugar gets low, glucose is liberated from the liver. When we exercise, the muscles use the stored glycogen. This whole cycle of using up all the glycogen and then binging is not going to happen because a) MFP has us eating 60% of our calories from carbs and b) that's just not a feedback loop in the body. It doesn't go low blood sugar -> binge. It goes low blood sugar-> glucagon -> glycogenolysis -> glucose ->insulin ->glucogenesis->glycogen.

If you were to stop exercising, you'd only need to eat fewer calories to maintain the weight loss. It's your own fault if you overeat.
  • MadTurtle
    Options
    Well maybe I don.t understand it nearly as clear as you seem to think you do. You didn't state anything different: it takes to 2 weeks to build cardiac output and it takes 2 weeks to lose it. Maybe with someone who is truly dedicated to exercise it will make a difference but to your average person that two weeks worth of build up is all there ever gonna have time for or want. So your talk of endurance is pretty much pointless as the average person is only gonna build to certain point and stop..

But I do understand human nature and I look at the ( If I estimated, hundreds) of people on this site that have gone years without losing anything not to mention the ones who have quit because to them dieting is this great mystery. Many have emotional issues and many just don't have the will or the ability to learn all of this stuff. So you throw what maybe there last chance away by insisting that they exercise. Many will make the error that I have just described. You tell them exercise you can eat more!

Then you write me that it is their fault they overeat. For god sakes I saw a newcomer asking how many calories she got for shopping!

Sure I agree it is very hard to empty the glycogen store but does it need to be empty to put you into starvation mode. Not really

Having been on all kinds of diets all my life I have to say that is extremely easy to deplete your Glycogen store to the point where all weight loss stops.

For many this site is there last chance. Sometimes people have to walk before they can run. You are dealing with broken people who need a straight clear path. They will seek a healthy level of exercise as they lose weight naturally. I can't help that you have developed so much muscle mass that you are now overweight.

And one more thing. I am a Garbage route supervisor for a small city, I have many years of experience dealing with men who get huge amounts of exercise. Walking 5 miles a day or stepping a 22"garbage truck step hundreds of times a day in a short period of time as we still have personalized back door service. Not to mention the 8 tons or more that they load on the truck by hand. There are very few who don't balloon up when they come off the trucks for good unless they go to a very strict regulated diet and believe me they suffer. Just as many on this site who start exercising immediately and build there weight loss on "un-normalized metabolism" will and for them it will be just another diet binge cycle when the exercise stops or the weight loss stops or both.

I see you deleted my other post so this will be my last. I guess you can delete this too.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Ok, go harass another website and make the people there feel bad about their weight loss.
  • caseynjason
    caseynjason Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    flame!!:explode:
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    with a little bit of respect for another human being here, I totally disagree with Dietguy who said quit exercising for four weeks. That is just absurd unless you are injured.

It just goes to show that not everyone here is going to agree but he is against what I have learned and what I want.

I am glad we have people like SongByrd here.

thanks
    Dave